Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Streamers!

Calling all Streamers!

Do you stream your sessions of The Banner Saga: Factions? If so, we want to know as do other Vikings. So post a link to your profile on where you stream your games in this thread and we'll do our best to keep an updated link at the top here so others can easily find you.

Looking to stream your games but unsure how to? There are a few sites out there dedicated to promoting them as well as a few different applications you can use. Currently, the most popular site is Twitch.tv but other popular ones are Livestream, Justin.tv, and Ustream.

There are more than a handful of applications you can use to stream. Personally, I've used XSplit, FFsplit, and OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). The last one is the one I'm currently using but the other two (and others) work just as well. It really depends on your personal preference and which you find easiest to use.

Last edited by Guğmundr; 10-22-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added LoliSauce to the streams list.
    Sean "Ashen Temper" Dahlberg
    http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Also, here is a post by raven2134 a few months back on those looking for help with settings:

For streamers wanting some help with settings:

I run on 6-700 kbps upload, so I'm not able to stream HD. However, it's still possible to get the image quality good enough that you can read the in-game chat.

I'm running on Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, so I suggest you get that for streaming. Of course you'll also need a screen capture software, I'm running VHScrCap.

The Screen capture is simple enough, just set the area you want to capture. As for the streaming software, you can get the stream information from your streaming site, if they have a config or dashboard. You'll need their flash server address and channel key.

To improve the image quality you need to do a few things.
    1. Identify your upload speed. I suggest going to Speedtest.net and try a server that's somewhat far away. (I live in the Philippines and tested versus a CA Westcoast Server).

2. Once you know your Upload speed, set your bitrate on the FMLE so that you have at least 100 Kbps left on your upload bandwidth (other people suggest 20-25% of your bandwidth remaining).

3. Set your input and output resolution. The input is what size your media encoder will ENCODE for the stream, the output is what your encoder will UPLOAD (this will affect what the image will look like when put in fullscreen). Input is dependent on what your CPU can handle, output has no real issues that I've seen. Set your output BELOW or AT your input level to avoid image degradation.

Note: The higher the input, the better the source image, the better the output, the better the stream will look minimized and maximized.

4. You can set the audio line in audio. No real issues here, it's easier if you have a mic so you can just record your speakers. Or you can try getting a virtual line in cable/getting your "internal mic to listen to itself"

5. Check the total bandwidth usage, should be somewhere in the bottom center. If you're good to go, make sure you "connect" to your stream and its server, then hit the Green Start button to begin encoding and uploading. Check your Streamer online and begin broadcast.

Is there a reason I can't see any of Druski's previous streams but I can of everyone else's?

OBS is my choice of stream as it offers the highest quality for 0 price. However it requires you to have a very good CPU to run it at a decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiri View Post
    Is there a reason I can't see any of Druski's previous streams but I can of everyone else's?
    He may have them hidden / unapproved. I'll point this out to him and see if he can better respond.

I don't think i have it set to save streams shiri. I also am in the process of getting a new PC which will make the game playable while streaming, right now even though its possible, the lag of my older pc really makes it difficult to enjoy (though I am rather proud of the twitch page itself that i've setup)

http://www.twitch.tv/conundrum89

There are only two games up at the moment, but I'll be streaming some more soon!

Ill start my stream tomorrow when I have a chance to fiddle with the settings a bit ^_^. You guys are awesome for doing this!

I'm going to do this also. Can we make this thread a sticky?

It's already a widget on the side of the website and I think there will be future additions to make this more visible. We'll hold off on stickying for now.

Ah, sounds good.

I'm also going to get back to streaming tomorrow. Will report to the chatbox when I broadcast, and you can watch my win/loss dwindle as it actually dwindles, LIVE!

Posted a video of a complete match, open broadcaster looks nice and as powerful as xsplit so I might try my hand at streaming in the future.

Hi all,

I am having a problem viewing the streams and I am wondering if anyone can help me out. When I go to twitch every video I want to watch (any of the streams above) i get this error : Sorry this broadcast is no longer available on justin.tv Check out the channel!

I have tried watching them on multiple computers, even on my phone. Anyone know a fix? These are past videos not current online streams.

Thanks for any help.

Going to be streaming now. =p

As i'm the last post i will just edit this one with my stream status when i go live(down/up): DOWN

Streamed some more, got a few games in before the server went down again. Commentary included. Quality / sound levels much improved in this session.
    link to vod:
    http://www.twitch.tv/chaokel/b/372242289
    More inbetween server problems
    http://www.twitch.tv/chaokel/b/372284716

Just finished streaming some of the tournament, played 4 tournament games. Went 3:1, includes commentary. I have a lot of stuff to iron out, like sound levels, and quality. I know there was a lot of blurring. I will be fixing that up next time (i just wanted to get live quickly in time for the tournament), and probably streaming more matches tomorrow with commentary.

http://www.twitch.tv/chaokel/b/371946655?t=80m00s

note: I was online and waiting for the tournament to go live for 15-20minutes, then the servers went down and i played some typing game and chatted to my friends. which is what the previous hour of the vod is.
    Last edited by Chaokel; 03-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Good stream Chaokel!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaokel View Post
    note: I was online and waiting for the tournament to go live for 15-20minutes, then the servers went down and i played some typing game and chatted to my friends. which is what the previous hour of the vod is.
    Yep, was going too as well but then that happened right as it was about to start. Think Arnie said something about the server host crashing?

Perhaps we could all take place in a elimination tournament and stream it? =p

Hello. I have also been streaming Banner Saga.
    My channel is here: http://en.twitch.tv/tomme25

Quote Originally Posted by Midnitte View Post
    Yep, was going too as well but then that happened right as it was about to start. Think Arnie said something about the server host crashing?

Perhaps we could all take place in a elimination tournament and stream it? =p
    I would be happy to be a part of something like this, let me know if you get anybody else interested.

edit: Played 5 tournament games and some matchmaking, some super close matches against quite good opponents. Once again commentary is included, i talk about my thoughts about units, strategies and everything else i can think of. Vod can be found here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/chaokel/b/372912508
    Last edited by Chaokel; 03-02-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast