Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Factions Battle Planner (Build Calculator)

  1. #1

    Factions Battle Planner (Build Calculator)

    EDIT: Updated 3/20/13 to support Factions build 1.6.43 and Siege Archer : Max Armor is now 9, Max Willpower is now 13

    Hi folks,

    I've been hard at work on a Build Calculator for Factions. Here's what you can do with it so far:

    • customize builds for each class in your loadout
    • supports all rank 1, 2 and 3 classes
    • validates stat min/max and unit max_stats
    • allow users to reset unit stats to defaults in the stat editor
    • bookmarkable urls to builds
    • stat overlays on portraits for a "quick glance" at your build numbers
    • re-order loadout


    Here's my TODO list with future enhancements that I'm actively working on:

    • enforce loadout classtype limits (so you can't have 3 varls) etc..
    • printable roster sheets (with a list of stats per class in the build in a nice table/grid)
    • add flavor text and iconography for classes
    • add special ability descriptions for classes


    Anyways, I'd love some testers and feedback on how this can be improved. My plan is to keep it up to date with official builds of the game and add more classes and ranks of units once they are added.

    Cheers!

    Dave

    Here's a sample build bookmarked.



    Last edited by davemo; 03-20-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: with build 1.6.43 changes (siege archer stats)

  2. #2
    Great work! Keep it up!

  3. #3
    Junior Member sinogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1
    very cool
    thanks for that

  4. #4
    Junior Member eAZy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12
    Really awesome man, this is great! Can be useful later on if we ever have a "feature build", or for people to easily share loadouts on the forums.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sweetjer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific NW, United States
    Posts
    229
    Nice, davemo, thanks for this! We should link this up to the wikidot.

  6. #6
    Cool, that was fast! It's very intuitive except that I expect, when I have open squares but haven't clicked one, the next unit I select will take the leftmost open spot (as in the Proving Grounds).

    Other requests for some time beyond your todo:
    • color variations,
    • confirm on removal from team,
    • clicking squares to switch positions,
    • seeing the roster sheet in the build calculator itself, so all the stats can be seen at once (for example, by putting the numbers under each portrait),
    • instead of a printable roster sheet, an image that can be embedded in a thread on the forums with all the info described compactly,
    • and it would be really cool if there were a parser so someone could enter, e.g.,

    Code:
    rm 12/8/4/2/3
    ...
    (as some folks on the forum seem to do) and have that translated into the appropriate build/url.

    EDIT: Oh right, it's linked on the front page now of the wikidot wiki now.
    Last edited by franknarf; 03-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Thanks frank, great feature requests; I will add those to my list. Next in priority is a stat overlay for each portrait as you suggested.

    Edit:**

    Just pushed a build that adds this feature

    • confirm on removal from team
    Last edited by davemo; 03-01-2013 at 05:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jorgensager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    117
    Very nice!

    Although a bit unintuitive to realise I had to click on the open slots before I could fill them ~ the triangle to indicate which one is active is a bit subtle, and disappears after you fill a slot (i.e. if you don't notice it at start you could be lost for a minute, like I was ).

    If you implement frank's first suggestion (i.e. fill leftmost open slot on additional clicks), possibly add a "back" button or so that takes you back to the overview screen after customising a unit. I understand that this is unnecessary, but it would possibly make it more intuitive?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgensager View Post
    Very nice!

    If you implement frank's first suggestion (i.e. fill leftmost open slot on additional clicks), possibly add a "back" button or so that takes you back to the overview screen after customising a unit. I understand that this is unnecessary, but it would possibly make it more intuitive?
    Pushed a new build that has this as well as stat overlays underneath portraits. Also got rid of the little arrow; let me know what you think

    http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/



  10. #10
    Backer Slimsy Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    461
    Wow this is really awesome Davemo - an epic tool for tweaking your build to perfection while you are out of the game. Thanks man!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jorgensager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by davemo View Post
    Pushed a new build that has this as well as stat overlays underneath portraits. Also got rid of the little arrow; let me know what you think
    O_o I'm in awe!

    Now, if you could display the <skill points distributed> counter in a corner of the images that would be really helpful! (I.e. 0/11 as default then if you add 3 points to strength it will say 3/11)... so that we can see if they have maxed skills without clicking on each individual one.

    Out of curiosity... what is this written in, and if I want to learn doing awesome things like this, where would I start? ^_^

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgensager View Post
    Now, if you could display the <skill points distributed> counter in a corner of the images that would be really helpful! (I.e. 0/11 as default then if you add 3 points to strength it will say 3/11)... so that we can see if they have maxed skills without clicking on each individual one.
    That should be easy to add, let me see if I can crank it out fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgensager View Post
    Out of curiosity... what is this written in, and if I want to learn doing awesome things like this, where would I start? ^_^
    This is written entirely in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. The source code is in CoffeeScript which compiles down to JavaScript; I have a build process setup to construct all the pieces and put them together using a tool that myself and a co-worker wrote called Lineman.

    If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profile:

    https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jorgensager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by davemo View Post
    This is written entirely in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. The source code is in CoffeeScript which compiles down to JavaScript; I have a build process setup to construct all the pieces and put them together using a tool that myself and a co-worker wrote called Lineman.

    If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profile:
    Thanks a lot! I only know a couple of programming languages which make this GUI look very impressive.

    Very interested, actually! Thanks! I'm working on a log file interpreter (pretty much just to recap the battles in English, for the specially interested == me) but have no idea how to make a program out of it when it's done (also a big problem with it is that it relies on the log format which could change at any time and break the whole thing ^_^)

  14.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Art Director Arnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    924
    davemo. Badass. What else to say? We gotta hype this when it's done.
    Ps. If you wanted to make the lettering more like the game we use minion pro and vinque. Up to you.
    Last edited by Arnie; 03-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    davemo. Badass. What else to say? We gotta hype this when it's done.
    Ps. If you wanted to make the lettering more like the game we use minion pro and vinque. Up to you.
    Awesome, thanks Arnie! I was going to ask what fonts you use, I'll see what I can do to either make a webfont version of those or see if there is a freely available webfont that looks similar.

    Consider it added to my todo list
    Last edited by davemo; 03-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgensager View Post
    Now, if you could display the <skill points distributed> counter in a corner of the images that would be really helpful! (I.e. 0/11 as default then if you add 3 points to strength it will say 3/11)... so that we can see if they have maxed skills without clicking on each individual one.
    Just pushed a build with this feature, but also found a bug when you swap between multiple units in the editor, so that's my next priority.


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by davemo View Post
    If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profile
    Respect.

  18. #18
    Senior Member sweetjer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific NW, United States
    Posts
    229
    This might sound like a crazy suggestion but how about adding some features in-game doesn't have? For instance: Total stats for your build, like total break/str/armor/etc distributed across the team, average break/str/wp/etc per unit, that kind of thing. Might be sort of useless, but I can see some applications, for instance comparing the average break on two builds you like or something like that.
    Last edited by sweetjer; 03-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetjer View Post
    This might sound like a crazy suggestion but how about adding some features in-game doesn't have? For instance: Total stats for your build, like total break distributed across the team, average per unit, that kind of thing. Might be sort of useless, but I can see some applications, for instance comparing the average break on two builds you like or something like that.
    Yeah, meta stats (as I like to call that stuff) are definitely something I'm intrigued about. I'm going to get the core features like the bookmarkable url and bugs fixed next, but I'm totally open to building some analysis into the tool

  20. #20
    Senior Member sweetjer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pacific NW, United States
    Posts
    229
    good point, no use feature creeping the project before the basics are all there, but glad to hear you were already considering analytic applications of this tool. bookmarkable url's sounds like a great added function.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •