Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Banner Map

Lightbulb Banner Map

Release candidate getting closer but I might run out of time before the final cut, so here it is.

EDIT: Managed to fix some of the problems:
    - added custom cursor;
    - save/load now works for maps, doodads and units;
    - added doodads are listed in "add doodad" window, and can be removed (few selected from the list or all);
    - buff/debuff doodads are now working, but have been moved to "add unit"/"edit unit" screens. They are now displayed on units, in upper right corner. As a result the save files from earlier versions will not work with this one;

>>>>> FILES (Updated Version)

http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMapFinal.swf - online viewing (right-click and "Save target as" to download from this source)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ef001u - downloadable ("Click here to start download from sendspace" is the right one. Beware the tricky adds!)

>>>>> FILES (Manual Version)
    http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf - online viewing (right-click and "Save target as" to download from this source)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/5h6hgt - downloadable ("Click here to start download from sendspace" is the right one. Beware the tricky adds!)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/2p4odl - source (zipped, 175MB, contains previous *.swf, sources, cut and uncut materials)

>>>>> MANUAL
    Upon starting the app, You will see something like this:

To start things off, let's click on the "options" button in menu section:

Ignore the left part for now, and take a look at what's on right:
    - starting player - allows to pick which player has his starting zone on top, and goes first in the initiative bar
    - make starting locations visible - toggle the colored grid on current map's starting locations
    - map selection - click on the arrows to browse through available map pool, You will see the map name below. If the map size is smaller than 16x16, the background wooden floor will become visible. Last map is an empty sandbox.
    - horn status - adjust the number of horn uses for each player. Clicking on the button increases the value, if the value reaches max (6) it will go back to 0. Alternatively You can mouse over the button and use mouse wheel scroll up/down to increase/decrease. This mechanic will be used often later on.

Let's make the red player start, turn on the starting locations visibility, select the (everyone's favorite) Great Hall map, and give both players one horn use. Click on options again to see the results:

As You can see the grid tiles are missing from the spots, You normally wouldn't be allowed to move on. It's just an indicator though - You can still break the rules and drag Your units there if You wish.

Let's fill the map! Click on the "add new unit" button in menu section:

It does a pretty decent job at explaining itself, so let's do what it says: let's add a Thrasher, max his strength and armor quickly by scrolling up, click twice on willpower, to set it to 5, and max his exertion. There! A perfect Thrasher. Oh? What's this?

The red font of total spent points indicator informs us that we went a bit too far, and it would not be possible to create such unit in game. We can ignore it and max all stats, or even select the numbers and manually type in some unreal numbers, but for now let's fix our unit by increasing his level to 3 and lowering armor to 10.
    Now we need to add some battle scars, to emulate his recent encounter with a Shieldmaster - let's lower the current armor down to 5 by either clicking or scrolling down on blue button left from the "shield":

All that is left is selecting the unit owner - let's give him to our starting player - red.
    Click "apply" to proceed.

There he is! All alone The red "glow" around him indicates that he just arrived to the battlefield and needs to be repositioned. Let's move him into the fire pit
    Now, two things You probably noticed is that the numbers on him are very small and hard to read and that there are two new icons appearing when we mouse over him.

The first issue is partially resolved thanks to "unit details" information panel in lower right corner. We can also zoom the board in using "zoom" button in menu, just above. While zoomed, You can use WASD keys to move the board around and position it to best illustrate the situation on board. The button changes between 100%, 150% zoomed or 200% zoomed modes.

The two icons that appear when moused over a unit are edit button (green) and delete button (red). Let's make use of them now and apply 1 strength damage to the Thrasher for walking into the fire.

Now, let's zoom out ("zoom" button) and give the red player some more units, use the "add new unit" button two more times to add any unit You want, any mistakes can be corrected using edit/delete.

I picked a Skystriker and some VERY heavy armored Shieldmaster:

Ahh! You can't see the whole number Let's fix that by clicking on the varl - last unit touched will always land on top:

There, much better. Let's bask a bit in the glory of his glorious armor value and move on.

To save time let's load the blue players pieces from DaveMo's Battle Planner. Quick search in "judge my build" thread on this forum resulted in Butter's early power 12 squad http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp....IsMSwyXV1dXQ==

Let's go there, copy the whole link and get back to "options" screen in Battle Map. Paste the link under DaveMo import, and press "import for blue player":

To see the effects we need to close the options screen:

There they are! Ready for action! To even the odds a bit let's give the red player a siege archer, and add some fireworks.
    Once the siege archer is in, click on "add doodad" button in menu section:

Here we can add some non-unit pieces to the board. Let's throw some fire in. Once You click the selected doodad, You will automatically be transported back to the map with the doodad of Your choice in hand (note: the unit effects doodads are currently unavailable, also once added, the doodads cannot be removed). Click in front of the blue player squad to place it:

You will notice I added some more doodads on the ground, and that the doodads are bigger than the units (note: I messed it up and placed a blue RoA instead of red, once again - the doodads cannot be removed in this version so be careful). This is to help illustrating situations, where a unit stepped on the hazard. Let's trap one of blue player's units in rain of arrows:

Thanks to the arrow tips on the edges, we can illustrate him being trapped. I also manually reduced his hp to show, he had to cross two SnB fires just to get there (green edit function on the poor guy, strength button next to the shield and double click or scroll down, remember?).

We have our battle almost setup. We just need to fill the initiative bar. Hop into "options" again and click "import units" under the "initiative order".

As a result all the units will be presented in two columns (blue and red owner) in the same order, they appeared on the map (note: here You were supposed to be able to drag them into the blue and red bars in the order of Your choice to mix the initial order - sadly not available yet). Click on the "options" button to exit and see what changed:

Ahh yes, the initiative bar is finally filled with units. From now on mousing over a unit will also highlight its portrait on the initiative bar.

We are ready to present our battle to the world. There are two ways to do it:
    - take photo - take a picture of the battlefield and save it as an *.jpg file

- save battle - save the situation to a text file (*.txt or *.btl)

Here is the file with our current situation: http://rensei.webs.com/rensei.btl, You can pass it to a friend, who then can open the app and use "load battle" button (note: the doodads won't be saved in this version, opening a good "alternative" way to delete them, if You messed something up, like I did with the blue RoA).

As a final step let's delete all the red player's units (he was messing with Butters after all) safe from the Shieldmaster. You will notice it messed up our pretty initiative bar
    To fix this, we can simply hide the overlay by pressing "overlay" button in menu section and nobody will ever know, OR go back to the "options" section and click "import units" again. While we are at it, lets turn the starting zones visibility off (the battle is on the way, so we don't need them anymore).

Since the last man standing means pillage, the initiative bar got shorter, and no longer puts units from one side after the other. The player with one unit left is put at the star of the queue (note: from here I planned adding the option to drag the units on board directly to the initiative bar, to allow custom setups, sadly - it also did not make it to this version).

Have fun.
    Last edited by Rensei; 05-14-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Awesome! I will check this out sometime this week. Expect to see some awesome analysis on my stream if I can get the hang of this programme

By Odin's eye! This is incredibly awesome! What a level up O_O

Gona play around with it. Stoic will be very interested in this

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    This is pretty over-the-top. I will bring it to Johns attention on the morrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    This is pretty over-the-top. I will bring it to Johns attention on the morrow!
    Incoming law suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    Incoming law suit!
    Either that, or a job proposal

In any case, it seems like we're getting TBSF-on-the-browswer before the Saga!

Awesome work Rensei *bows in respect*

The lawsuit only takes place if Rensei refuses to work for Stoic.

Someone needs to get her Flash

This really needs to be integrated into the game itself O.o. That is some amazing work btw. Maybe if things are played right, this could be our replay feature. A lot of what you've done really reminds me of how chess analysis is done. You've got my support!

Found some time for a small update:
    - added custom cursor;
    - save/load now works for maps, doodads and units;
    - added doodads are listed in "add doodad" window, and can be removed (few selected from the list or all);
    - buff/debuff doodads are now working, but have been moved to "add unit"/"edit unit" screens. They are now displayed on units, in upper right corner. As a result the save files from earlier versions will not work with this one;

Files will be posted later in the opening post.

Everything is cool except for one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimLoki View Post
    Everything is cool except for one thing...
    Loki, you've started being really afraid of clicking on the "wrong banner" eh? Good. Caution takes you a long way. It's the "Click here to start d/l from sendspace" one. Typically, it's the button that shouts-out "click me" the least

^^^ This. Also never click "Donwload" or "Play" buttons, if they are within add border, have [x] or timer nearby.

And get an add-blocker (while they are not completely banned).

As an alternative, the direct link (http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf) can be right-clicked on - simply select "save target as".

Rensei,

Have you yet implemented the "one-click show" feature on this app? You know, something URL-friendly (like DameMo's app), where clicking on a hyperlink brings up the map layout. Images are cool, but need the buiild/save/load/printscreen/publish etc cycle. If there is some way to directly feed the .BTL save-file when loading the applet?

Thanks in advance,

Aleonymous

Is rensei still active? Would love to check this and the other projects out, but the links aren't working and I'm having trouble opening the .tif files.

Wow, it's been 2.5 years since all that... No, I doubt Rensei is active, but I might have archived her project somewhere; I will have to get back to you on this!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Thanks!

Here's a dropbox link to the latest version of "Banner Map" that I have locally stored:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kexi60dqk...p%203.swf?dl=0 (dated 8-May-2013)

It can be opened/played by most browsers, e.g. FireFox.

EDIT: I also have Rensei's source-codes, but it's only 13MB (she mentions 175MB) so it might be some older version. Ask and thou shalt receive.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 01-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this. Got lot of information.