Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Other games you play?

Other games you play?

just wondering if you play any other PC games (looking for other turn-based or strategy)
    Last edited by roder; 12-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.

things i'm playing when not in tbs:

League of Legends
    Civilization IV (5 was terribad) try the Master of Mana mod to turn it into a fantasy game
    Borderlands 2
    classic EverQuest on an emulated server (p99)

FTL, Minecraft, Farcry 3

Not too many strategy games for me: Skyrim, Minecraft, PES 2013, Peggle.

Another game I played and really admired a while ago was LIMBO. A little dark-themed platformer/puzzle, but with truly awesome art design.

nevermind
    Last edited by vrolok83; 05-23-2013 at 10:46 AM.

might check out FTL, used to play LoL for 2 years but the community was kinda bad lol

some strategy games im looking forward to are possibly Scrolls (studio that made minecraft), and Hex.

Xenonauts. It's still in beta and quite rough around the edges, but it came to be finally near feature-complete and playable. It's way more X-Com than XCOM:EU was, so if you didn't like that one because it was "dumbed down" or something (I personally enjoyed it very much, to bad I couldn't finish the mod I was working on), Xenonauts is definitely the game for you.
    So much stress, so much punishment, so many emergent stories with those poor little guys getting mowed downi by the aliens. It's leagues above the other X-Com homage/clones we had until now (OpenXCom, UFO:AI, etc). I'm having heaps of fun with it !

Also, in a quite different genre, Gunpoint. Awesome indie, very refreshing and amusing.

Just started out in Scrolls, the mechanics don't seem half bad. I'm kinda tired with the TCG model though (I had my fair share of MTG back in the day). Didn't get to PvP yet, it looks pretty good apart from the possibly tedious deck-building and "premium currency" you don't seem to get anywhere else than the real money store.

I'm also tempted to buy into the beta for the Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, anybody in there ? Thoughts ?
    Last edited by Butters; 06-12-2013 at 04:12 AM.

FTL is what I've been playing on PC. Metro: Last light on 360. Will probably pick up borderlands 2 again when the new dlc drops (360 again).

Butters, what's the price point for Xenonauts? I loved XCOM:EU, and wouldn't mind some more similar game play... Do you like Scrolls? I only found one video of someone playing, and he was an idiot. I thought about picking it up, but am hesitant to pull the trigger without a demo of some kind. I feel like it'd work better as free to play if it's also got a real money store, but that's just me. Mighty Quest for Epic Loot looks great, went and signed up for the closed beta last night. Not sure if I'll buy my way in or not.
    Avatar/banner done by StandSure.

Don't remember how much xenonauts was, probably somewhere around 20 USD. Fair, if you ask me.
    Scrolls, it's too earlly to tell. I had just 1 PvP match, it was actually quite fun, but against a much better deck than mine, so that was a bit frustrating. A game can go on much longer than I expected. It was quickmatch though so I guess that just like Factions I'd have better luck finding a balanced match in Ranked. There are not a lot of possibilities in deckbuilding in the first few hours of play apparently, so that's a bit frustrating. It feels like it's steering me to the premium shop, which does not feel right as I have already paid for this game !

Been looking at E3 a lot these past days. Dunno if anyone is a console gamer but there's a few good games to look forward to. Been playing on my 360 lately, also going to try playing Guns Of Icarus again (airship battle game, think TF2 but in a ship floating in air haha)

While on my recent travel stint I've been playing a ton of mobile games. On iOS all my time has delved into Star Wars the Old Republic, Warhammer Quest, and Kingom Rush: Frontiers. Those are all awesome!

Lately I haven't been available to keep up with my PC gaming, but I did play Mojang Scrolls (open Beta) real briefly (which is a sort of Turn Based Strategy / collectable card game hybird) and it definatley piqued my interest.
    Last edited by raven2134; 06-14-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: guess which word I changed :)

I really want to play Scrolls, yet I don't have a debit card, buying pre-paid visas almost always screws me (not a valid payment option bullharky), paypal's verification process is so effin' redundant, they never verify me. Ugh.

FTL is pretty fun. Gunpoint is amazing, but you can beat it in 2 hours. I'd highly recommend Mark of The Ninja - fantastic game.

Some recommendations:
    ♫ Dust: An Elysian Tale (action-rpg platformer, all hand drawn)
    ♫ RPGmaker.net (a lot of free RPGs)
    ♫ Space Pirates vs Zombies - very fun space action game with nice manageability/customization.
    ♫ The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Hack'n'slash Dugeon crawler (Diablo/Torchlight like)
    ♫ Telepath Tactics - There are a couple of them, one in development right now, the one before it, can;t remember the name right out, but it's an SRPG.

If I think of anymore or come across some new ones, I'll post 'em.

Telepath Tactics I am very much looking forward to. The previous that's already out has some nice things but is a bit "cheap" ; the production value on the upcoming one seems much higher.
    SPaZ didn't click for me, but the concept is cool and the writing seemed quite fun.
    Van Helsing I found a bit underwhelming. It has a nice system and some good ideas, but the abilities seem very limited in the end. I hear ranged in particular is underwhelming ; that's what I had been playing, so maybe melee is more interesting.
    I also can get behind Mark of the Ninja, it's a really cool game.
    Talking about ninjas, the good old flash game N+ has been re-released recently in v2.0, and it's still awesome, in a throw-your-keyboard-against-the-wall kind of way...

Does anyone play other turn based strategy games similar to Factions?

Some turn-based greenlight games I voted up that I'm looking forward to:
    Just Tactics
    Worlds of Magic
    Last edited by roder; 06-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.

I recently got my beta key to CardHunter and I am hooked. It's rather excellent, Turn-based Card-battle Grid-based. You can sign up for a key whenever - they give them out randomly (500 a day). I waited 4 months for mine, some people get them within a week, others have waited more than a year - Random. Seems like more people get them before their birthday (I got mine, and you see a lot of posts about it on FB)

This is an excellent Facebook group dedicated to Turn-Based Strategy. And another excellent website for TBS is TBSTactics.

Deadpool is rather fun, more for the story. The fighting is fun - but gets old.

Hey! The new Humble Weekly Sale includes the King's Bounty Games. Are the games any good from a TBS-viewpoint?

King's Bounty is "Heroes of Might and Magic" without cities. Or, if to follow chronological line, the opposite, cause KB was a predecessor to HoMM.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Hmmm been playing chess while I was away from Factions, went from 800ELO to 1400ELO (online) haha I thought that was pretty good progress.

I just came across a really interesting turn-based strategy game called Dogs of War, its in closed beta on steam, but its looking really good in preview. Really can't wait for Saga Chapter 1 though

EDIT: Just got into Dogs of War closed beta on steam haha just sent a msg to the admin on their forums and they replied back with a key
    Last edited by roder; 12-06-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Final Fantasy
    Diablo3
    Guild wars2
    Fifa-14

Games I play that are either turn-based or strategy (or both):
    - The Banner Saga
    11 hours in. loving it so far

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within
    EW makes it better...but the game could be better. That said, I'd still recommend it. I hope there are more updates/expansions, esp. if it brings it closer in line to the original.

- Civilization 5
    The core game is so-so (I think my favourite is still Civ2), but w/ the Gods & Kings and Brave New World expansions, the game is improved enough, considerably, to call it "good", IMHO

- Empire: Total War
    Bugs/stability issues aside, it's still the largest Total War game in terms of scope (even if I wish that there were more territories/states. I mean, France being just one territory?), and it's been much improved by mods, particularly DarthMod. I like it better, overall, than Napoleon.
    Shogun 2 is also good, but I prefer Empire's setting more. I think my "dream" Creative Assembly project would merge Paradox's Europa Universalis w/ Total War's battle engine...

- stuff I play from time to time that's installed: Crusader Kings: DV (primarily 'cause of the westeros/ASoIaF mod) & CK2, Europa Universalis III Complete, Hearts of Iron Anthology (Kaiserreich mod), Wargame: Airland Battle, STORM: Frontline Nation, Warlock: MoA, Theme Hospital, StarCraft 2: HotS, Hearthstone and maybe some other stuff

Really wish I had more time for Crusader Kings 2...I keep buying the DLC during Steam sales, but I barely touch it :P

Non-strategy/turn-based stuff that's installed and which I play frequently or from time to time (in no order):
    World of Tanks, Mechwarrior Online, Battlefield 3/4, The Witcher 2, Assassin's Creed 3 (should've finished it already, but AC4 won't run despite exceeding recommended specs, so I took a break), Remember Me (pretty game, wish it allowed for more freedom of movement/exploration), Dead Space 3 (for co-op fun), some MMOs (LotRO, SWTOR, GW2, etc.), Ni No Kuni (PS3), Dragon's Dogma (PS3), DUST 514, thinking of playing through the Uncharted games again, etc.

What I'd recommend:
    For turn-based (other than, well, Banner Saga lol) : XCOM: Enemy Unknown w/ the Enemy Within expansion
    Non turn-based strategy: Starcraft 2 WoL/HotS
    Non strategy: The Witcher 2

...oh. I remembered RPGs. Fallout and Dragon Age: Origins and great stuff like 'em. Hope you all got the older Fallout games when gog.com was giving 'em away. lol.
    "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast