Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Promising Kickstarters

The Great Whale Road by Sunburned Games [Official site] is currently on Kickstarter. It has a LOT of similarities with the TBS (RPG, turn-based battles, Renown etc) but, it's somewhat historically focused on Vikings rather than fiction/fantasy...

And a video from the turn-based tactical combat system:
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 11-24-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Looks interesting, combat could be pretty deep. I don't like those half statues without legs, it looks kind of weird. I am not sure they will manage to get this funded, they have almost week in campaign, but only nearly ten percent collected. I wish them good luck, but it might be hard to get all the money before Christmas.

Yes, these "three-quarter" sprites are really weird to look upon I wonder why they choce this style, instead of standard choices like full-height (100%) or portrait or face (50% or 25% height).

Here's a demo of their battle system: http://www.the-great-whale-road.com/development-taster/ (currently Windows only)

Downloading it now, probably will check it on weekend.

The animation of the seagull flying across the screen is so bad. Looked like the seagull was skating across the ship's floor.

It looks somewhat interesting, the viking settings, the more historically/realistic focused story, the art style, etc however i really dislike the lack of movement and battle/combat animations. I have never been one who really likes card games, and this is just too similar to the eye.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

I just wanted to bring up a bunch of upcoming Tactical RPGs that currently I'm playing, beta-testing or following:

1. The Great Whale Road by Sunburned Games. Really interesting re-mix of what we like in The Banner Saga, but from a more historical viking perspective. Tactical combat is not bad either, but it's still under development so many things are not set in stone yet. TGWR failed its Kickstarter goal, but devs kept pushing on and they're slowly but steadily building their game.

2. Sword Legacy: Omen by a small Brazilian indie studio. Seems like a re-mix of Arthurian legend/adventure, with XCOM-like tactical turn-based combat "on-the-go", somewhat like Shadowrun or Divinity games (where the regular board you're walking on turns into a grid when enemies show up). The game will hit Steam Greenlight/Early-Access soonish; they are currently in alpha phase and are looking for feedback on a short (~30 min) segment of their game. If you're interested to try the alpha demo, do contact them via their social networks, e.g. Twitter.

3. Ash of Gods: Redemption, from Moscow devs Aurum Dust, is heavily inspired by The Banner Saga (mostly in terms of artwork) and isn't shy in displaying it! The story/world is of course totally different as is their claim on (a) an all-new approach to tactical combat and (b) rogue-like story telling. They also throw a few more appealing stuff in the mix, like "adaptive AI" or a light PVP-mode as a test-platform for the main game (just like Factions!). They're gonna go Kickstarter at some point and of course target PC platform mainly. Do check their FAQ and their combat prototype (quite raw yet).

4. Wartile is about miniature-looking sprites/units fighting in real-time! Gorgeous 3D computer graphics on this one, but not sure how the game actually plays. I'm hoping to grab a "ticket" to their closed beta... I found out that its devs (Playwood Project Aps) cancelled their KS campaign midway.

5. Sacred Fire by PoeticStudio, is an interesting take on narration-based RPG and event-handling via "motives, ideas, feelings"; combat is similarly unconventional. I'm really curious to see where this goes. The game's trailer features narration by the actor that made Geralt's (Witcher 3) voice A Kickstarter is planned for March 2017, so stay tuned.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 12-07-2016 at 05:00 PM.

I regreat so much backing Skyshine's Bedlam!!! Anyways, you guys should try out The Dwarves, it had a very successfull kicktarter run and recently was released to great critical aclaim. I have been playing it lately and its really good, i havent read the novels its based on however.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    I regreat so much backing Skyshine's Bedlam!!!
    Why that? Also, thanks for the tip on "The Dwarves"; doesn't look like the game I'm likely to play (soon), but it seems well made!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Why that? Also, thanks for the tip on "The Dwarves"; doesn't look like the game I'm likely to play (soon), but it seems well made!
    Unfulfilled Kickstarter promisses, lack of comunication and anty-consumer atitude from part of the developers... and the game itself being flawed to say the best... A real shame how things turned out.

Well, that's an example of how many things can go badly, even when a game is starting "leveraged"! I am referring to Skyshine: (a) not having to work on the game-engine as it was made by Stoic and (b) enjoying an eager player-base that wants to play the same combat system, in a sci-fi setting with a roguelike gameplay. I didn't follow it so closely, neither have I played it (even though I bought it at -80% some time ago) but 60-70% approval rating, Mixed reviews, is too low...

Yeah, i didn't like the dev attitude too. Jeff was not bad, he tried to fix the bugs and also revamped the game at least a couple time (the two major patch) but there was too many promises missing and very poor communication.

It's a shame, because the setting, the artworks and the idea was really enjoable.

I hope they'll learn from their mistakes.

Anyway i noticed that DLCs and KS exclusive content it's a plague. It could surely help the crowdfunding campaign, but the way they're handled it's detrimental in the long-period.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    The Great Whale Road by Sunburned Games [Official site] is currently on Kickstarter. It has a LOT of similarities with the TBS (RPG, turn-based battles, Renown etc) but, it's somewhat historically focused on Vikings rather than fiction/fantasy...

Been following this on Steam for a while! At first i dident played much atention to it(because of my earlier comments) but the game has evolved a lot and it looks really interesting and apealing to me now, i am hoping they do a DRM-free release at some point.

Also, you guys should check out Battle Brothers, not a kickstarter game, but an early access one(its gonna be fully release this month), super good, really above all my expectations! And Halcyon 6 this one is actually from Kickstarter, even tho its fully released already and the game is fantastic, the developers have promised to keep improving it for a long time to come!
    Last edited by Yellow; 02-13-2017 at 03:00 PM.

I got a key for TGWR beta a couple of months ago and played almost a dozen hours. It's not bad at all. It goes much slower than TBS, both story and combat, but it has many interesting historical facts. It's coming out of EA in March; actually they say "Ides of March"

Battle Brothers has been on my radar actually since it came into EA a couple of years ago. I'm very curious to try it, but with game time being so limited (and my backlog so crowded), it will probably need to wait!

Thanks for the heads up on Halcyon 6. Will check it out too!

Poetic Studio launched their Sacred Fire Kickstarter today. It will last for 28 days; goal is $50K.

https://www.sacredfiregame.com/kickstarter/
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-15-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Blackwake Originally founded on Kickstarter, it has resently released on Steam Early Access and OMG if it is the best Early Access/Alpha Version of a game i have ever played!

A coo-perative 1st person shooter and ship simulator, super fun with friends and alone as well, communication and teamwork is a must.

Looks interesting. Also, it is enjoying quite good review scores on Steam (93% positive). Alas, FPS are not my cup of tea :P

My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

Good catch! Saw from KS newsletter as well, today. The audiovisual experience this game offers blends very well with the atmosphere emanated by the title: All Walls Must Fall: A Tech-Noir Tactics Game Put it on "Remind me".

Did you see this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...inear-platform

Some time ago before KS for BS3 I requested developers to make Banner Saga 3 darker like Dark Souls. I couldn't explain more clearly because I couldn't visualize it
    but Blasphemous art depicts what I've want for BS3 only isometric.

Last edited by eon; 06-10-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast