Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what's everybody reading these days?

Smile So, what's everybody reading these days?

What caught my eye about the Banner Saga was as much the unique premise and emphasis on the RPG aspect as the animation; I love to read and I'm a huge fan of the fantasy genre. I expect a lot of other backers are of the same mind: so I thought I'd pick your brains for good books and series!

Lately I've been reading mostly Urban fantasy and Sci-fi;I got into Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series and Larry Correia's Grim Noir last year and I heartily reccomend both! The Iron Druid's a "straight" urban fantasy, with mages and vampires and whatnot set in contemporary Tempe, and I can attest to the veracity of the setting. The main character's bookstore is actually placed the storefront of my local comic shop!

Grim Noir's more Steampunky, set just after the first world war, in a universe with open superpowers, and changes to the history due to such. Very pulpy, if you're into that style.

As for science Fiction, I just recenly finished Leviathan Wakes by James S. Corey, a space opera set within our solar system, after we've expanded to utilize it but before any expolsion out into the larger universe. Somewhat similar to C.J Cherryh's Alliance-Union Universe; it's good Stuff.

Anyway, I could go on an on about what I've been reading, but the point of this thread is to have everybody share what they've been getting into so that we (read: me) will have good suggestions for new books ad series to pick up.
    Last edited by Javaman; 05-01-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Trying to get smiley out of thread title. Bah, forget it.

I go through phases, usually author-themed...

I've been on a bit of a Margaret Atwood kick lately and have reread a few of her books as a result (The Blind Assassin, Oryx and Crake, Alias Grace). Prior to that I was on a Terry Pratchett spree (yay, Discworld :D)-- before that, Angus Wells (Godwars)-- before that I was yo-yoing between Frank Herbert (Dosadi Experiment) and Orson Scott Card (Ender series). I believe it was C.S. Friedman before that (Coldfire Trilogy). Actually, it might've been Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (I love Sherlock Holmes... almost to a fault.)

It's past 2 am at the moment- apologies if none of what I've written makes sense! Excellent idea for a thread though. :) I'll definitely look into the pieces you've mentioned.

Latest book is Dragon's Teeth by Suzanne van Rooyen, before that a reread of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Sherlock Homes. Probably next is to see what the fuss about the Hunger Games is about.

Currently reading John Dies at the End by David Wong and it is hilarious! Before that I read the Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker, a very good series that is rather hard to get into, but is worth it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in a very gritty and realistic fantasy series based on the crusades.

I have jumped on the A Song of Fire and Ice band wagon and I'm reading them at the moment...

Stelly

Currently reading (which depends on mood or whatever):
    - At All Costs (Honor Harrington novel by David Weber)
    - Sharpe's Triumph by Bernard Cornwell
    - Salvation's Reach (WH40k/Gaunt's Ghosts novel by Dan Abnett)
    - occasionally skimming through A Feast for Crows by GRRM (interest in the series kinda waned...more keen on the TV series, esp. since they seem to be changing some stuff here and there, like the name of my favourite character, Asha Greyjoy)

...and big 'to read' pile (some of which I've partially read, like Lost Victories by Manstein, or Iron Kingdom by Clark)
    "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

Im also on the A Song of Ice and Fire band wagon, im reading Dance of Dragons.
    Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett are two personal favorites

I just finished reading part 1 of "Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity", it was good but quite short. Still at 2 bucks its a steel.

Currently I'm reading both of Jim Butchers series (Dresden Files and Codex Alera) as well as Stephen Kings Dark Tower series and his colab work with peter Straub in 'The Talisman' and 'Black House' (1/2 PRICE BOOKS FTW!)
    Greg Jennings - "It's a great day to be great!"

Have loads of mangas on the computer to finis so I haven't read a real paper book in a while, but I have to finish the 2nd Mass Effect book, Ascencion
    I was also advised to read A Song of Ice and Fire by a friend but I still have a few Lovecraft to explore.
    It'll never end.

Love asoiaf. Read it before it was cool *puts on hipster glasses* you PREPS.

But seriously, a shout out to Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, all his stuff really. Some of the darkest,most down to earth fantasy I've ever read, quite sardonically funny too. Well worth a read guys.

I've just finished the first book of A Dance with Dragons (the paperback was released in two parts in the UK), and I'm moving on to re-read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

Murakami is a genius. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend reading Kafka on the Shore. It's wonderfully surreal. Though I always wonder if the translations read in any way the same as the way he originally wrote it in Japanese...

Cathmore, nice call on John Dies at the End! I'm a big fan, and am looking forward to the flick.

I am actually out of fresh books, so i'm re-reading some old favorites. Just ran through A Dance with Dragons again, and in honor of The Banner Saga i revisited some of my old Viking-esque favorites, like The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson. The Ice-Shirt by William Vollman, and Eater of the Dead by Michael Chrichton. Also fiddled with some classic Robert E. Howard collections and i've been flipping through a few comics (Judge Dredd, Mouse Guard, Chew).

Haven't been reading much lately because of school, which is really sad.
    But my most recent books were:
    -the new one of the Temeraire series, Naoim Novik's Napolean era alternate history with dragons which is pretty awesome
    -Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series which is sadly not finished, but is a semi-fantasy where the good guys don't always win and lots of people die, kinda like A Song of Ice and Fire in that respect.
    Now that it's almost summer I'm going to have to check out some of the books you guys listed though, cause most sound interesting.

I just finished reading Neal Stephenson's Reamde, which is of course, a play on the filename "readme". Great book; it's a little bit like Snow Crash mixed with Cryptonomicon. The novel involves a multiplayer online game, a computer virus, Russian thugs and a Welsh terrorist... which sounds a little crazy but actually an excellent book.
    Sean "Ashen Temper" Dahlberg
    http://www.seandahlberg.com/

lol a welsh terrorist... exploding sheep by any chance?

Stelly

Habibi by Craig Thompson
    The Unwritten by Mike Carey, art by Peter Gross
    Locke and Key by Joe Hill, art by Gabriel Rodriguez

I'm discovering Thomas Bernhard with two novellas : The Cheap-Eaters and Wittgenstein's nephew.

Recently finished reading Oryx and Crake, probably one of the best written books i've encountered yet!

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast