Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what's everybody reading these days?

I've been working on my qualifying thesis so all of my recent reading has been of journal articles and book with titles like "Zweihundert Jahre Homer-Forschung". Last summer, however, after playing through both The Witcher and The Witcher 2, I read Andrzej Sapkowski's "The Last Wish", a collection of short stories set in the Norther Kingdoms. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoyed the storytelling of the Witcher games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tertius View Post
    Last summer, however, after playing through both The Witcher and The Witcher 2, I read Andrzej Sapkowski's "The Last Wish", a collection of short stories set in the Norther Kingdoms. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoyed the storytelling of the Witcher games.
    Yup. "The Last Wish" was a fun read. "The Blood of Elves", on the other hand, was slower-paced, but still quite good. I'm waiting for the next book and hopefully it'll be good, too.
    "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

Been re-reading the songs of fire and ice series now ive finally got the newest book! and my guilty pleasures are the terry pratchett discworld books!

Right now? Gee...
    - Near the end of Bogost's Racing the Beam
    - Jumping around in Alexandrescu's The D Programming Language
    - About a third of the way through Petzold's Code
    - Still early on in Challenges for Game Designers (got caught up in feature creeping one of the exercises)
    - Eliezer Yudkowsky writes Harry Potter fanfiction. I still think that's hilarious, but HPMoR is pretty good.
    - A lot of doujinshi (soft-translated in many cases); my kanji recognition is slowly improving.
    - May be getting back to Love's Linux Kernel Development in a couple months.

And last but not least, Twitter dumps a never-ending stream of good text my way and IRC is text by definition. I think it's easy to forget sometimes, but every thousand words we read is four pages of your average novel. Words on a screen don't lose their essential nature!

On GRRM site is a sample from The Winds of Winter (hope we wont have to wait another 5 years...).
    And now i try to read Snuff (i try to be confined to books [only] about/with Sam Vimes ).

I highly recommend Gladstone's School for World Conquerors to everyone here. It's fresh, innovative, and features great story-telling. Check it out.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gladstones-Sch.../dp/1607061155

"I do not think I know what I do not know." - Socrates

I just reread A Companion to Wolves for the umpteenth time. It's got a great Viking setting and is one of the few animal companion fantasies that I don't find to be incredibly twee. Fair warning though, it also has a lot of graphically described gay sex (it's more or less relevant to the plot mind you, not just strictly gratuitous).

Other recent reads include Catching Fire because I am late to get on the Hunger Games boat, Timeless the last Parasol Protectorate book, and Created, the Destroyer because Remo Williams, the Adventure Begins is one of my favorite movies and I figured I should try and read some of the books it's based on.

I have also jumped on the song and fire and ice series, which is great. I just got another book from my brother in law called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, so hopefully that will be good. And I read some mangas in between all of the books I read.

With the Shadowrun revival, I've been reading the Shadowrun: 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook and trying to get a group to play. Also, bought a new homebrewing book (beer) simply called How To Brew, its the best one I've read yet =)
    "Not all those who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    Haven't been reading much lately because of school, which is really sad.
    But my most recent books were:
    -the new one of the Temeraire series, Naoim Novik's Napolean era alternate history with dragons which is pretty awesome
    Oh man, I love the Temeraire series! I'd been waiting impatiently for the next installation and just now realized it was out and I missed the release. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder!

I'm currently between novels right now, but I most recently read "The Highwayman" by R.A. Salvatore and it was brilliant. I'll be starting the next in the series soon, but unfortunately I read so much at work I tend not to do it once I get home, alas.
    Last edited by molamolacolacake; 05-01-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Right now? Just dove into Brandon Sanderson's "Way of Kings." Before that, I was doing a reread of some classic cyberpunk, notably the "Mirrorshades" anthology and Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy. Unfortunately, somebody handling Gibson's stuff is being dense, and neither "Virtual Light" nor "Mona Lisa Overdrive" are on Nook yet (despite the first two books in each of those trilogies being on Nook), so I've shelved my cyberpunk revisitation until such time as I'll be able to carry around my paperbacks conveniently.

Other recent reads have included The Dresden Files' most recent entry, "Ghost Story," and some Harlan Ellison short stories.

Sean, thanks for mentioning "Reamde;" I hadn't realized that was out. I'm pondering whether or not to throw a re-read of "Interface" in 'celebration' of the US's upcoming election season...

Quote Originally Posted by molamolacolacake View Post
    Oh man, I love the Temeraire series! I'd been waiting impatiently for the next installation and just now realized it was out and I missed the release. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder!

I'm currently between novels right now, but I most recently read "The Highwayman" by R.A. Salvatore and it was brilliant. I'll be starting the next in the series soon, but unfortunately I read so much at work I tend not to do it once I get home, alas.
    You're welcome for the accidental reminder. I forgot it was out too and only read it cause I saw it at the library so you're not alone. And it sounds like we have similar tastes so maybe I'll have to check out The Highwayman when I get some time. I love the fact that this thread is like one giant recommendations list.

Twisty Little Passages by Nick Montfort

It's a history of text adventures - from Adventure through Infocom and beyond. It's a bit academic but fascinating. It gives you an entirely new appreciation for some of the old text games I loved.

Still making my way through A Song of Ice and Fire.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Just started so don't really know that much of the book yet.

John Dies at the end same here, I had to put down under the dome and catch 22 to finish it because I am borrowing it from a friend.
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

Just finished Wise Man's Fear, and before that A Dance with Dragons.

If I may recommend something none of you have probably heard of, check out the Strugatsky brothers. Cold war era Soviet sci-fi writers, some really splendid stuff. Roadside Picnic would be the book I'd recommend specifically.

Something I just picked up not too long ago: The Scar, by Sergey and Marina Dyachenko. Originally in Russian, the english translation is very good.
    One of my favorite series ever is the Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It's a different take on a post-apocalyptic Earth.
    Hmmm...what else...I'm getting into Lovecraft by picking up the Necronomicon. Because of school I haven't gotten as far as I want into it.
    I also picked up Orson Scott Card's The Lost Gate. It was pretty good, but moved a little fast for my tastes.
    And last, something to fit with the Viking theme: Brian Ruckley's The Godless World series. A very Norse/Viking/Danish culture. I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Biowulf View Post
    One of my favorite series ever is the Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It's a different take on a post-apocalyptic Earth.
    Hmmm...what else...I'm getting into Lovecraft by picking up the Necronomicon. Because of school I haven't gotten as far as I want into it.
    And last, something to fit with the Viking theme: Brian Ruckley's The Godless World series. A very Norse/Viking/Danish culture. I like it a lot.
    Ooh, the Death Gate Cycle is awesome. Though the third book still really creeps me out. I need to reread that again when I find the time.

Since the banner saga IS viking themed after all, am i the only one tempted to grab hold of a version of the edda?
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast