Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Unlock Tryggvi

Unlock Tryggvi

Greetings you unhappy vikings who missed (or disliked) pre-order but still wanna play with that insane dude, Tryggvi! Your days of anguish for lost-love, brooding over your mug-of-mead and general boredom are over. Behold! The modding community has found multiple ways for you to easily "activate/unlock" that playable character

First of all, thanks are due to the developers for keeping the game so "open" to modding and, specifically to the technical director, the one and only, John Watson, for supplying tons of information & dev-tools that help the modding community's march to glory.

So, without getting into too much details, all that is needed for Tryggvi to appear in Skogr (Chapter 2) is a global variable of the game, called "tryggviunlocked", to be set to "true" (or numerical value 1). This is by default set to "false" (0), unless you have pre-ordered. Here is not one, not two, but three ways for you to unlock Tryggvi. Choose the one you feel more comfortable with and...

ATTENTION: I recently noticed that following one of the last patches that reworked the file-structure and the game-console, only Method#3 works as described in my post, below. Methods #1 and #2 also work, but slightly differently; refer to YaK's post for the how-to. Checked for TBS1 Build v2.18.08 (Steam) at Jan-2016

DISCLAIMER: Do this at your own risk!

[1] Editing your save-game file with a normal text-editor

This will make Tryggvi appear only for that specific play-through you're actually playing. Once activated, he'll stick along your journey; but, if you restart a fresh game, he won't appear. So, while you are in-game, and after you arrive in Skogr and inform Iver about the incoming Dredge, and before you get into that first battle in the village by clicking on the Skogr HOUSES, stop & quit the game. A save game on that game-point will be generated in your save folder

• Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/TheBannerSaga/Local Store/logs/saga1/resume.save.json
    • Windows: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\logs\saga1\resume.save.json

Locate that "resume" save-file and open it with a standard text-editor (e.g. WordPad or notepad++ in Windows). Search for the string "globalVars" (about midway down the bottom), where you'll find a list of all the game's global variables that have been changed from the default values for the current play-through.
    Add the entry in the appropriate alphabetical location, i.e. the lines in red from the code below reading:

Code:
        "play_minutes": "28",
        "prg_battles_fought": "4",
        "prg_battles_won": "4",
        "prg_min_morale_category": "3",
        "tryggviunlocked": "1",
        "tut_heroes": "1",
        "tut_heroes_ability": "1",
    Save the file, launch the game and load the "Resume" save file. Click on HOUSES, and the mustached hero should appear

[2] By using the dev-mode console to set a global variable

This will make Tryggvi appear only for that specific play-through you're actually playing. Once activated, he'll stick along your journey; but, if you restart a fresh game, he won't appear. To activate the dev-mode console, add the handle developer in the game's launch options:
    Code:
    Steam > Library > R-Click on TBS icon > Properties > Set Launch Options > developer
    So, launch the game as you would, start playing and, at the exact same point that was pin-pointed in the previous section of this post, stop & activate the console by hitting
    Code:
    CTRL SHIFT ~
    on your keyboard. The game's window will be overlayed by a bunch of text, with a green line and a prompt in the bottom. Hit
    Code:
    saga set tryggviunlocked 1
    (and return) and exit the console using the same key combination as before. Click on HOUSES, and the mustached hero should appear

[3] By modding the game's "master file"

This will permanently activate Tryggvi for all fresh play-throughs you start; however, it will not affect old save-games. Here, we're gonna be editing the "master file" of the game, where all the vital information is stored. Each time a new game is launched, this "master file" is invoked to initialize all variables. So, we will manually "set" the starting value of the tryggvi-controlling global variable to the desired value. We are gonna need the JSON-decompiler tool supplied by John (check these posts to download it). So, launch this program and open the file:
    Code:
    ...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\tbs\assets\saga1\saga1.json.z
    (that is where the game's files --not user files-- are installed in a Windows system) and add the line in red from the code below:
    Code:
        {
          "max": 10,
          "min": -10,
          "name": "weather_wind",
          "per_caravan": true,
          "start": 1,
          "type": "DECIMAL"
        },
        {
          "name": "tryggviunlocked",
          "start": 1
        },
        {
          "name": "tryggvidied"
        },
        {
          "name": "ekkilldied"
        },
    Mind the comma after "tryggviunlocked"! That part of the code is near the bottom of the "monster/master file", in line 5951 of 6493, approximately. Save the file (a backup of the original is automatically generated, with the .ORIG extension) and launch the game. Start a new fresh game, and once your reach Skogr, the mustached hero should appear

If you're not comfortable with editing (or lazy!) -- You can download the modded-file I made here (link removed, cuz file outdated), and just copy/overwrite the one in your game files (don't forget to make a backup of the original before you overwrite it!). ΑΤΤΕΝΤΙΟΝ -- That file in the URL was tested and found to work fine with the latest version of the game (TBS1/Patch 2/v2.6.45 as of 27-Nov-2014) on my system, but I am not sure if there's any more edits in there not related to unlocking Tryggvi; it's unlikely that those will break your game, but in any case, I advise you do the editing yourselves!

That was it! Easy, no? Now take back all the grief aimed at the devs for pre-order exclusives, as they kindly let all this practically open for anyone to meddle with, and they supplied all the info & tools needed to do the meddling-with!

Skal!

PS1 -- Please report any problems with the above "solutions".
    PS2 -- Note: I've devised & tried the solutions on a Windows7 Steam version of the game. I am sure something similar will work for the DRM-free (GoG) versions of the game.
    PS3 -- For those in the GoG version: A fellow member, Yak, confirmed that the console and the methods described work similarly.

EDIT #1 -- Method #3 is not working as intended... Looking into it...
    EDIT #2 -- OK. Fixed Method #3. Actually, it is much simpler and elegantly done, this time... I wonder why I didn't notice it before! Thanks for the feedback, Yak
    EDIT #3 -- I highlighted that the modded-file-for-download (Method #3) might not work for future patches.
    EDIT #4 -- Updated URL for the modded saga1.json.z
    EDIT #5 -- Added a notification that only Method#3 works [23-Jan-2016, v2.18.08]
    EDIT #6 -- OK, YaK just verified that Methods #1 and #2 also work, but not as I described. Check his post (#40) for details [31-Jan-2016]
    EDIT #7 -- Removed link to pre-edited Saga1.json.z file, because it was outdated [9-May-2016]
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-09-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: YaK confirms that Methods#1,2 work, but differently!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

This is a really cool post, and I was wondering how people new to the game would be able to gain access to such a powerful and entertaining character.

That said... he was a pre-order bonus and usually they become a paid DLC or remain exclusive to preserve the "scarcity effect" used in marketing. Did you talk to Stoic about doing this? It's not like you want to take money from their campaign chest as a "reward" for being so open with us about their code.

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    Did you talk to Stoic about doing this? It's not like you want to take money from their campaign chest as a "reward" for being so open with us about their code.
    Yes. I contacted Stoic about this, and John promptly replied "OK" Not sure if Stoic (he) actually read the post and approved all its content, but in essence it was authorized: Tryggvi for all!

John has been very helpful to the modding community and it was he that supplied the info/tools needed for "methods" [2] & [3].

Dunno... I don't think Stoic ever meant (means) to release that character at a later time as a DLC.

Nice Aleo, just a question:

When you mean "unlock him" you mean him with all his features? his dialog lines, interactions with the world, and even his necklace? or just like "Javik" from the Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC "From Ashes", that people managed to unlock with out paying, but had no dialog nor interactions?
    Last edited by Yellow; 03-15-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    When you mean "unlock him" you mean him with all his features? his dialog lines, interactions with the world, and even his necklace?
    He appears just as if you had pre-ordered! You can use him in any fight, promote him, equip his necklace and see all his interactions (it's basically just one camp encounter/dialogue scene, just as with most minor characters).
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-15-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Cool, good work! thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Cool, good work! thanks.
    I could use some feedback, Yellow. So, if you try any of the above and it works as intended (and described), please confirm! Thanks

Sure thing, will do when i test it out! I downloaded the Option 3 i'm kinda lazy hehe!

What do the backers think?

It's really strange..
    Method 1 work, the script thing, with method 3 don't, i'm on Win7, GoG version.

Of course it's not so important since i've already completed the game but now i'm really curious to know why it's not working...

EDIT:

Hi Aleonnymous, i edited the file myself.

It's this forum moderated? I think my previous post needs to be approved :S pretty awkward.

However, as you told me, I've checked in developer mode, so, in the title main screen, the var tryggviunlocked is correctly setted to 1, but as you start a new game (i've used "restart game" but tried again manually deleting all the save game files) tryggviunlocked is set again to 0, starting from the tutorial to skogr and, obviously, Tryggvy is not in the house .
    If you go back to the title screen of course it's set again bto 1, but it's to late cause the change don't persist in the game at this point.

At first, I thought there was some hidden script that will change that value back, but i edit cin_start.json.z setting previewbuild to 1 and the change did not transfer to the game, just like tryggviunlocked var, it gets set to 0 as i start a new game.

It sound strange to me, but well, i'm not a programmer nor a geek of sort.

Of course, aside from editing the condition in cls_skogr.json.z, changing on the fly tryggviunlocked or previewbuild through the console just before clicking on the House works like a charm.

Maybe changes made through cin_start.json.z don't transfer to in-game global vars?
    Last edited by YaK; 03-16-2014 at 04:13 PM.

I was avoiding telling people about this, but since Stoic has given their blessing I think it is great to share. Kudos Aleo!

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    It's really strange..

Of course it's not so important since i've already completed the game but now i'm really curious to know why it's not working...
    Hmmm, so Method #3 is not working on GoG. Did you download my file, or tried editing the script yourself? Perhaps there is an incompatibility issue between Steam/GoG, so editing it yourself would be the only right way... Unfortunately, I don't have access to the GoG-version of the game to test it.

Here's what we can do. Is Method #2 working? If it is, i.e. if you have access to the in-game console, you can provide some feedback here so that I might help. Follow these steps:

1. Activate the console as in Method #2, e.g. by adding the --developer handle (or whatever) at the startup options. I don't know how you can do this on GoG...
    2. Even at the title-screen, do CTRL+SHIFT+~ to open the console, and give the command "saga vars global" (without the " and, hit return). This lists all the game's global variables.
    3. Search near the end for the value of the variable tryggviunlocked. If it is set to 1 (or "true"), then it should work... If not, then there's something wrong.
    4. If it was tryggviunlocked=1, then exit the console, and play your way with a fresh game (re-loading an old (pre-mod) savegame might not work) to Skogr. Right after the conversation with Iver, and before you click on "HOUSES", do the steps 2. & 3. (as above) and report the values of the global variable FONT=Courier New]tryggviunlocked[/FONT].

If console is not working on GoG, then I can't help. Perhaps somebody else, mod-inclined, and with a GoG-version could help.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-16-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Editing the save files can also be used to cheat (or prevent unfair losses, depends on view)... for example to keep a certain character alive even though you made choices that seemed unrelated at the time but will end up killing that character several chapters later.

Quote Originally Posted by rofltehcat View Post
    Editing the save files can also be used to cheat...
    Aye. You can do many cheaty things to your caravan(s), like:

• add renown/supplies/population,
    • improve morale,
    • add heroes,
    • change hero stats,
    • reset injury-recovery times,
    • add items,

and probably many more!

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    It's really strange..

EDIT:

Hi Aleonnymous, i edited the file myself.

It's this forum moderated? I think my previous post needs to be approved :S pretty awkward.

However, as you told me, I've checked in developer mode, so, in the title main screen, the var tryggviunlocked is correctly setted to 1, but as you start a new game (i've used "restart game" but tried again manually deleting all the save game files) tryggviunlocked is set again to 0, starting from the tutorial to skogr and, obviously, Tryggvy is not in the house .
    If you go back to the title screen of course it's set again bto 1, but it's to late cause the change don't persist in the game at this point.

At first, I thought there was some hidden script that will change that value back, but i edit cin_start.json.z setting previewbuild to 1 and the change did not transfer to the game, just like tryggviunlocked var, it gets set to 0 as i start a new game.

It sound strange to me, but well, i'm not a programmer nor a geek of sort.

Of course, aside from editing the condition in cls_skogr.json.z, changing on the fly tryggviunlocked or previewbuild through the console just before clicking on the House works like a charm.

Maybe changes made through cin_start.json.z don't transfer to in-game global vars?
    Thanks for the feedback, Yak! The console working on GoG-version is a good thing to start with I am gonna look into this method #3 again, and report back by editing this post, sometime later today. By the way, did you notice at what point did the tryggviunlocked variable change from 1 to 0? Was it right from the start, i.e. in the tutorial battle in Strand's Great-Hall, or at some other point, e.g. in the beginning of Chapter 2 in the forests near Skogr?

PS -- I wouldn't touch the previewbuild variable; it's most likely some left over from previous versions and who know what else it might affect... Most likely, it will end your play-through at the end of Chapter 3!

EDIT #1 -- Yes, it seems that Method #3 (and that modded file I linked) doesn't work. So, it's not a GoG-vs-Steam version issue. I am gonna temporarily blank it out until I find the correct place to "plant" the variable change. Stick close for more!

EDIT #2 -- OK. Fixed Method #3, and updated original post. New solution is much more elegant! I also added/linked the new modded file, for those that CBA'ed to edit themselves Thanks again, Yak. Please confirm if this work for you now.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-17-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Method #3 doesnt work // Updated

Quote Originally Posted by Mierko View Post
    I was avoiding telling people about this, but since Stoic has given their blessing I think it is great to share. Kudos Aleo!
    They hasn't (as of yet), but as they hasn't closed/deleted this thread either...
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post

EDIT #2 -- OK. Fixed Method #3, and updated original post. New solution is much more elegant! I also added/linked the new modded file, for those that CBA'ed to edit themselves Thanks again, Yak. Please confirm if this work for you now.
    Nice found, i was searching that string myself, but opted for a more "rude" solution, as i sai i edited a condition in cls_skogr.json.z, practically, as you click on the house there some checkes, the first it's a sort of "If previewbuild=1 set tryggviunlocked=1" , then all the other stuff... i just changed the condition in "if previewbuild=0", but yourd it much more elegant coding
    I could not test it right now but there are not a single reason it should not work, the version are practically the same regarding assets files.

To activate the console in gog version i simply add a -developer in the link of the game ok desktop, i was to lazy to check if it works also without that command , i will edit this post when i'll checke this two things.

Everyone deserves to play with Tryggvi. He's a crazy mofo and useful character all around.

Junior Member Ludin's front teeth's Avatar
    many thanks for these! i came primarily to ask whether there would be a broader release of Tryggvi.

Junior Member Ludin's front teeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    The game's window will be overlayed by a bunch of text, with a green line and a prompt in the bottom. Hit
    Code:
    saga set tryggviunlocked 1
    (and return) and exit the console using the same key combination as before. Click on HOUSES, and the mustached hero should appear
    even if entering that code gets a response of
    Code:
    No such subcommand for saga: set
    ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast