Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Banner Saga 2 Story and Ending Discussion [Spoilers]

I'm sorry, didn't think of the possible level disparity. That makes sense oc, I left quite a few units at lvl1.....
    bolverk was lvl7 and iver lvl6 i think, I didn't use them alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Bersi goes with the Ravens without any explanation etc
    Does Bersi exist in version where Luddin is dead?

I assume the outcome of that last fight will have a big significance in Saga3, i.e. whether Bellower awakes or not.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiraglarm View Post
    Does Bersi exist in version where Luddin is dead?
    I think it depends on when you kill Ludin. If you kill him on the tower in the first game, Bersi should die too (although at the moment, Yrsa inexplicably survives that). If you kill Ludin in the 2nd game, Bersi will still be alive. But some explanation for Bersi's apparent defection is on the list of errors/suggestions elsewhere in this thread.

Sorry, Tiraglarm, I missed the question! I agree with what Ratatoskr said, though we'd have to double-check...

Another thing I can't remember is this: In Saga1, are Yrsa/Bersi/Ludin available in the last battle at Boersgard in Chapter 7 if Hakon punches Ludin in Chapter 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Another thing I can't remember is this: In Saga1, are Yrsa/Bersi/Ludin available in the last battle at Boersgard in Chapter 7 if Hakon punches Ludin in Chapter 3?
    I'm pretty sure they are. Though they won't be any more leveled than they were when they left.
    I know they'll still be alive because if you want Ludin dead you have to take him to the tower.

This is really late but I stumbled across this and figured better late than never.

1. Juno and Eyvind have done something wrong
    This is a topic that is never fully explored. Juno's crime was using mind control and she was sentenced to death. After the mender council killed her, Eyvind was overcome with grief and steals her body then disappears. Based of a few clues in Banner Saga 2, it seems to me that he takes her body to a white tower in dredge lands where he either lies to the dredge or just doesn't tell them what he is doing (more on this later). Whatever ritual or spell he uses, he brings Juno back to life but my belief is that her coming back to life required so much power that it was accidentally stolen from the serpent. I believe its mentioned that Juno wanted to make Eyvind a god possibly due to the fact that he has powers that no other mender has plus he is seemingly more powerful than any of the valka past or present. Also my belief is that the ritual is what causes the sun to stop moving, the serpent to wake up (due to realizing some of his power is missing) and for the darkness to appear. I think the darkness is chaos since the natural order of things has been screwed up. Juno and Eyvind seem to realize that they did this and so are trying to fix everything even if they must lie.

2. Bolverk is more then a varl mercenary leader
    Bolverk is supposedly one of the last varl berserkers. I believe that Bolverk and Bellower connected because both of them are ruled more by emotion and rage than logic. Bolverk constantly lies on the edge of rage and anger due to the fact that he is a berserker. Bellower is just one very upset dredge both due to the betrayal we learn through the visions/memories that Bolverk sees and him most likely being the husband and father of Raze and her kid who Iver killed/murdered. Bolverk can't be mind controlled by Juno because his mind is so crazed which Juno mentions back when she tries calming him down during his fight with Harkon.

3. Helped by a stonesinger
    Stonesingers are the dredge's version of menders and it seems as though this one has/had a connection with Bellower which most likely helped him locate Bolverk's caravan. A fact supported by Eyeless finding them even after they make it to the surface. The stonesinger seems to realize that helping the humans/varls is the best chance of getting rid of the darkness that is coming for everyone which may be why he helps against his own kind since a majority may have just gone mad with fear and anger.

4.Giant Serpent
    The giant serpent is the world eating serpent from norse mythology. Juno got some of his power most likely through the spell or ritual that brought her back to life. Its because of this power/connection, that the serpent can't kill Juno but he seems always able to sense where she is at a given moment. His only goal is to eat the world/devour the tapestry when the end of the world kicks off which Eyvind states has started an age too soon. The serpent is wounded due to Eyvind which is most likely a combination of the serpent missing some of his power and Eyvind being the closest thing to a demi-god that the game has. Bolverk gets crushed by the tower regardless of whether you win or lose the fight at the end of banner saga 2. If you win though, Bellower's body is thrown into the ocean and he won't help bolverk hunt you down in the third one. If you lose, you have bolverk and bellower hunting you down. The serpent has figured out somehow that Juno can't control Bolverk which leads him to saving Bolverk from death. He is planning to use him to kill Juno so that he can reclaim his power that Juno purposefully or accidentally stole.

5. Valka and Dredge
    Zefr states that she knows several stonesingers but I don't think she says she knows any sundr personally. Its implied a few times that Menders and Stonesingers at least have some kind of contact with each other most likely due to the ending of the second great war where menders had forced the dredge back.

6. Juno was supposed to be dead
    Juno was killed by the mender council which is stated by Zefr who also states Eyvind stole Juno's body and disappeared. He did some spell or ritual which brought her back to life but also seemed to kick off the end of the world an age too early while also screwing it up as the darkness has appeared and the serpent can't do its job. I think Eyvind revived Juno further north and that it was Ridgehorn where the dredge caught up with him and Juno "killing" her a second time. Bellower was chasing after Eyvind for his betrayal of the dredge and after Iver for killing his wife and child.

Hope this helps but its also just a lot of guesswork too !

Most of that sounds pretty accurate to me (by which I mean it agrees with my own speculation ). I'm definitely curious to find out more about what Juno and Eyvind did in tbs3.

Quote Originally Posted by PureWolfking View Post
    This is really late but I stumbled across this and figured better late than never.

1. Juno and Eyvind have done something wrong
    2. Bolverk is more then a varl mercenary leader
    3. Helped by a stonesinger
    4. Giant Serpent
    5. Valka and Dredge
    6. Juno was supposed to be dead

Hope this helps but its also just a lot of guesswork too !
    Good stuff, PureWolfking! Thanks for "depositing" all this As Rata said, it's very close to the consensus we're reaching, regarding the roles of the major players in this story/world. One of the points I hadn't quite linked was the Serpent "using" Bolverk to destory Juno!

Back to general theory-crafting: In my understanding, Juno+Eyvind did something that broke the fabric of reality (tried to cheat death?) and brought that Darkness (unworldly entity) that Warps everything it touches. The Serpent is most likely an entity of the "real world" (something like a god, but not exactly) that also got perturbed by Juno+Eyvind and tries to sort things out; he seems full on to Juno, but doesn't really care for Eyvind. Finally, the Dredge migration is definitely caused by the Darkness, but Bellower has someone to blame for that; it is not clear if he's moved only by revenge or he thinks that by destroying Eyvind (+Juno/Iver?) he'll "correct" something in the world... To wrap things up about the main "antagonists"
    • Darkness --> Warps everything, or maybe there's a protection against it?
    • Serpent --> Hates Juno, doesn't really care about anything else.
    • Bellower --> Hates Eyvind and Iver, drives Dredge forces against Varl & Human possibly just because he can!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2