Thread: Animation For Allette not playing

Animation For Allette not playing

Hey guys, new player here. Just started the game and loving the atmosphere, but I just got to Rook's side and allete's thread the needle animation won't play? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Hello there and welcome to the forums

Thanks for posting this; it is a known bug that surfaced a couple of weeks ago, since the last update... I hope they issue a hotfix for this one soon!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Same! It's not gamebreaking but definitely better to have than not.

Welp, I just started my adventure with Banner Saga and one of the first things I see is this sloppy bug.. Is this ever gonna be fixed?

I have this bug too, it's sad because I was just revisiting the game to finally finish it before buying Banner Saga 2 and it's so deflating to spend multiple turns setting up multiple dredge for Alette only to have the game stutter and not play her animation.

Ale, do you know if this is a bug that effects the entire game, is it related to a particular save instance or is it permanent no matter what you do? It's disheartening, I wonder if anyone can just take a quick look at it and push out a tiny hotfix, seems like a small thing, but with this type of beautiful hand drawn animation it's a shame to be missing it for the signature skill of one of the main characters, aesthetics are a huge reason why I love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorgirl View Post
    I have this bug too, it's sad because I was just revisiting the game to finally finish it before buying Banner Saga 2 and it's so deflating to spend multiple turns setting up multiple dredge for Alette only to have the game stutter and not play her animation.

Ale, do you know if this is a bug that effects the entire game, is it related to a particular save instance or is it permanent no matter what you do? It's disheartening, I wonder if anyone can just take a quick look at it and push out a tiny hotfix, seems like a small thing, but with this type of beautiful hand drawn animation it's a shame to be missing it for the signature skill of one of the main characters, aesthetics are a huge reason why I love the game.
    It's an issue that popped up with the latest update. I am sad to say it affects all the game (not just a save-slot or something). I'll try to look for a simple way to fix this, until the hotfix is released (with the next update to the game, whenever that comes... )

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    It's an issue that popped up with the latest update. I am sad to say it affects all the game (not just a save-slot or something). I'll try to look for a simple way to fix this, until the hotfix is released (with the next update to the game, whenever that comes... )
    Thanks! I love how helpful you are in like...every Banner Saga thread anywhere ever! Fingers crossed for a fix sometime soon so I can move on to Banner Saga 2 which looks amazing.

Thank you for your kind words

So, I contacted John (Watson, the tech director of the series) and he provided the fixed file. I will test it tonight, but here it is, in case you wanna give it a shot too. Just go in the installation folder of the game and replace the existing file with that fixed one I linked above. (The file is somewhere near this path: assets/common/character/archer/alette.anim.json.z.) If you're on Steam, you can revert the change by "Verifying Integrity of Game Cache" anytime, but you can also keep a backup of the original file, in case anything goes terribly wrong (which I doubt).

EDIT: It does not appear to be working We'll get to the bottom of dis!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 09-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Thank you for your kind words

So, I contacted John (Watson, the tech director of the series) and he provided the fixed file. I will test it tonight, but here it is, in case you wanna give it a shot too. Just go in the installation folder of the game and replace the existing file with that fixed one I linked above. (The file is somewhere near this path: assets/common/character/archer/alette.anim.json.z.) If you're on Steam, you can revert the change by "Verifying Integrity of Game Cache" anytime, but you can also keep a backup of the original file, in case anything goes terribly wrong (which I doubt).

EDIT: It does not appear to be working We'll get to the bottom of dis!
    I'm at work but I will try it when I get home too just in case. Thanks for reaching out to John, I know they are a small team but I also know they take great pride in their work and would love for new people to the series to not miss out on how great their animations are.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorgirl View Post
    I'm at work but I will try it when I get home too just in case. Thanks for reaching out to John, I know they are a small team but I also know they take great pride in their work and would love for new people to the series to not miss out on how great their animations are.
    Doesn't work for me either I've noticed it plays correctly when you click on the Thread the Needle skill on her hero page, just not in combat. Hopefully John can figure out what is causing it and tweak it.

Yup, it's a different "pack" for that animation -- for whatever reason. I'll update if something new comes up. I think that the Chinese localization is in its final stages, and I think they intend to ship the hotfix together with that, in one push.

I figured out a solution. Please place this file I'm linking in the installation folder:
    Code:
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\tbs\assets\common\ability\_ability_index.json
    (backup original before overwriting). The timing is a still bit off (arrow lands, but target responds to hit with small delay, e.g. a split-second more than it should), but the animation plays out fine. Please confirm if it works!

Yes! It works! Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out. I don't mind the slight delay, almost makes it more dramatic, as though time is slowing down for the arrow to go through. Can't wait to finish my first playthrough now! Still need help deciding which final choice to make for Banner Saga 2, but that's for another thread.

Ah, good news Glad to have helped and a good exercise for my modding/delving skills!

Final choice: That's a tough decision... I always go by fatherly "instinct" and refuse Alette the chance to take the Silver Arrow. It just doesn't feel right, after I know what happens... Besides, Alette actually turns out much stronger than Rook in Saga2