Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Thoughts on Republique

  1. #1

    Thoughts on Republique

    Hey Guys! I've been keeping up with another kickstarter (which Stoic also mentioned)
    Republique by Camouflaj+Logan. At first I supported it based upon the idea of a unique
    gaming experience for the iOS, but the game has started to become so much more!
    Recently announced for the Mac/PC and now they have the voice talent of David Hayter!
    For those of you who do not know, he is the voice of Solid Snake! Anyways, I am super
    stoked for this game to be made I was just wondering what your guys' opinion is of
    the game.

  2. #2
    Backer Fosterocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2
    The game looks incredible. The story line, the imagery, everything. It's like 1984, V for Vendetta and the Matrix played the Metal Gear Solid series and said we should make a video game. I keep checking it regularly because I'm worried that they won't get funded. Also some of their team worked on Metal Gear Solid and Halo. I think people should check it out and help get it funded.

  3. #3
    Backer Morte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    30
    The game just caught my attention, very promising. I hope they get funded.

    The only thing that bothers me: Isn't it a bit to short?

  4. #4
    I found the case of Republique to be pretty interesting, from a demographic standpoint. Not interested in the game at all.

    They pitched it as a "AAA" experience built exclusively to take advantage of their platform, they got a lot of big names behind it, they made a slick presentation package. With about 10 days left it seems they realized their mistake: AAA-playing gamers are not as interested in mobile games as the development community is, nor the mass market that drives million-selling iOS titles (this is my opinion on it, anyway).

    So, they announced the game for PC/Mac when they only had 100k of a 500k goal with 8 or so days left, possibly compromising their original premise. When you compare their struggle to get funded with something like The Banner Saga, I think the community's message was clear. Touch-only gaming isn't the best.

  5. #5
    Backer Ratatoskr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    237
    I mostly find it interesting that they managed to make over 250,000 in the last 2 days in order to get funded, so I suppose the inclusion of PC was worth the effort from a purely practical sense. I admit that got me to throw my $15 in there just to see what would happen.

    And I personally have a deep hatred of touch-only gaming which is why I find the current trend in consoles and even the new windows so distressing. How am I supposed to play nostalgic games from the 80s on a touch screen?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    How am I supposed to play nostalgic games from the 80s on a touch screen?
    I can only imagine you're not supposed to- which is fine by me under certain conditions. Leave the games of the 80's, 90's and 00's and their respective control schemes in their respective decades. Don't give me poor ios imitations of classics- build me new classics that are built to make the most advantage of the nuances of a touch screen.

    Edit: in fact, I was tempted to remove my Republique backing once the pc/ mac version was announced- the worry being that if this was on the cards all along has the required care and attention really been given towards the touch device control scheme?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerAR View Post
    Leave the games of the 80's, 90's and 00's and their respective control schemes in their respective decades.
    As someone who didn't have much of a chance to play the games of the 80's and 90's in their respective decades, I would find this scenario very inconvenient. I've just started getting into this Planescape game that everyone's been talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by JokerAR View Post
    in fact, I was tempted to remove my Republique backing once the pc/ mac version was announced- the worry being that if this was on the cards all along has the required care and attention really been given towards the touch device control scheme?
    They said they were going to work to make the PC version a distinct experience with different controls, not have it be a straight port.
    Writing is 5% talent and 95% not being distracted by the internet.

  8. #8
    And I'll believe it when I see it. I don't really see the harm in the pc Republique per say- but time will show where the post- kickstarter development time goes (ios, pc what sort of split?)

    And you're not wrong: people should have the opportunity to play older games- what I meant to say is that if you want to play games from a previous period then try and play them authentically- or if you have to 'compromise' and play on more recent hardware (often an excellent choice) then there are usually better choices than a touch screen. Steam or GoG with a USB controller, remastered classics on XBLA and PSN etc.

  9. #9
    Backer Ratatoskr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerAR View Post
    And I'll believe it when I see it. I don't really see the harm in the pc Republique per say- but time will show where the post- kickstarter development time goes (ios, pc what sort of split?)

    And you're not wrong: people should have the opportunity to play older games- what I meant to say is that if you want to play games from a previous period then try and play them authentically- or if you have to 'compromise' and play on more recent hardware (often an excellent choice) then there are usually better choices than a touch screen. Steam or GoG with a USB controller, remastered classics on XBLA and PSN etc.
    I agree that it's hard to say before seeing the actual product, even though I'm opposite of you and more worried about clunky PC controls given my total lack of an ios.

    And compromising with older games is what I'm doing now and it works fine, it just worries me that the new Windows seems to be all touchscreen as well, because the PC is my haven for older games. I firmly agree that a touch screen is a terribly way to do it, I'm just afraid that given the current trend of technology I won't have much of a choice in a few years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO