Thread: So is there any resource gathering in this game?

So is there any resource gathering in this game?

I know you are trying to survive which I assume means you need resources. How will that work?

As far as I know, Stoic does not intend to do "resource gathering" in the sense of you walking around and clicking on every highlighted object you see, or in the sense of having your harvesting vikings move to a field of generically named ore. They were quite proud of the fact the game wasn't going to include money as a statistic, for example, because they felt it didn't add anything.

My guess would be that you can obtain stuff that helps you later on by making the right story choices (or at least the expedient ones) or by succeeding in battle.

What about the multi-player component though? Having a city makes resource gathering in the more traditional sense seem much more likely. King of Dragon Pass inflences on the single player would also make resource gathering seem fairly important- but as you say not in the more usual rts gathering/ hack and slash looting manners.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerAR View Post
    What about the multi-player component though? Having a city makes resource gathering in the more traditional sense seem much more likely. King of Dragon Pass inflences on the single player would also make resource gathering seem fairly important- but as you say not in the more usual rts gathering/ hack and slash looting manners.
    Makes me wonder how much the multi player component will really differ from the base game. The focus will obviously lie on the PvP (combat) aspect, but will that be all there is to it? Or will there be game mechanics resembling the single player, with maybe randomized events and diplomatic interactions between players.
    Can't wait for the multi player demo in summer
    In terms of resource gathering in the single player I imagine the band of vikings the player leads on as a kind of moving city, which "generates" resources alongside its way, maybe depending on the terrain it's crossing. Just a general idea.

Also: people keep referring to King of Dragon Pass as a major influence of TBS. How did that game work in terms of gameplay and resource management?

Quote Originally Posted by Blistig View Post

Also: people keep referring to King of Dragon Pass as a major influence of TBS. How did that game work in terms of gameplay and resource management?
    It plays almost like a choose your own adventure book- with consequences on resources based on your decisions (attack during the sowing season and you'll have less food for the year due to your farmers making up part of your army- but you may steal additional slaves or cows on your raid etc). There are also more traditional trading mechanics to swap one resource for another. I've not played much of it, a few hours on ios at most, but I daresay someone'll give a more in depth description soon enough!

I agree with JokerAR that a Choose Your Own Adventure book is a pretty apt comparison. However, unlike in CYOA books, there's often not really an incorrect choice: you often need to balance competing interests, and usually you can get something through force just as well as through bargaining. Resource allocation is important, because you have a limited amount of time each season to do actions---will you do a cattle raid to increase your wealth (Orlanthi, your ethnic group, measure wealth in cattle), will you sacrifice to the gods to appease one you displeased earlier, will you decide to take some of your farmers and make them crafters instead? In between actions, you are confronted with situations you need to respond to; that could be someone offering to trade with you or an attack by Chaos creatures or your farmers digging up a dinosau- I mean, earthshaker skull.... You get the idea.

It's a cross between a Choose Your Own Adventure book and a complicated Excel spreadsheet, enriched with gorgeous artwork, detailed lore (much more is actually relevant during the game), and great music.
    Last edited by Kimberly; 05-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.

I'm fine with some resource gathering, as long as it isn't too tedious and time-consuming.

A good example of how to make a bad resource gathering system is Mass Effect 2.

King of Dragon Pass is a 4X game, I don't know if The Banner Saga will have any empire builder elements. As of resource gathering itself, it's realy a matter of balance with the rest of the game, and how interesting/motivating it is.

On a side note, if someone has problems with KoDP under Windows (not installing, tiny screen...), let me know.

Your resources are time and the people that make up your caravan. Use them wisely!

You forgot HP. Hit points are a resource now because they don't auto-heal after battles!

I love how they don't seem to have money, and yet other things become a defacto currency. Carl Menger would be damn proud!