Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Had a great first visit with Austin Wintory...

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Had a great first visit with Austin Wintory...

Austin came into town yesterday (Saturday) and we spent the entire day rapping about the game and how the underlying theme of the music would resonate with the story. He had some amazing ideas and we seemed to feed off each other really well. We cannot begin to tell you how excited we are to be working with this class act and it's all thanks to the backers at Kickstarter. Your game will be all the better for it. If you're a fan of really, really good music then be prepared to be very, very happy.
    Skal!

Very excited to hear what the Stoic team have chosen for the musical stylings- are we looking at ambient and atmospheric or more deliberately orchestral with themes, core riffs etc?

I tend to get involved more in music that takes a step away from the standard ambient background stuff. I like it when music takes a more active role. From some of the interviews, it sounds like that's already where it's headed.

we cant wait for the finished product, from what we have heard in the updates the music sounds amazing

Stelly

Err, Stelly, has part of the game music been in the updates? Please point me to that, because I simply must listen.

I'd wondered about the violins in the last update video on the kickstarter page- a rough theme preview for the backers or just something appropriate sounding to accompany the video? I figured the latter but who knows?

Coming to think about it your probably right, its far too soon to have anything in the game from the updates

Stelly

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Austin has already done a first pass on the main theme that we're really excited about, but it's unfortunately too early to share.
    The music from the main trailer and first Kickstarter video was by me and all the rest of the kickstarter video music was from other stuff Austin has done...but none of it is/was from The Banner Saga.
    Can't wait to share it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Can't wait to share it though!
    Then pleaso do !
    Music is good, games are good...but great music in a great game is greater.

Great news! I can't wait to hear the music he will make for this... oh, and it's Skål! (sorry, I'm a Swede, so I'm nit-picking a bit on stuff like that...)

Hey everyone! Austin Wintory here; just got my account fired up and Arnie told me about this post he made. So beyond happy to see you guys already enthusiastic, despite the incredible fear that automatically strikes into one's heart! But I can definitely echo the sentiments of Stoic in feeling that this is a great team. These guys are making the sort of game that I, as a gamer, would love on its own terms, regardless of my involvement. That was the case with Journey as well and so all over again I'm feeling a bit too lucky to describe.

And yes, the music used in the last couple Kickstarter videos were drawing excerpts from my album "Spirit of the Cosmos," which is on iTunes, etc. It's a fun album of big cinematic stuff, all performed by the Utah Symphony. I often get rather positive feedback on it, but I must admit that I actually am pretty embarrassed by it. It's all music I wrote when I was about 16 and I think the immaturity inherent in that shows itself off in droves. So, if you like the album, my many thanks! If you don,t, I don't blame you

Sorry for this being such a huge post ... but I wanted to also address the questions of musical style, etc. It's too early for us to open up on a lot of that, but for those who played Journey (or even flOw) will know, my attitude is "Do whatever is right." Sometimes the music needs to be very subtle (dare I say atmospheric?). Sometimes it needs to be very directly part of the experience, or indeed the core of the experience. How TBS will shake out between those two we shall see. The exciting thing, is that based on this weekend's visit with Stoic, the content the music is attached will be amazing regardless

Yeah Utah Symphony!

I am ridculously excited to hear some more of Wintory's work. I wonder if he'll employ any scandinavia ethnic instruments or sami instruments. Or perhaps wider Northern European things or some chanting maybe? Whatever he comes up with I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffo View Post
    I am ridculously excited to hear some more of Wintory's work. I wonder if he'll employ any scandinavia ethnic instruments or sami instruments. Or perhaps wider Northern European things or some chanting maybe? Whatever he comes up with I can't wait!
    I was just going to ask about this, too. Would be nice if there are at least some tunes with kind of Nordic vibe to them This was a really nice update! Hopefully we got more of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffo View Post
    We'll just have to wait and see Either way you're vote of confidence means a TON to me!

Say, Mr. Wintory, is that your crest you've got as your avatar there? Because it is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Say, Mr. Wintory, is that your crest you've got as your avatar there? Because it is awesome!
    I wish I could take credit but it was the wonderful minds of Stoic!

Quote Originally Posted by Awintory View Post
    Sorry for this being such a huge post ... but I wanted to also address the questions of musical style, etc ...
    Do addresses them as much as you feel like doing so. I can't speak for everybody, but i think it's incredibly cool for you guys to come and share stuff with us here on forums. I haven't come across your music as much (mostly from Stoic trailers cause i feel bad now,for listening to your other albums on youtube ), but from little i heard, i am actually pretty certain it will be great. Can't wait to hear what will you come up with for TBS.
    Hope you'll have as much enjoyment composing as we listening to it. Cheers.
    Edit By the way i do agree on the atmospheric vs active role of music. It believe it's a matter of good taste and creativeness in game experience composition.
    Last edited by belamoor; 05-07-2012 at 08:47 PM.

What belamoor said

nice to read from arnie and austin wintory themselves, it sure is great to read comments and opinions by the developers and to know a bit of their work.

about the soundtrack, it is a common opinion that a good soundtrack has to blend in the audiovisual experience so it's not noticed, and that it is wrong for it to steal too much attention from the viewer/gamer. but sometimes the opposite happens and it's not a fail but a win.

i was thinking about last year's game Bastion, and the fact that despite it being an average (yet very very pretty) hack-and-slash it's music stands out so much, it definitely does for good reasons (right now i can't think of any other game where it does so much, other than musical games). i don't remember the gameplay or the story, i remember the furious battle between its art and music for my attention. the music chenneled most of the emotions in the game and it even delivered some of the plot through the lyrics of a couple of key songs and it's recurrent melody.

i wonder if in the banner saga the composer will include a recurring musical theme or even will he dare a 3-chord song ?

and just in case for those of you who don't know that other little game's song i was talking about :

http://youtu.be/xiQoMzOpowA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast