PDA

View Full Version : Recording games

docjesus
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
First off, I'm really enjoying the game, I think the team have done a fantastic job and I'm very sorry they are having server issues. They don't bother me (got to go outside sometimes!) but I understand it must be very stressful for the team.

My question is if there will be an option for recording games at some point in the future. I used to play chess at an amateur competitive level, and The Banner Saga seems quite similar, only a lot more exciting. I always thought one of the advantages of chess was the ability to quickly and easily record and replay a match using the notation system. I think it would be very valuable to a serious player to have this ability in The Banner Saga. It seems like a perfect fit - record the positions of each unit for every turn and have the computer replay them when you want to analyze previous strategies.

I understand completely that it is far from trivial to implement features, but I thought I'd ask to see if there were any plans for this.

Anyway, great job, very excited to see how the game develops. Thanks!

franknarf
03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
This is the first item on my wishlist, too. I think all the information is recorded into the log file saved locally on your computer (moves and actions taken...have a look; it's roughly human-readable) and they've said they would like to implement replays, but when or whether they get around to it likely depends on how successful the game is.

Jorgensager
03-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Oooh, interesting idea... I would guess the big part of this would be to create a "replay mode", since all movements etc. are already stored in log files. It would have to store the outcome of chance shots (though I'd assume it already does)...

hmmm... I wonder if it would be possible to write a simple program to filter out the chat messages and other irrelevant lines and translate the relevant lines into easily readable English... >:] It would be a start, but obviously nothing near a GUI player (ooh, I'm getting ideas here!.. simple 2D-from-above GUI as in chess should be possible to create... Too bad I have no time to attempt this and realise I'm not smart enough to make it an actual program before in around 3 months!)

Obviously, an official "replay mode" from Stoic would be better, to have the graphics and unit animations etc... I'm simply stating it could be interesting to try writing someting like this myself.. O_o

Great idea!

netnazgul
03-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Hey, you shouldn't strip the battle chat messages out of the battle! This can be a huge part of the game, especially when it's used to confuse your opponent and keep him guessing. Or, for example, current #1 Tirean admits that distracting his play with chat is the single most powerful instrument to get a win against him :)

As for the topic - it's on the wishlist and discussion since early beta, so if the game will do as it does now we could see this implemented sooner than later.

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Hey, you shouldn't strip the battle chat messages out of the battle! This can be a huge part of the game, especially when it's used to confuse your opponent and keep him guessing. Or, for example, current #1 Tirean admits that distracting his play with chat is the single most powerful instrument to get a win against him :)

As for the topic - it's on the wishlist and discussion since early beta, so if the game will do as it does now we could see this implemented sooner than later.

Haha, fair enough.. ^_^

It doesn't seem like the starting locations of characters are stored in the log, so I think we'll have to leave the task to Stoic and wait either way! (at least they wouldn't have a reason to leave out the chat :p )

franknarf
03-02-2013, 07:56 AM
@Jorgen. Oh well, I guess positions can only be inferred when no unit dies before their turn (like a back-bit archer), eh? ...and somewhat worse, the stats aren't there either, I now notice.

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 08:23 AM
@Jorgen. Oh well, I guess positions can only be inferred when no unit dies before their turn (like a back-bit archer), eh? ...and somewhat worse, the stats aren't there either, I now notice.

Yeah, no stats or attacks are recorded (except for special abilities), so the best we could do would be figuring out (most) starting positions, types of characters used, their movements and the chat. I suppose they didn't have us re-reading the battles in mind when they decided on a trouble-shooting log format ;p

Axiom92
03-27-2013, 12:27 AM
I hope no one 4got about this thread, a battle replay mode would be so awesome!

Kletian999
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Maybe the devs could quickly implement storing unit stats and starting positions to the log file so a community member could build a simple re-player.

Aleonymous
03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
People in here could end out like those chess-addicts, casually reading that machine code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_chess_notation#Example) with their Sunday's morning-coffee! :cool:

domdib
01-20-2014, 04:24 PM
As a fairly new player who is also coming from Chess and Go, I would really appreciate the ability to replay games, especially with an experienced player who could comment on obvious mistakes (the Kiseido Go Server does a really good job of this).

P.S. Loving both Factions and Saga - great job Stoic!

Jude
06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Just want to lend extra support to this idea for when the update eventually happens.

I would really like to be able to see other tournament matches. And being able to go through a match move by move and discuss strategy could be fun and very useful.