PDA

View Full Version : Factions Battle Planner (Build Calculator)

davemo
03-01-2013, 04:46 PM
EDIT: Updated 3/20/13 to support Factions build 1.6.43 and Siege Archer : Max Armor is now 9, Max Willpower is now 13

Hi folks,

I've been hard at work on a Build Calculator for Factions (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/). Here's what you can do with it so far:

customize builds for each class in your loadout
supports all rank 1, 2 and 3 classes
validates stat min/max and unit max_stats
allow users to reset unit stats to defaults in the stat editor
bookmarkable urls to builds
stat overlays on portraits for a "quick glance" at your build numbers
re-order loadout

Here's my TODO list with future enhancements that I'm actively working on:

enforce loadout classtype limits (so you can't have 3 varls) etc..
printable roster sheets (with a list of stats per class in the build in a nice table/grid)
add flavor text and iconography for classes
add special ability descriptions for classes

Anyways, I'd love some testers and feedback on how this can be improved. My plan is to keep it up to date with official builds of the game and add more classes and ranks of units once they are added.

Cheers!

Dave

Here's a sample build bookmarked. (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/#W1sicm0iLDEsMTEsMTEsW1siYSIsMTIsNiwxMl0sWyJzIiw3L DYsMTJdLFsidyIsNiw0LDExXSxbImUiLDMsMSwzXSxbImIiLDE sMSwzXV1dLFsicGsiLDEsMTEsMTEsW1siYSIsMTcsMTEsMThdL FsicyIsMTAsNywxMl0sWyJ3IiwzLDIsOF0sWyJlIiwxLDAsMl0 sWyJiIiwxLDEsM11dXSxbInRoIiwxLDExLDExLFtbImEiLDExL DUsMTFdLFsicyIsMTAsOCwxMl0sWyJ3Iiw0LDMsMTNdLFsiZSI sMiwxLDNdLFsiYiIsMiwxLDNdXV0sWyJ0aCIsMSwxMSwxMSxbW yJhIiwxMSw1LDExXSxbInMiLDEwLDgsMTJdLFsidyIsNCwzLDE zXSxbImUiLDIsMSwzXSxbImIiLDIsMSwzXV1dLFsic2ciLDEsM TEsMTEsW1siYSIsOSw0LDEwXSxbInMiLDcsNCw3XSxbInciLDc sNiwxMl0sWyJlIiwxLDEsM10sWyJiIiwyLDAsMl1dXSxbInNzI iwxLDExLDExLFtbImEiLDgsMyw5XSxbInMiLDgsNCw4XSxbInc iLDcsNywxM10sWyJlIiwzLDEsM10sWyJiIiwwLDAsMV1dXV0=)

http://cl.ly/image/3A0P3O2e2A1f/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-02%20at%2011.33.24%20AM.png

http://cl.ly/image/3i161j1C0o0H/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-12%20at%209.25.20%20PM.png

piotras
03-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Great work! Keep it up!

sinogy
03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
very cool
thanks for that

eAZy
03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Really awesome man, this is great! Can be useful later on if we ever have a "feature build", or for people to easily share loadouts on the forums.

sweetjer
03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Nice, davemo, thanks for this! We should link this up to the wikidot.

franknarf
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Cool, that was fast! It's very intuitive except that I expect, when I have open squares but haven't clicked one, the next unit I select will take the leftmost open spot (as in the Proving Grounds).

Other requests for some time beyond your todo:

color variations,
confirm on removal from team,
clicking squares to switch positions,
seeing the roster sheet in the build calculator itself, so all the stats can be seen at once (for example, by putting the numbers under each portrait (http://bannersaga.wikidot.com/build:_list)),
instead of a printable roster sheet, an image that can be embedded in a thread on the forums with all the info described compactly,
and it would be really cool if there were a parser so someone could enter, e.g.,

rm 12/8/4/2/3

(as some folks on the forum seem to do) and have that translated into the appropriate build/url.

EDIT: Oh right, it's linked on the front page now of the wikidot wiki now.

davemo
03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks frank, great feature requests; I will add those to my list. Next in priority is a stat overlay for each portrait as you suggested. :)

Edit:**

Just pushed a build that adds this feature

confirm on removal from team

Jorgensager
03-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Very nice!

Although a bit unintuitive to realise I had to click on the open slots before I could fill them ~ the triangle to indicate which one is active is a bit subtle, and disappears after you fill a slot (i.e. if you don't notice it at start you could be lost for a minute, like I was :p ).

If you implement frank's first suggestion (i.e. fill leftmost open slot on additional clicks), possibly add a "back" button or so that takes you back to the overview screen after customising a unit. I understand that this is unnecessary, but it would possibly make it more intuitive?

davemo
03-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Very nice!

If you implement frank's first suggestion (i.e. fill leftmost open slot on additional clicks), possibly add a "back" button or so that takes you back to the overview screen after customising a unit. I understand that this is unnecessary, but it would possibly make it more intuitive?

Pushed a new build that has this as well as stat overlays underneath portraits. Also got rid of the little arrow; let me know what you think :)

http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/

http://cl.ly/image/3P2n0k1r182e/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%206.00.22%20PM.png

Slimsy Platypus
03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Wow this is really awesome Davemo - an epic tool for tweaking your build to perfection while you are out of the game. Thanks man!

Jorgensager
03-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Pushed a new build that has this as well as stat overlays underneath portraits. Also got rid of the little arrow; let me know what you think :)

O_o I'm in awe!

Now, if you could display the <skill points distributed> counter in a corner of the images that would be really helpful! (I.e. 0/11 as default then if you add 3 points to strength it will say 3/11)... so that we can see if they have maxed skills without clicking on each individual one.

Out of curiosity... what is this written in, and if I want to learn doing awesome things like this, where would I start? ^_^

davemo
03-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Now, if you could display the <skill points distributed> counter in a corner of the images that would be really helpful! (I.e. 0/11 as default then if you add 3 points to strength it will say 3/11)... so that we can see if they have maxed skills without clicking on each individual one.

That should be easy to add, let me see if I can crank it out fast.

Out of curiosity... what is this written in, and if I want to learn doing awesome things like this, where would I start? ^_^

This is written entirely in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. The source code is in CoffeeScript which compiles down to JavaScript; I have a build process setup to construct all the pieces and put them together using a tool that myself and a co-worker wrote called Lineman (https://github.com/testdouble/lineman).

If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profile:

https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner

Jorgensager
03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
This is written entirely in JavaScript, HTML and CSS. The source code is in CoffeeScript which compiles down to JavaScript; I have a build process setup to construct all the pieces and put them together using a tool that myself and a co-worker wrote called Lineman (https://github.com/testdouble/lineman).

If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profile:

Thanks a lot! I only know a couple of programming languages which make this GUI look very impressive. :p

Very interested, actually! Thanks! I'm working on a log file interpreter (pretty much just to recap the battles in English, for the specially interested == me) but have no idea how to make a program out of it when it's done (also a big problem with it is that it relies on the log format which could change at any time and break the whole thing ^_^)

Arnie
03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
davemo. Badass. What else to say? We gotta hype this when it's done.
Ps. If you wanted to make the lettering more like the game we use minion pro and vinque. Up to you. :)

davemo
03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
davemo. Badass. What else to say? We gotta hype this when it's done.
Ps. If you wanted to make the lettering more like the game we use minion pro and vinque. Up to you. :)

Awesome, thanks Arnie! I was going to ask what fonts you use, I'll see what I can do to either make a webfont version of those or see if there is a freely available webfont that looks similar.

Consider it added to my todo list :D

davemo
03-01-2013, 08:56 PM

Just pushed a build with this feature, but also found a bug when you swap between multiple units in the editor, so that's my next priority.

http://cl.ly/image/0D3H0N1d0L3R/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%207.56.13%20PM.png

erom
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
If you are interested in exploring I also put the entire source of this app up on my github profileRespect.

sweetjer
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
This might sound like a crazy suggestion but how about adding some features in-game doesn't have? For instance: Total stats for your build, like total break/str/armor/etc distributed across the team, average break/str/wp/etc per unit, that kind of thing. Might be sort of useless, but I can see some applications, for instance comparing the average break on two builds you like or something like that.

davemo
03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
This might sound like a crazy suggestion but how about adding some features in-game doesn't have? For instance: Total stats for your build, like total break distributed across the team, average per unit, that kind of thing. Might be sort of useless, but I can see some applications, for instance comparing the average break on two builds you like or something like that.

Yeah, meta stats (as I like to call that stuff) are definitely something I'm intrigued about. I'm going to get the core features like the bookmarkable url and bugs fixed next, but I'm totally open to building some analysis into the tool :)

sweetjer
03-01-2013, 09:19 PM
good point, no use feature creeping the project before the basics are all there, but glad to hear you were already considering analytic applications of this tool. bookmarkable url's sounds like a great added function.

davemo
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Bugfix pushed: you can now edit units more than once and things update properly; there was a bug where stats were shared amongst units of the same class; solved by creating a new stats collection when you edit a unit.

franknarf
03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
For switching positions, maybe put little left-right arrows above or below the selected character's portrait in the lineup?

davemo
03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
For switching positions, maybe put little left-right arrows above or below the selected character's portrait in the lineup?

Yup, that's the easy mode plan, although drag and drop would be nice (but from experience is often a nightmare to get working cross browser) :P

FWIW: I'm only testing this on Chrome for dev :)

Wordplay
03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Neat gadget. :)

Thank you.

davemo
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Alright, bookmarkable urls are working in a basic way; I want to improve them so they aren't quite so long but for now at least you can share your builds!

Here's a build of mine. (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/#W1sicm0iLDEsMTEsMTEsW1siYSIsMTIsNiwxMl0sWyJzIiw3L DYsMTJdLFsidyIsNiw0LDExXSxbImUiLDMsMSwzXSxbImIiLDE sMSwzXV1dLFsicGsiLDEsMTEsMTEsW1siYSIsMTcsMTEsMThdL FsicyIsMTAsNywxMl0sWyJ3IiwzLDIsOF0sWyJlIiwxLDAsMl0 sWyJiIiwxLDEsM11dXSxbInRoIiwxLDExLDExLFtbImEiLDExL DUsMTFdLFsicyIsMTAsOCwxMl0sWyJ3Iiw0LDMsMTNdLFsiZSI sMiwxLDNdLFsiYiIsMiwxLDNdXV0sWyJ0aCIsMSwxMSwxMSxbW yJhIiwxMSw1LDExXSxbInMiLDEwLDgsMTJdLFsidyIsNCwzLDE zXSxbImUiLDIsMSwzXSxbImIiLDIsMSwzXV1dLFsic2ciLDEsM TEsMTEsW1siYSIsOSw0LDEwXSxbInMiLDcsNCw3XSxbInciLDc sNiwxMl0sWyJlIiwxLDEsM10sWyJiIiwyLDAsMl1dXSxbInNzI iwxLDExLDExLFtbImEiLDgsMyw5XSxbInMiLDgsNCw4XSxbInc iLDcsNywxM10sWyJlIiwzLDEsM10sWyJiIiwwLDAsMV1dXV0=)

raven2134
03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Stickied! We will see how to put this up somewhere :D

Would you be able to update this as rank 2 and 3 come online :D? That's gonna make this tool shine like a gem!

davemo
03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Would you be able to update this as rank 2 and 3 come online :D? That's gonna make this tool shine like a gem!

That's the plan :)

netnazgul
03-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Character portraits are a bit shaky when hovering mouse (FF 19), and would also suggest getting shortURL for a build. Except that it's perfect

default_name
03-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Thrasher's Break is 2 max.

It would be nice of someone to check Warmaster, Warhawk, Provoker and Shieldmaster, cause I don't have them in my roster.

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 08:32 AM

It would be nice of someone to check Warmaster, Warhawk, Provoker and Shieldmaster, cause I don't have them in my roster.

Shieldmaster should be 16/13/8/2/4 instead of 16/14/8/1/3. Apart from that (and the Thrasher) the max stats are all correct.

davemo
03-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Shieldmaster should be 16/13/8/2/4 instead of 16/14/8/1/3. Apart from that (and the Thrasher) the max stats are all correct.

Thanks for the second set of eyes on the stats guys, I'll push a quick build to fix this.

Edit: it's now fixed :)

davemo
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Just posted a new build: you can now re-order the loadout! :)

http://cl.ly/image/3A0P3O2e2A1f/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-02%20at%2011.33.24%20AM.png

trisenk
03-02-2013, 12:48 PM
It's beautiful. My fugly spreadsheet just went to the trash :D

As mentioned above, portraits are a bit shaky when hovering on FF19. There's also no limit enforced on varls/raiders/archers, but it's not very important.

gripho
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Wow! great work davemo! I think the stat-analysis features you plan to add will be a delight to numbers-oriented players :)

stoicmom
03-02-2013, 01:53 PM
and helpful for those who are clueless about the numbers, thanks;)

Kord
03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
This is awesome, thanks mate.

DKR4261988
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Really great man!

This community is head and shoulders above most, and its so new!

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't know if this is intentional or a bug, but clicking a character when you have a full build replaces the 6th character in the build for the 0/11 one you clicked ~ no confirmation.

In my opinion it would be better if the slots were "locked" when they were filled in (i.e. you need to actively remove them to replace, or use the order switching to switch places) to avoid unintentional replacements of the 6th unit. (happened twice now while I didn't pay enough attention... the cause being a 13.3" screen and the "done editing" button being at the bottom, so I only see the 12 unit type pictures after I click it... possibly add in a *return to top* function on that button, or place it in the upper left corner, TBS style? :D )

And while we're at it... is "Siegearcher" in one word intentional for typography or a spelling mistake? (technically she's a "Siege Archer")

davemo
03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't know if this is intentional or a bug, but clicking a character when you have a full build replaces the 6th character in the build for the 0/11 one you clicked ~ no confirmation.

I was trying to replicate the functionality from the proving grounds in game, but on second thought that might not be the best idea on a web based build tool.

In my opinion it would be better if the slots were "locked" when they were filled in (i.e. you need to actively remove them to replace, or use the order switching to switch places) to avoid unintentional replacements of the 6th unit.

A good suggestion; I think you and Franknarf both have a good idea that I can use to tweak the UI so it's both more intuitive and lower screen resolution friendly ;)

possibly add in a *return to top* function on that button, or place it in the upper left corner, TBS style? :D

I'll swap the positions of the buttons; I think a more elegant UI for selecting units would also solve this though.

And while we're at it... is "Siegearcher" in one word intentional for typography or a spelling mistake? (technically she's a "Siege Archer")

Aha, this is purely an artifact of the way I store the data (https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner/blob/master/app/js/data/unit_data.coffee#L47) for each unit. I use the unit name as presentational information in the markup to derive the path to the image for that unit. A simple solution would be to add a special case when displaying the Siege Archers name; should be easy to do :)

trisenk
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Small bug in stats: Strongarm's minimum strength should be 9, now it's 8.

davemo
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Small bug in stats: Strongarm's minimum strength should be 9, now it's 8.

Fixed and pushed a new build! Thanks for reporting :)

Jawbone78
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Yup, that's the easy mode plan, although drag and drop would be nice (but from experience is often a nightmare to get working cross browser) :P

FWIW: I'm only testing this on Chrome for dev :)

I see you're not using jQuery at all for this, so I don't know if you're interested, but I've had a lot of experience with jQuery UI and their drag/drop functionality is super easy to use, and they take a lot of care to make things work cross-browser. And while I've never personally used CoffeeScript, according to Google jQuery is still a snap to use with it.

Plus it would give you access to lots of (fairly easily customizable) fancy effects you can add once you've got all your basic functionality ironed out.

Just a suggestion. I may actually fork and take a crack at your source tonight or tomorrow myself and see if it's as simple as I think it will be to implement (assuming you don't mind). And it gives me an excuse to try my hand at CoffeeScript, so yay.

davemo
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM
I see you're not using jQuery at all for this

It's a Backbone.JS app, which uses jQuery under the hood for all the DOM interaction and heavy lifting. You can see all the vendor libs that I'm using on github (https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner/tree/master/vendor/js).

I've had a lot of experience with jQuery UI and their drag/drop functionality is super easy to use, and they take a lot of care to make things work cross-browser. And while I've never personally used CoffeeScript, according to Google jQuery is still a snap to use with it.

Yep, the last large project I did with drag and drop used jQuery UI; the issue I ran into was IE6,IE7 support (admittedly probably not as much of a problem on this project). If you're going to take a crack at it I would recommend using the .sortables() function, which is what we ended up using on that project. Here's a jsfiddle from way back then (http://jsfiddle.net/dmosher/cPuKe/) that still works :)

I may actually fork and take a crack at your source tonight or tomorrow myself and see if it's as simple as I think it will be to implement (assuming you don't mind). And it gives me an excuse to try my hand at CoffeeScript, so yay.

I don't mind at all, that's why I created the code and pushed it up to github as a public repo. Go nuts and submit a pull request if you come up with something cool! :)

Also, if you're going to be running the app locally, you'll need Node.JS installed. I need to update the readme, but here's the short version of how to get it running.

1. Install Node.JS (http://nodejs.org/)
2. Install Lineman (https://github.com/testdouble/lineman) using NPM in a terminal/command prompt: npm install -g lineman
3. In the directory you checked out the battle planner app to: npm install
4. To run the app: lineman run (it will show you the port and hostname to open in your browser)

Jawbone78
03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info!

Jawbone78
03-07-2013, 01:51 AM
So, after a LOT of pain learning to use all the things I had previously only read about(CoffeeScript, Backbone.JS, and Underscore), I've got a working sortable lineup running locally. Now to see about adding drag/drop to add or replace units.

Alazavrus
03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
This is fffing amazing, thanks for the tool!

franknarf
03-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Got a plan for allowing builds that are only possible in older versions of the game? For example, next week, they're probably going to drop the max strength on my Warmaster, so 17/7 is no longer possible. Maybe a drop-down with dates/versions somewhere...

Jawbone78
03-08-2013, 12:18 AM
For those interested, I've got a variation of davemo's battle planner up and running here:

http://battleplanner-rarumberger.herokuapp.com/

It's the same thing, only with draggy-droppy bits.

And if anyone's interested in the source, the fork is here (https://github.com/rarumberger/tbs-battle-planner).

davemo
03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Got a plan for allowing builds that are only possible in older versions of the game? For example, next week, they're probably going to drop the max strength on my Warmaster, so 17/7 is no longer possible. Maybe a drop-down with dates/versions somewhere...

I think I'll probably just keep in sync with the latest version; my plan is to add a revision stamp in the encoded URL so if you try and load an build with old stats it will just notify you somehow. That seems the simplest solution rather than trying to keep track of old builds and stat revisions, or even trying to auto correct stats from outdated builds.

davemo
03-08-2013, 01:12 AM
For those interested, I've got a variation of davemo's battle planner up and running here:

http://battleplanner-rarumberger.herokuapp.com/

It's the same thing, only with draggy-droppy bits.

And if anyone's interested in the source, the fork is here (https://github.com/rarumberger/tbs-battle-planner).

Looks functionally pretty good, just a few bugs I'll try and smooth out tomorrow.

Thanks for contributing! :)

davemo
03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Just wanted to post that I pushed an update to support editing of Rank 1, 2 and 3 units from within the stat editor UI to match the features in build 1.6.21. I've been working on the side on some other features w/ analysis but this was easy to bang out.

http://cl.ly/image/3i161j1C0o0H/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-12%20at%209.25.20%20PM.png

I'm still working through Jawbones drag and drop implementation as well but I'm not 100% sure I want to integrate it as it's still proving pesky for me locally.

raven2134
03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Keep it up davemo! We're counting on you (and Jawbone too), seriously :).

davemo
03-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Pushed a new build with the following changes from 1.6.29:

- Battle: Backbiters Max Strength reduced by 2, Max Will increased by 2

netnazgul
03-15-2013, 04:08 AM
There is a small bug that I've come upon, but still should be looked into:
When in stat editing mode and swapping currently edited character with another one, you'll get current character's rank and stats also swapped (only for editing and display, no actual changes) and it influences editing stats as well.

To give an example - here I have my thrasher in editing mode, where he has 10/11 stats assigned. I swap him in the queue with SM, and you can see my thrasher displayed as rank2 12/12 stats instead of rank1 10/11. Also I can't add any stat for him until I actually click his portrait, so that the display would refresh.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59293229/Picz/bsf_battleplanner.jpg

Playing with this bug further, I've tried to lower my thrasher stats and then click his portrait. So he got like 6/8/4/2/2 but showing 10/11 assigned and can't be upped to his real maximum. Needs to exit editing and re-entering it.

davemo
03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
To give an example - here I have my thrasher in editing mode, where he has 10/11 stats assigned. I swap him in the queue with SM, and you can see my thrasher displayed as rank2 12/12 stats instead of rank1 10/11. Also I can't add any stat for him until I actually click his portrait, so that the display would refresh.

Playing with this bug further, I've tried to lower my thrasher stats and then click his portrait. So he got like 6/8/4/2/2 but showing 10/11 assigned and can't be upped to his real maximum. Needs to exit editing and re-entering it.

Thanks for testing and for reporting the bug! I'll take a look and try and push a fix later today :)

davemo
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM

So I just pushed an update that adds a version string to both the CSS and JS paths, I think you may have been bitten by a cached copy of the script because I can't reproduce your bug in the current version and I do know that this was occurring in an old version.

Can you reload the app (hold shift and hit the reload button in your browser) and try this again and see if it still persists? Also, if you view the source of the page can you tell me what you see for the path of app.min.js? It should have v=0.2.29 like this image...

http://cl.ly/image/0Q4416060i2a/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-15%20at%2010.37.00%20AM.png

netnazgul
03-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Recorded a video with the bug reproduction (ultra Warmaster in this case) to clarify the issue
ic5ohpP8j9Y

Browser is FF 19.0.2, battle planner version 0.2.29 (reloaded with Ctrl+F5)
This bug is being exactly reproduced in IE 10

davemo
03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Recorded a video with the bug reproduction (ultra Warmaster in this case)Browser is FF 19.0.2, battle planner version 0.2.29 (reloaded with Ctrl+F5)
This bug is being exactly reproduced in IE 10

Perfect! Thanks for making a video, I can now reproduce the bug :)

davemo
03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I just pushed version 0.2.30 which fixes your bug Netnazgul, can you test it out?

vrolok83
03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Would it be possible to add descriptions of the active abilities for each unit? e.g. What flail does on a level 1/2/3 thrasher?

netnazgul
03-19-2013, 02:04 AM
I just pushed version 0.2.30 which fixes your bug Netnazgul, can you test it out?
Everything seems to be good now - editor is switched together with units swapping.

davemo
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Would it be possible to add descriptions of the active abilities for each unit? e.g. What flail does on a level 1/2/3 thrasher?

Sure, I will bump this to next in line and add it in my next update. Would you want/expect to see this information on the same screen where you edit the unit stats, vrolok83?

davemo
03-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Everything seems to be good now - editor is switched together with units swapping.

Great! Thanks again for testing! :)

delta_angelfire
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
this helped alot! having quick access to all the units minimum stats has given me new ideas for builds already... mwahaha

davemo
03-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Updated to support changes in build 1.6.43:

- Siege Archer : Max Armor is now 9, Max Willpower is now 13

Vexbane
03-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Love this btw. Great app. Why is this not stickied!

raven2134
03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Because there's a side widget and it's in the mother sticky.

davemo
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Updated to track 1.7.43 which includes the Shieldbanger min/max +1 change.

Kuba
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you, Davemo, for this great app. I just noticed that some classes use different skin than basic one (provoker and raidmaster). But this is only very small issue on superb app.

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 02:52 PM
I just noticed that some classes use different skin than basic one (provoker and raidmaster).

Addressing Davemo here: Rummaging through the game-files (\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\character\...) I noticed that, presently, all portraits/color-variations are available, in their typical png etc format. Its a little more work to implement them, but do-able, methinks.

davemo
04-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Addressing Davemo here: Rummaging through the game-files (\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\character\...) I noticed that, presently, all portraits/color-variations are available, in their typical png etc format. Its a little more work to implement them, but do-able, methinks.

Yeah, I think once I've got some time this weekend I'll make a push with the unit abilities and flavor text, as well as color variations. I spent last weekend rewriting the app in angularjs to learn it, and it's pretty spiffy so I might make the production version of the app move to that as well :)

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Good news! Never heard of "angularjs" before (now), but I'm sure you've got a good reason for it. I've gotta come round to learning some of that java/flash things someday... :rolleyes:

Btw, have you checked the "other" applet thing around (by Rensei) (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1502-Applet-for-displaying-Topview-of-a-match-snapshot-A-plea)? Its about displaying the battle topview. Its getting there fast; inspired by your work! Perhaps you could provide some consulting, or make them inter-operable, you know, loading a team lineup from your builder there. Would be awesome and super-useful, for forum discussions, seminars etc.

davemo
04-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Good news! Never heard of "angularjs" before (now), but I'm sure you've got a good reason for it. I've gotta come round to learning some of that java/flash things someday... :rolleyes:

Btw, have you checked the "other" applet thing around (by Rensei) (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1502-Applet-for-displaying-Topview-of-a-match-snapshot-A-plea)? Its about displaying the battle topview. Its getting there fast; inspired by your work! Perhaps you could provide some consulting, or make them inter-operable, you know, loading a team lineup from your builder there. Would be awesome and super-useful, for forum discussions, seminars etc.

Pretty cool, I hadn't seen that yet! I'll give some thought to how I would generate a loadout that could be injected into it; right now my app code (https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner) is all available online so Rensei could, in theory, use my serialize/deserialize (https://github.com/davemo/tbs-battle-planner/blob/master/app/js/collections/units.coffee#L54) functions to load a loadout from a bookmarked url into his editor.

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Sounds pretty easy. I'm point your comments in that thread too.

Aleonymous
04-20-2013, 03:56 AM
Hello DaveMo,

I've "compiled" some suggestions for consideration in your next version. They are in a loose order or priority, through my pov:

Place a purple-box w Rank number on the portraits (instead of the 11/11, 12/12 etc).
Total team-power.
Include Rank0 classes. Some people still use them!
Color-variations/outfits options for promoted classes.
An option to switch the portrait backgrounds between ally/enemy->blue/red. For use in Rensei's app.
Be prepared for the upcoming 4th unit-type (per class).

EDIT #1: Alas, I forgot the most important: The names! I'd place it #1 or #2 in the above list. Dunno if you can get access to TBSF's name-database for "random" names :rolleyes:

EDIT #2: I noticed that in my browser (Firefox) the portrait of the first 1-2 characters is "vibrating". Its not a big thing, just telling.

EDIT #3: Also, adding a "make-tiny-URL" shortcut would help to copy-pasting the build without those hundreds of characters!

davemo
12-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Resurrecting an ancient thread, but I'll work on these improvements this weekend. Thanks! :)

Aleonymous
12-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Resurrecting an ancient thread, but I'll work on these improvements this weekend. Thanks! :)

Awesome. Great to have you back, davemo! :D We've never stopped using your tool, you know...

raven2134
12-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Yeyyyy welcome back davemo! The site looks a bit different after some hacker mishaps, but I'm hoping we can fix a way to feature your tool and similar stuff that was on the old widget!