PDA

View Full Version : Map Suggestion Thread! What New Maps Are You Dreaming Up?

Berserkis
03-02-2013, 01:05 PM
I thought of alternating one of the maps that are currently in rotation - the one with the fire pit line in the middle. Most of those matches tend to just squeeze up on one side. But I think if the fire was actually spread around the whole map so that there were small pockets (eg for formation - the #5 on dice) might add some more variety.

raven2134
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Cool Idea, we need a map suggestion thread. I'm gonna convert this thread via title.

Slimsy Platypus
03-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I can thinnk a few more spots around Strand battle might break out (and would be really cool to see additional board art of!):

Firstly, right at the front gate! I want into Strand buy my oposition isn't letting me. Perhaps we get a map with a more condensed choke point right in the middle which is the open gate! Might be interesting.

Secondly, the Hall of Valor! From the outside it looks like it must be nearly as big as the Great Hall, so a nice big open area to duke it out. [upcoming fantasy type idea] The kicker is a supporting beam in the dead center of the map (like the one in the Great Hall but in the middle of the map here).

We know fighting is going on in the streets and marketplaces of Strand - so why not give us a map there! Mad because you just don't have enough dough to shell out for some extra renown? Well the simple answer to to spill your opponnent's blood all over the shop in retaliation!

netnazgul
03-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Secondly, the Hall of Valor! From the outside it looks like it must be nearly as big as the Great Hall, so a nice big open area to duke it out. [upcoming fantasy type idea] The kicker is a supporting beam in the dead center of the map (like the one in the Great Hall but in the middle of the map here).

...and definitely the Hall of Valor should have ranking tables updating live as you fight :)

Aleonymous
05-07-2013, 06:19 AM
How about battle-maps with multiple levels? Staircases could connect the levels, and going up/down the stairs would cost +1 movement per-tile-of-stairs, or per-stair. The same would count for attack-ranges.

Actually, this would fall in the general concept of "semi-opaque obstacles". You know, swamps, river-beds or heavy-snow that hinder movement and attack range etc.

Rensei
05-07-2013, 07:18 AM
A swamp tile that ends Your move once You step on it would be cool. A small 2x2 puddle in the middle could really open up some cool plays.

Evil Laughter
05-07-2013, 08:00 AM
A burning building, each time you start the map, different tiles are fire pits.

loveboof
05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
A snowy forest? - lots of little blocking 'posts' like beach, and maybe the deep snow could reduce movement by 1...

roder
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
1 map with an AI unit in the middle Lol get too close, and he attacks you. Kill him, and gain +2 on your horn.

SiberianOrc
05-09-2013, 02:16 AM
A snowy forest? - lots of little blocking 'posts' like beach, and maybe the deep snow could reduce movement by 1...
Heavy non-varls map? 3xRaiders + 3xArchers = forest ambush for horned giants? :D

loveboof
05-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Heavy non-varls map? 3xRaiders + 3xArchers = forest ambush for horned giants? :D

It would be interesting to see players having to adapt new builds to fit the maps rather than working with 'one-size-fits-all' builds, but I wasn't imagining the map to be unplayable for Varls...

Aleonymous
05-09-2013, 06:52 AM
It would be interesting to see players having to adapt new builds to fit the maps rather than working with 'one-size-fits-all' builds, but I wasn't imagining the map to be unplayable for Varls...

I think that as long as the map obstacles/features/whatever are "symmetric" for the two players, then, anything goes. Even the same maps, presented in different ways each time you visit them (e.g. different upturned tables in the mead-house, different post-locations for the beach due to the tides etc) can serve for starters. Nevertheless, the empty approach of the "Wall" map still presents TBSF at its purest.

In your particular example, I was thinking that one could actually find usefulness in having a large varl block the enemy raiders' way to his fellow archers. This is much the same in the beach-map, where varl placement between/around the posts can win/lose the day at ~50/50%.

loveboof
05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I think that as long as the map obstacles/features/whatever are "symmetric" for the two players, then, anything goes. Nevertheless, the empty approach of the "Wall" map still presents TBSF at its purest.

In your particular example, I was thinking that one could actually find usefulness in having a large varl block the enemy raiders' way to his fellow archers. This is much the same in the beach-map, where varl placement between/around the posts can win/lose the day at ~50/50%.

Yeah exactly! The Beach is a favourite for most players because of those kind of strategic options, which is why I thought another map like that would be good. The 'deep snow' is a bit of a gimmick and could mess with the game flow & mechanics a bit, but I think a map in the forest with plenty of trees (just like the posts) would work well.

Definitely agree on the map symmetry! I don't think The Wall is the purest map tho because of it's very close starting positions. IMO the most neutral is The Mead Hall...

AnotherPersona
05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Can we have one that just says, "Screw your idea of strategy." and has random teleport points all around? It could either - randomly teleport on the units turn (to prevent turtles, or, a random TP if the unit doesn't move on it's turn; it will TP the next round), or maybe/also just random invisible spots (always different) that would tp the unit, canceling movement (after TP) but still allowing action. That would be super fun especially with the random build generator. It should only be available on QM though.

Aleonymous
05-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Can we have one that just says, "Screw your idea of strategy." and has random ...

That last highlighted word in your post can raise cries of booing from *certain people* in these forums ;) I'm personally a proponent of more randomness in TBSF, but I feel I'm a small minority... :cool:

raven2134
05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
We could have a map where both armies start in range of each other. Though I think that would be pretty nasty :p

Butters
05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
We could have a map where both armies start in range of each other. Though I think that would be pretty nasty :p

And maybe we could call it... The Wall ? :p

trisenk
05-19-2013, 12:37 PM
And maybe we could call it... The Wall ? :p
Pretty sure raven meant a map where you cannot position yourself outside of range, which you easily can on the Wall (it is 14 tiles long). This hypothetical map would have to be 8-9 tiles long and wide, and even then diagonal corners would be unreachable by melee units. Would it be fun? No idea.

AnotherPersona
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm personally a proponent of more randomness in TBSF, but I feel I'm a small minority... :cool:

Me too! I love playing the random teams, so with a TP map, man.. that'd be so kool. And if it was an option, people couldn't complain (though some still would). Since it'd be like - Oh, you don't like it? Then don't use it. Sheesh. ^^

Butters
05-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Pretty sure raven meant a map where you cannot position yourself outside of range, which you easily can on the Wall (it is 14 tiles long). This hypothetical map would have to be 8-9 tiles long and wide, and even then diagonal corners would be unreachable by melee units. Would it be fun? No idea.

Yes, I too think he was. I was just poking fun at him ^^

raven2134
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM
No we'd call it, "The Doorstep" or "The Vestibule" :D I think I like the latter haha, (Dante's Inferno reference, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - I probably mangled it but whatever :p)

Aleonymous
05-20-2013, 02:07 AM
And if it was an option, people couldn't complain (though some still would). Since it'd be like - Oh, you don't like it? Then don't use it. Sheesh. ^^

That's true. Optional-randomness is surely OK as you put it.

However, I was referring to more hardcore stuff like more RNG-dependence of hits etc, that profoundly affects gameplay :p. Well, there's people out there who'd hang me for that. Perhaps a different game-mode altogether? E.g. having "chess-mode" being just what we have now and "dice-mode" allowing more RNG (e.g. linearizing the STR-below-ARM rule, allowing longer archer-range attacks with RNG etc).

Rensei
05-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Pretty sure raven meant a map where you cannot position yourself outside of range, which you easily can on the Wall (it is 14 tiles long).
16 even ψ(`∇)ψ
It's the only map that allows to move one tile back from the initial starting zone.