PDA

View Full Version : Exploiting maps to force a stalemate and resignation

Scylderon
03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
http://scylderon.com/factions.jpg

Here's a scenario (increasingly common) that enables a certain type of players to force others to forfeit their games, even if they have won the battle.

Let's call Player 1 'Varl' and Player 2 'Sore Loser'.

Sore loser thinks that an acceptable strategy is to fight in the corner of a map. Varl disagrees, and vows to show Sore Loser the error of his ways. Varl defeats Sore Loser handily, save for the one remaining wounded Archer. Because of the map design (a post in two of the corners of the map), the one remaining Shieldmaster that Varl has can not possibly reach the archer in the corner. If the archer doesn't move, this game is a complete standoff. So Sore Loser (having admitted to doing so repeatedly in the past) waits for the rightful winner of the match to resign out of boredom/frustration. The impending loser of the match then takes all the renown and the one who beat him into a corner gets nothing but a dent to his win record.

So here I sit, about 80 minutes into this standoff, waiting for this petulant and entitled player to move or resign. I will not give him the satisfaction, because he is exploiting a game that I otherwise enjoy very much.

Proposed Fix 1: Alter this multiplayer map to move these two corner posts one more square in from the edge of the map.
Proposed Fix 2: Limit the number of times in a row that a player can choose the 'Rest' option for a specific character. This would force a unit to move. This may be a flawed solution that doesn't account for a player's turn running out of time - this could be solved with a forced move or a timeout counter that would award a win to the player who has not 'timed out'.

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
How long ago was this? I was under the impression that it was already fixed.. ;o

Scylderon
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Started the match about 75 minutes ago. Killed all but his archer 65 minutes ago. Still sitting in the game, waiting for Sore Loser to grow a pair.

What made you think that this was fixed? How was it supposed to be fixed?

Jorgensager
03-02-2013, 09:01 PM
What made you think that this was fixed? How was it supposed to be fixed?

This post:
http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1109-Bowmaster-vs-Warhawk-1-vs-1&p=15980#post15980

Good luck, although he's likely AFK :/

raven2134
03-02-2013, 09:31 PM
The fix for this is ready and will go out in the next build or 2. Closing this thread as the issue has been addressed and it is a duplicate topic.

Note: The posts are on the outmost corners of the map in the fixed map, no more hiding space.