PDA

View Full Version : [SUGGESTION] Adding Opacity in Combat

Two
03-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Hello there everyone! Great to be here!

After playing around 30-40 matches now, I believe that the game would greatly benefit from the following suggestion.

When a character is highlighted through the initiative/order bar (or clicked on for that matter) everything blocking the characters model could have a lowered opacity or a lens-based effect. For instance such as the one Fallout 1 and 2 introduced for their games when in buildings or in general the visual path was obstructed (shown here in example: http://steamaddicts.com/wp-content/gallery/20120418_fallout_rgw9/fallout1_09.jpg )

Reasons for suggesting this:
1) It is not often that some information is being blocked by a character, but when it is, it can create problems.
2) It is rare for a game in 2013 to have a fixed camera (of course I am not saying it is bad, I love these kind of games, I grew up with them), and when most do, they have a pseudo-3d feeling with a camera rotation, angle change or something like that. While I understand these are not possible with 2d models, I believe the above suggestion is an easy solution to this rare, yet slightly annoying problem.
3) It is easy to program and easy to add to the game.
4) It can only do good or go unnoticed - I cannot think of anyway this making a bad impression to someone.

I guess this is it. Thank you in advance for the answers!

Cheers,
Two

EDIT: Wording, thanks to tnankie!

gravestorm
03-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Huge +.
I d love to see this one in game

piotras
03-04-2013, 05:09 AM
EDIT:

My bad, read it before having coffee and thought you're also in favour of camera rotation. Just ignore this :p

franknarf
03-04-2013, 05:21 AM
@piotras: No, the OP is just suggesting a visual effect to highlight the selected character (and their banner?) that is only in effect when the character is selected via the initiative bar (instead of the map).

@ non-piotras: Despite the list of reasons, I don't really understand diagnosis (#1)...is this for when two raiders are standing next to each other? I guess the only possible argument against #4 would be if it clashed with artistic goals.

Anodai
03-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Eh, I've never had it be a problem, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been for others. were it implemented, I'd like to see it as an option, as I would not use it.

NonToxic
03-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I support this suggestion and would like to extend the opacity to dead bodies. Is there a Slag and Burn coal under that dead body/obscured by that living Varl? I will have to walk on it to find out!

franknarf
03-05-2013, 07:13 AM
I forgot about the hidden coals, so +1 to that.

gripho
03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
+1 to hidden coals too

tnankie
03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Right...you mean transparency not opacity. If you add opacity as the title suggests, less light passes through the object.