PDA

View Full Version : History's Vikings

Jawbone78
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I assume that lots of people here must have seen the first episode of the new series Vikings on the History Channel. Thoughts?

I was impressed with the production values, especially considering that they apparently had a very limited budget, and I like the direction I think the series is going in, but I was a little disappointed that nothing of real consequence seemed to happen in the episode - it appeared to be setup for the second episode, which will hopefully set things in motion.

The thing I appreciated the most though was that they make no apologies for the Viking way - they discuss the upcoming raiding season as though it is just the way things are, not as though it is some distasteful thing they are forced to do. The only disappointment is in the lack of riches to be found plundering the east, which is as it should be.

For those interested, it's about Ragnar Lodbrok, one of the most prominent figures in the Legendary Sagas, though I doubt it intends to hew too closely to Ragnars saga lođbrókar or Ragnarssona ţáttr. I expect it will be more faithful than the Kirk Douglas/Ernest Borgnine movie The Vikings.

Also, I'm still waiting for a proper series dealing with the Family Sagas, which are far more interesting than the Legendary Sagas, and have just as much killing if that's what turns your crank.

Anyway, check it out if you haven't already.

Dysp
03-06-2013, 12:17 AM
I really enjoyed the show. I actually wanted to watch more just for the viking-history-simulation part, but I must admit, I'm rather ignorant of viking history and had no idea the main character was based on a historical character. However, it's funny seeing Beowulf/Buliwyf in there, for anyone that's seen The 13th Warrior. He's a classic-looking viking.

While watching, I was constantly thinking what shieldmaidens would be like in the Saga. Anyways, what a great time to be airing a high-production value viking show around the time The Banner Saga has released/is releasing? :p

The first two episodes are up for streaming on both the history channel's page and hulu, btw.

stoicmom
03-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the scoop, Jawbone and Dysp. I'll be watching:cool:

Jawbone78
03-06-2013, 12:31 AM
There's like a total Viking revival in the culture right now I think, which is good to see. Kind of makes me upset that I quit working on my M.A. in Medieval Icelandic Studies because I was so pessimistic about job opportunities. Maybe I could find work as a consultant on one of the many Viking-themed projects out there had I stuck with it...

Also, I didn't even notice Buliwyf, though according to IMDb Vladimir Kulich is in the episode. Must watch again.

Dysp
03-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Also, I didn't even notice Buliwyf, though according to IMDb Vladimir Kulich is in the episode. Must watch again.

He had a beard. :D

FfSsBb
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I posted this in another thread as well but I think it is appropriate here as well. In my oppinion, the series is quite fun to watch. There is a battle in episode four where the shield wall tactics of the vikings reminded me so much of The Banner Saga. (also as far as I know, are for the most part historically accurate)Increasing the overall protection of the team, etc. They also used their axes to hook some of the opponents and drag them through the shield wall so that they could be teamed up on by the guys (and girls,one of the main characters is a kick ass shield maid) in the back. Kind of like an reverse Backbiter ability.

SharkSummoner
03-25-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm surprised History Channel's actually having shows about history for once(and not just about World War 2).

Flickerdart
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm not a huge fan of how half of the things in this show either are, or are motivated by, someone wanting into someone else's pants. Otherwise, it's pretty entertaining.

Does anyone know what the deal with the blind seer is? I didn't know vikings had, well, that.