PDA

View Full Version : Always matched to higher ranks?

Agent Orange
03-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Ok, I've been having a great time with the game up until today.

For some reason I keep getting matched with teams 1 or 2 ranks above me.
Isn't this game supposed to be about even matches?

raven2134
03-08-2013, 07:29 AM
It's also matching more based on Elo/skill level now. Meaning the team rank and the skill is "interplaying"

Agent Orange
03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Alright, if there was another way to grind, that would probably make more sense.

My issue is that I need to rank characters and I have barely any renown. I can't get renown or many kills when I'm constantly matched to more powerful teams. Also my ELO isn't that high, only about 1100 ish.

I'm ok with grinding when it's a fair fight, but constantly losing to higher power teams just isn't fun.

If this is working as intended, there should be a prompt before a match that warns of the mismatch and allows you to opt out.

raven2134
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes, honestly, the update just came in and Matchmaker is wonky at the moment. I am waiting for Stoic to get back to office to bring up the recent issues.

Also a minor suggestion, it is far easier to get the kills when you run power 0-2 for your team (not because of fighting less experienced players, but because the effectivity of the units is more even as opposed to having a basic unit with 5 advanced ones). Renown though, should be steady at any level, and the recent matchmaker mishaps are due to a recent tweak which is throwing some things off.

Sorry for the inconvenience, the issue is being monitored.

scase
03-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Yep I have been playing with 3 rank 1's and 3 0's for a while and since the patch I've been getting matched with people that have 5 or 6x rank 1's either barely winning or getting steamrolled. So I bit the bullet and upgraded a couple.

My lovely win streak is all gone now :(

piotras
03-08-2013, 03:56 PM
not happy myself with the changes, takes much longer to find a game and when It does, it's annoying to see that I'm out-powered

not only it feels unfair straight away (even if our Elo is closer) but it stops me from training new units because of possibly being outpowered

Lekkit
03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Not to mention how unfun it is to play against a team with one rank 1 unit and the rest rank 0 with my six rank 1 team.

Meuhoua
03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I think matchmaking need to be always match against same RK then same ELO (and only after that, search for an other ranked adversary), both in the equation give really imba games : i have a good ELO (around 40th on leaderboard i think) but i'm building a new team (actually rk4) and i matched on my four battles today against only rk6 and there's no way to win in this configuration instead of big mistake on the adversary strategy, especially with the actual strategy with 2 big damage dealers + 4 raider's variant.

erom
03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Teams close in RK, teams close in Elo, reasonable queue times. Pick two.

KRD
03-08-2013, 07:16 PM
First two. And then an option to opt out of fair matchups in exchange for shorter queue times.

Vexbane
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I am having the same issues. A button to only play same ranked team would be nice. That way if you want to wait you will find a match. Only using rank1-3 teams is not always an option after you level a decent portion of your barracks.

Underdog bonus should be bigger. I won a match against a rank 6 team wit my rank 4. It was an epic fight that took a little while. What do I get for that? 1 renown..... Yeah that is why many people surrender. I never surrendered in any of my 70+ games until yesterday. It is not worth the time when you are trying to level new guys that will just die. It seems you are promoting the buying of the experienced unit (since they are only 30 renown now). If that is the case than let us know. Right now the 20 extra renown is worth it rather than to deal with the headache of trying to get the kills. Makes me a little disappointed tbh. That is why I suggested a different way of leveling to avoid situations like this.

Chumpy
03-08-2013, 08:43 PM
I think what underdog bonus fails to take into account is that rank 1 isn't just an extra stat point and ability. Being able to shuffle units' stats around can be HUGE; even a rank difference of 1 will count for a lot in the hands of a good player, and right now that's worth no underdog at all.

Jorgensager
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I think what underdog bonus fails to take into account is that rank 1 isn't just an extra stat point and ability. Being able to shuffle units' stats around can be HUGE; even a rank difference of 1 will count for a lot in the hands of a good player, and right now that's worth no underdog at all.

Yeah, underdog bonus seems a bit unbalanced between rank 0 and rank 1 teams, but it's probably not as unreasonable for rank ≥ 6 teams... which seems to be where the game is heading for rated matches... so maybe it makes sense to balance out that bit better... although

First two. And then an option to opt out of fair matchups in exchange for shorter queue times.

^ that would be really nice.

Vomito
03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
So, I was having a lot of fun with this game before the patch. I was always put into matches with other players at my units rank level (sometimes +/- a rank). Now, I'm constantly being dumped into games against players 2, 3 and sometimes 4 ranks above me!

I've been trying to train new units to try new tactics. But, at this rate, it's pointless.

Was this move some sly way of trying to force players to buy renown? If so, I'm done...

raven2134
03-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Vomito, im moving this thread, we already have 3 or so similar discussions on the board.

And yes, the matchmaker will be looked into. It is still undergoing tweaking and just because it's changed for 2-3 days does not mean it will stay this way.

Stoic is currently attending the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, and will be back to regular schedule on the game by Mar. 11 or 12

piotras
03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
hmm, I think that form majority it just feels the game is fairer when the power is as close as possible with elo being the second in priority.

I do recognise that it's a step forward at making it harder for high Elo players to farm others at lower power levels for rank stats and renown, but I think the lesson here is that this approach is too indirect. I.e. rather than going head-first at the problem of rankings, winstreaks etc. and which matches should be recorded and which shouldn't, the current changes introduced caused more bad than good from the perspective of simply having fun and fair matches.

EDIT:

I think I like the idea that stoic will take under consideration (mentioned in another thread) about being able to opt in / out of ranked play, as it is currently with the expert more before you hit the versus button