PDA

View Full Version : 0 ELO gain when doing tournament games

Tirean
03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
as title says, had a few games now where I had gained 0 elo in my normal ladder from my tournament games. Should this be happening?

Dysp
03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't know the system Stoic is using for Elo, but just using a generic Elo formula I found on wikipedia, with K=32, if you're playing new players that have less than 1000 rating (600+ below your rating), your elo gain would be less than one. If it's rounding down instead of up, it would seem that a 0 net gain would be possible.

netnazgul
03-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Somewhere in beta forums was the topic where John posted his Elo counting function. He uses int type cast, so it effectively rounds numbers towards zero.

But nevertheless how could Tirean even be matched with someone 600+ below his Elo? I can't believe that among 300+ players (it's a lower player margin now) there was no one with 1000+ Elo in matchmaker.

Dysp
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, I could see someone who bought units/renown or just hasn't made any traction in the ratings would queue for the tournament and be matched on Tournament Elo rating. Last I checked, Tirean was somewhere around 1550, so a player with 950 or less would be in that 600+ range.

I've heard several times of people constantly being matched with the same person in tournaments. Seeing how there are only 5 matches per day and a 20 renown entry fee, those limits will drastically cut down on those currently queuing. If the tournament MM only matches off tournament Elo, the match making rating gap wouldn't be large for tournament contenders anyway (ratings queuing: 900-1200). Another issue would be players with lower than 1000 tournament ratings will probably not have a chance of winning or placing and might just drop out, cutting down the tournament pool size again. Therefore, I don't think it's unlikely to have those "large-mis-match" match ups in tournaments. If the system works how I am assuming it does, then high normal-Elo rating players risk losing a large chunk of their normal rating while also lacking any normal rating reward for a victory.

If Elo is working as it should, though, the high normal rating player should have no problem meeting low normal elo rating players in tournaments.

If tournaments stay open to all like they are presently, mismatches based on normal elo will still occur. A few ways to adjust this, after there are more player, would be to have league tournaments or include a normal-rating requirement for the tournaments (based on the top X players' rating range).

stoicmom
03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
had three battles in a row where matched with the same viking. he fled the first two times even though he had a power level of six to my four. i begged him to stay the third time; he did, and he taught me a lot. so glad he stayed :)