PDA

View Full Version : Shield Master Buff

Grits
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Anyone else think he should be allowed to activate his ability without attacking?

piotras
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Me!

Given his low movement range he rarely gets to attack as the first one, which makes a huge difference in terms of effectiveness of his skill. And since SB's armour are easily broken by archers with no return the favour he is very simple to sort out.

netnazgul
03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Adding my vote to that

loveboof
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Could be a bit much if it was passive. Maybe just start with it on, then after 1 turn you need to activate it for further uses? :/

[edit: ohh I misread what you wrote.. sorry - yeah no need to attack to activate]

bigfoot
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
eh, they're already pretty strong

gripho
03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I think it was already suggested by some during the beta, and I agree as well

Kazthefirst
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Yes. Yup. Yessir. (Minimum post lengths are silly.)

d2r
03-12-2013, 09:36 PM
I dunno; wouldn't it make them a bit overpowered? Seems like you need to be proactive with it if you want to use the ability ATM, rather than just sitting there with it on.

Gramalian
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
It should also count on the attack that kills him imo .

Vexbane
03-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I think he should be able to activate it without attacking too.

Imo he is not that strong of a unit. Every time I used him I wish I had another warrior tbh. Their armor is easy to break and the extra 1 off armor has not really been a deterrent to attack him. They either do it anyway, attack with an archer, or just ignore him. Now if he could activate it passively too it would help. That way they would get that armor dmg on the initial hit. I agree that they should also do the damage on the hit that kills them too.

Imo shieldbangers in general could use a little buff. It is too easy to break armor atm. So there "thing" is simply not as powerful as having a str 15-17 warrior. I would rather have a unit with 16 str than 16 armor any day of the week right now.

raven2134
03-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't want the ability buff where he can activate his ability without attacking anymore. Cos of how strong rank 2 and rank 3 are, not to mention his break already got buffed to max at 4 :). But I do want to buff that shieldbangers deal RtF even when getting knocked out.

Need some way to mitigate that huge amount of break potential ;), his mobility is it.

bigfoot
03-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I think he should be able to activate it without attacking too.

Imo he is not that strong of a unit. Every time I used him I wish I had another warrior tbh. Their armor is easy to break and the extra 1 off armor has not really been a deterrent to attack him. They either do it anyway, attack with an archer, or just ignore him. Now if he could activate it passively too it would help. That way they would get that armor dmg on the initial hit. I agree that they should also do the damage on the hit that kills them too.

Imo shieldbangers in general could use a little buff. It is too easy to break armor atm. So there "thing" is simply not as powerful as having a str 15-17 warrior. I would rather have a unit with 16 str than 16 armor any day of the week right now.

first, he is a very strong unit, i've played one up to the top 20, and he has been a major part of most of the wins. Yes, at rank 1 his ability is negligible, you should just use that wp to boost a shield break, until rank 2, his ability is "be the only piece you run 4 break on" and it's a damn good ability(I know warleaders can do it too, but not without severely gimping their stats because of the base 5 wp). past rank 1, it's one of the best abilities in the game, even counting the other unreleased upgrades because hitting him in melee is no longer worth it unless you kill, and most teams run 1 archer.

second, 16 armor to 16 strength isn't a direct comparison, you have to invest a lot more to get a unit to 16 strength, because normally the bases are lower. also, against double warrior teams and low break teams, I will gladly run 16 armor over a second warrior. if they spend 2-3 turns breaking your armor, that's fine, that many hits on a warrior would take him out of the game too.

Edit: in game name = srsuied

Grits
03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Hitting RtF on death might be a good thing. Also, how about hitting archers ;P

masterblaster
03-13-2013, 10:37 PM
well, i'm running two Shield Masters atm, and they just get stomped before i usually have a chance to active RtF. I dont see an issue of making it something like Raidmaster's ability. But using it passively also means that a potentially fat armor break attack by the Shield MAster is wasted. My Shield Masters only have 2 Willpower. I'd much rather use RtF as part of an attack, but a passive option would be nice.

Maybe the rank 1 SM could have the passive and attack options for RtF, but at higher ranks the passive option is removed so not to be too op?

SoMuchSwag
03-14-2013, 07:44 AM
I really like the ability being an attack. It feels very rewarding setting it up properly, I used to always have my SM high in the initiative, but for my playstyle I moved him much lower, and have been having a lot more success. The only change I would like to see is having his passive apply the armor break when he is knocked out.

There has to be counter play to SMs and any unit for that matter. Archers are generally considered the counter, i don't think they should be affected by his ability/passive.

Gramalian
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Still think the simplest change he could stand to get is the attack that kills him also gives return the favor. I know I get sad when hes chopped down by someone and they dont get -2 armor. Defensive abilities will always be weaker then offensive ones, so why not give the defensive ones a bit of wiggle room in the " how did he hit me when hes dead area".

d2r
03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I dunno; it feels like it would be a little too powerful if he could activate it on death. As stands, it encourages spending a lot of WP to finish him off before he can shred anoyne else's armour.

Gramalian
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
I dunno; it feels like it would be a little too powerful if he could activate it on death. As stands, it encourages spending a lot of WP to finish him off before he can shred anoyne else's armour.

Im not a great player so it could be my mistakes but from my games it usually takes 3-4 hits to kill him which is great in terms if keeping them tied down to one unit, no ones saying otherwise I dont think. However, its usually 1-2 Archer shots breaking armor and then 2-3 Melee shots, that kill or leave him with 1ish hp. After those 4ish attacks his ability might of hit 1 time depending on if he was killed.

Ticking on his death would guarantee that the player had to choose between killing it and leaving himself open or leaving it and taking hits even more so, instead of counter + 1 or 2 hit kill.