PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Renown

Alex01
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Playing with my friend (who I just raved to about this) was fun, up until our rematch didn't even give us a single Renown point. Not to mention, our kills don't even matter, apparently.

I understand if this is some way to prevent cheating, but it alienates the other players (like me and my friend) who are legitimately wanting to enjoy our matches for what they are.

piotras
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Well, it's not a bug. You get renown for playing with a new friend. If you were allowed to get renown and kills through wins in friend match, it would be very simple to set up a second account and play against yourself (or surrender straight away) and make tons of renown and get all the kills you want in no time.

You can still enjoy the game as it is. If you would like to get more units, than I would advise playing some general matches from time to time too. But stay tuned, some AI from single player will be introduced and maybe more ways to generate renown in a non-abusive fashion?

Alex01
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
It's not even just about the renown, really. Even kills. Like, it would be nice to have them counted too. I don't expect it to be a huge shift, but right now only one match seems a bit limiting. Even 10 would be better, and not too game breaking. Like, I was trying to teach him the game too.

Alex01
03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
bump...

piotras
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
if it's set to 10, than you can just set several accounts...

Alex01
03-14-2013, 07:33 PM
if it's set to 10, than you can just set several accounts...

*rolls eyes* Does anyone else conceive how annoying and unnecessary that would be? This is a game on steam (you have to make an account every time) and you're barely getting any renown in the first place. The game gouges you 30 points for an experienced soldier, and if you win one, you might be lucky to get 7 points. Just to improve your barracks, that's 60 points. That means you have to win almost 7 games, just to do that. And then, you still haven't even improved your troops which cost you 40 more.

So please, don't complain about people ripping off the game, because all that does is alienate the rest of us who just want to enjoy it and play with their friends. Like my friend who is uncomfortable (he's an introvert) playing with strangers, and liked the idea that he could battle me instead and still earn points.

piotras
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Just because you wouldn't bother, it doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't. People do silly things to get the edge in online games. Just go to youtube and type "unlimited exploit" and behold - yes, welcome to the world of online gaming.

Since when making an account on steam is problematic? You start a friend fight with a backup account and surrender straight away and repeat. Make new account until you can milk renown and repeat. Simple as that.

Alex01
03-14-2013, 09:57 PM
What's with all the backers answering questions. Where are the devs?

raven2134
03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Will a moderator suffice for the mean time? If a question or query has been answered in an agreeable manner that satisfies the question, sometimes the devs/mods pass over the thread. I mean, there's not really a need to always reiterate what someone happened to answer if it was already correct :)

Piotras has explained the main reason there are no rewards for friend mode is to avoid exploiting. Besides this though it is also to promote a unified player pool and avoid people isolating themselves to friend mode. The player base is small so encouraging the main matchmaker is more important. However, personally I have thought that perhaps they can increase the incentive to first friend match of the day.

There's nothing really stopping you from playing friend mode as much as you would like to, just that you will not be getting as much from the game from friend mode alone, and need to participate in the wider community to fully enjoy the game. Factions is a multiplayer game afterall.