PDA

View Full Version : Build 1.6.29

John
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Build 1.6.29 Release Notes
Changes:

Battle: No rankings are updated for unranked matches (including wins, losses, win streaks). Unranked matches occur when a party has less than 6 power.
Battle: Win Streak bonus no longer applies to unranked matches
Battle: Backbiters Max Strength reduced by 2, Max Will increased by 2
Battle: Strongarm Battering Ram now pushes enemies up to 4 tiles, instead of requiring exactly 4 tiles.
Proving Grounds: Party limits for Archers and Raiders are now 3 each.
Players who already had more than 3 Raiders or Archers in their roster were awarded bonus renown to hire new units. The bonus is 40 renown per unit over 3 and up to 5, for a maximum renown award of 160.
Proving Grounds: Promotion costs now 30, 125, and 250 renown for Rank 1, 2, and 3
Proving Grounds: Stat Cost flag removed
Tourney: Tournament times now from Wednesday 1200 CDT (1700 GMT) to Sunday 1800 CDT (2300 GMT)
Tourney: Fix tournament info sometimes showing up as 00:00 until restart
Tourney: Now power limited (power 6 required) rather thank Rank 1 limited
Versus: Sword clang sound timing improved
Versus: Power window is now maximum 3 for power 0-3, maximum 4 for power 4-6, maximum 5 for power 7-9
Versus: Elo window now opens twice as quickly (4 Elo per second)
Options: Sound and Fullscreen options now persist between sessions
Market: Market prices adjusted for renown, boosts, and starter pack.
To show our appreciation for everyone who has supported us so far, all prior purchases of renown have been adjusted upward to correspond to the new, lower price of renown! If you were online when this adjustment occurred, you might need to restart the game to see the bonus renown in your banner. Enjoy!
Furthermore, anyone who purchased an Eternal Renown Boost received bonus renown equivalent to the price difference between the purchase price and the lowest price!
Mead House: Experienced Units now hire for 25 renown
Server optimizations

Bug Fixes:

Windows: Fixed a common cause of crashing on startup

Known Issues:

Elo Achievements don't show up until the battle _after_ you trigger them.
Friends show as offline when they should be online
Restarting TBS:F client sometimes fixes the issue

Client Version Too Old
Restart Steam to fix the issue

General Notes:

The game always writes log files into $HOME/tbs_logs/. You can access this or email it to us for bug reporting

KNOWN WINDOWS ISSUES

Crash on startup

Reinstall the game through Steam
Reinstall the game to a different folder if the above does not work

Steam Overlay unavailable
Terrible performance in fullscreen

These are both fixed with the following steps:

Right-click the following
Choose "Settings..."
Ensure that "Enable hardware acceleration" is clicked
NOTE: This does not work with the Chrome browser

quality=high width=550 height=150 parameter=parameter_value

KNOWN MAC OS X ISSUES

The Steam Overlay functions intermittently on Mac OS X
If you load the game without the Overlay, simply restart the game and it usually appears
Crash on startup on Mac OS X
Remove the folder "/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework". If you need to reinstall Adobe AIR, visit this link: http://get.adobe.com/air/

For previous updates, see the Patches & Updates (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?22) section.

Slimsy Platypus
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Big list here - thanks Stoic for the epic support your are providing post release. Just to steal Arnie's methaphor, whether it shows or not there is a ton of appreciation from fans "under the hood".

Yellow
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Awesome guys!, am very pleased to see the unit cap was reduced to 3 as i suggested! keep up the good work, peace out ;)

balnoisi
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
and : strongarm can now push 4 tiles OR less if he needs to.

HeadOpener
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Add on that Strongarms can now use push ability from 1 to 4 squares not only 4 squares now :D

River
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
I'd much rather the class limitations be on advanced classes rather than base classes. :/ I'm fine with mixing up my archer types, but being forced to use at least one raider is annoying.

Yuli
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
=( .. I was really hoping to get back into this game. But alas, there's still no option to wait for a fair fight. I don't want a power window. I want fair fights. Please implement an option for this...I'm starting to regret having invested money into this game.

Baloo666
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
All the money i have spent this week down the tube ....

erom
03-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Letting you insist on ONLY power delta 0 games would make the matchmaker slower for everyone (I can see someone who plays during off-hours being stuck at power 5 for a loooong time if they couldn't match with power 6 players) so I'm glad they aren't offering that yet.

Later, when the player base grows more, maybe, but delta 0 games are already >80% of all games so I think you are being a bit rigid.

John
03-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Tournament matches are always perfect matches (0 delta). We will be adding in the ability to require perfect non-tournament matches in the very near future.

=( .. I was really hoping to get back into this game. But alas, there's still no option to wait for a fair fight. I don't want a power window. I want fair fights. Please implement an option for this...I'm starting to regret having invested money into this game.

Yuli
03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your response. I eagerly await the addition of the feature in question. I think this game has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing it realized. Cheers.

Vexbane
03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the changes. I like that you limited the classes, but imo it should have been advanced classes only. What about the varls? Are you considering 1x advanced class for them? By the price changes it seems that you are encouraging people to just buy rank 1 units rather than change the way units are upgraded so it is more feasible to upgrade units from 0 to rank 1 and so on. I hope that the promotion system gets changed some time.

My biggest issue (matchmaking) it seems was not addressed. I eagerly await the option to play a fair ranked match to get back into the game. I have no interest in underdog matches at all. The rewards are not worth the frustration. Even if the rewards were great, I still wouldn't want to play underdog matches. I like this game and continue to support it.

Hemnon
03-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm a bit confused; is this version not yet distributed through to Steam? I just reinstalled from their servers and still don't have an up-to-date client.

EDIT: Nevermind! Didn't see the steam-restart clause.

piotras
03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Very promising changes, can't wait to give it a go soon.

Butters
03-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Very happy with this update.
I for one was in favor of the base class limitation instead of the advanced class limitation, so that's good.
Matchmaking may get a bit better, will see.
I feel the backbiter may have been rendered useless (max HP 10 really is a big nerf), but will reserve judgement until after some testing.

MrRip
03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Very unhappy about the class limit being reduced from 5 to 3. I very much enjoyed running an all melee team as I felt I was breaking the meta game and self-imposing a challenge on myself. Thematically I felt it made more sense to run all melee as vikings were not notorious for their liberal use of archers. That's not to say ranged combat and skirmishing was absent from viking warfare. If you really think about it though, a 6v6 fight breaking out in a small area would not bode well for someone with only a bow at their disposal. They would probably only get 1-2 good shots off before they were forced into melee themselves.

I appreciate the effort of trying to balance the game but eliminating all melee builds entirely and nerfing backbiters at the same time is not the way to go about it.

PS an actual skirmishing unit with a javelin/throwing axe toss ability would be nice to see.

John
03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
All the money i have spent this week down the tube ....

We certainly didn't intend for anyone to feel like they purchased at the wrong time and wasted money. We have adjusted every prior renown purchase upward as if it had been purchased at the lowest price. I apologize for not executing the adjustment during the update. I've also updated the build notes, above:

To show our appreciation for everyone who has supported us so far, all prior purchases of renown have been adjusted upward to correspond to the new, lower price of renown! If you were online when this adjustment occurred, you might need to restart the game to see the bonus renown in your banner. Enjoy!

John
03-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Yes -- annoying little glitch with the Steam client. I am all too familiar with it, as we update our QA client VERY often, so I get to do a lot of Steam restarts during development :)

I'm a bit confused; is this version not yet distributed through to Steam? I just reinstalled from their servers and still don't have an up-to-date client.

EDIT: Nevermind! Didn't see the steam-restart clause.

John
03-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Hopefully matchmaking will not only be a little faster (it is) but the rare-but-very-annoying extreme underdog match should not happen any more.

BTW based on my metrics the average wait time for a match has dropped by 1/3 since the update today. It's still twice as long as it was before the previous update, but I think we have found a nice balance of waiting and giving it enough time to find a good match for you. The reason the previous update slowed it down is because that's when we added the hard-limit on Elo difference. This update allows that hard limit to open up more quickly than before. It currently starts at 4 and opens by 4 more each second. I think if we adjust the initial window to be larger, say 20, that little tweak will really put the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Very happy with this update.
I for one was in favor of the base class limitation instead of the advanced class limitation, so that's good.
Matchmaking may get a bit better, will see.
I feel the backbiter may have been rendered useless (max HP 10 really is a big nerf), but will reserve judgement until after some testing.

sweetjer
03-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Build 1.6.29 Release Notes

Thank you!

Bloodaddict
03-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Great work!

Players who already had more than 3 Raiders or Archers in their roster were awarded bonus renown to hire new units. The bonus is 40 renown per unit over 3 and up to 5, for a maximum renown award of 160.

A question about this one: Does one get a notification about that or did it happen quietly? I have definitely more that 3 Raiders but did not get a notification about it, but I also did not track my renown so carefully that I would no if I gained anything automatically after the update...

Battle: Backbiters Max Strength reduced by 2, Max Will increased by 2

That caught me pants down... I didn't even know that something like this was discussed (but I admit that I cannot follow the chat all day). I just played two tourney games with the new BB and I think I have to get rid of it... But I am sure that you know that you can never make it right for everyone so I guess I have to live with that! ;)
Anyway, could you give some reasoning? I did not read much complaints in the forum that he was OP (and he was definitely not in the way I played him...), I think I read more about WM/TH combinations to be too strong than the same about the BB.

EDIT: Just found this thread http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1341-Why-nerf-Backbiters
There are pros and cons from players about the BB already, so if someone "official" give some reasoning it is probably better done there than here.

Yellow
03-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Duno what's the hugge deal people is making about the BBs, at 10 strength 10 defence they are fine, i've been using 1-2 in all my builds since i started playing, and never once used a 12 strength one, so far it worked as fine as they should...

They are far from useless as people seems to be claiming... if u where used to have only 12 strength BBs then i can see why u complain as it would be like taking away ur AK-47 and giving u a sword in stead, but hey we are in a viking game, the AK-47 don't belongs here...

HeadOpener
03-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Can we put a copy of this in the patches forum btw ;)

Yellow
03-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Can we put a copy of this in the patches forum btw ;)

once a new build is released, the old one gets automatically moved to the "patch and updates" section...

WildKun
03-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I got:
1 lvl 0 archer, one of each lvl 1 archer class (4 total)
2 lvl 0 raiders,1 backbitter,1 thrasher (4 total)

Only 38 renown atm , haven't spending it, client updated.
Is it right and I shoudn't get renown "bonus" or something isn't right?)

Chopsticks
03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
WildKun, I seemed to have only got mine after I played a game.

John
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Hello WildKun, if you email me at help@stoicstudio.com with your Steam ID/Name I can check your account.

BTW the renown bonus doesn't count level 0 base classes like base archers and base raiders, only rank 1 and above.

JW

I got:
1 lvl 0 archer, one of each lvl 1 archer class (4 total)
2 lvl 0 raiders,1 backbitter,1 thrasher (4 total)

Only 38 renown atm , haven't spending it, client updated.
Is it right and I shoudn't get renown "bonus" or something isn't right?)

Impaler
03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Class limitations should apply to advanced classes NOT to base classes.

franknarf
03-15-2013, 03:55 PM
@Impaler: Well, now that you put forward SUCH a bulletproof argument, I guess they'll have to go redesign the game as you see fit. ;)

Impaler
03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
@Impaler: Well, now that you put forward SUCH a bulletproof argument, I guess they'll have to go redesign the game as you see fit. ;)

Fanks. Impaler for president.

WildKun
03-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Hello WildKun, if you email me at help@stoicstudio.com with your Steam ID/Name I can check your account.

BTW the renown bonus doesn't count level 0 base classes like base archers and base raiders, only rank 1 and above.

JW
Then looks like I just don't qualify for this promo because of lvl 0 classes :(
No info about this restriction in first message

Vexbane
03-16-2013, 05:03 AM
So I decided to try a few games. The matchmaker was ok. I was an underdog in at least 1 game (using a power 6 group), but honestly I did not even realize it until 1/2 through the fight and it cost me a champ. He had a rank 2 BM and I did not realize it so mispositioned a unit.

There needs to be better champ info asap in the game. If something is rank 2-3 I should know immediately by looking at it, but there is no visual que. Yes you can click on the champs, but with a 30 sec turn I am more focused on the strategy than what lvl my opponents champs are. The rank needs to be known in setup as positioning your units will differ depending on the rank of the persons champ.

Imo the best way to do this is to have a reminder pic of what group you are fighting against while you set up. You should be able to click on the pics and get the basic info on the unit you are fighting. Or at least the rank.

There still needs to be a way to get a fair power fight in normal ranked for those who do not care about underdog matches. I hope that comes soon.

John
03-16-2013, 11:40 AM
For the next build we are introducing a differentiation in Versus games. You will be able to choose 'Quickmatch' or 'Ranked'. Quickmatch works like the current system, except the games don't apply to your rankings at all. Ranked only makes perfect matches, but applies to your ranking.

Quickmatch is good for experimenting or practicing without worrying about the ramifications of losing, for people who don't want the pressure of competing, or people who just want the quickest possible match.

So I decided to try a few games. The matchmaker was ok. I was an underdog in at least 1 game (using a power 6 group), but honestly I did not even realize it until 1/2 through the fight and it cost me a champ. He had a rank 2 BM and I did not realize it so mispositioned a unit.

There needs to be better champ info asap in the game. If something is rank 2-3 I should know immediately by looking at it, but there is no visual que. Yes you can click on the champs, but with a 30 sec turn I am more focused on the strategy than what lvl my opponents champs are. The rank needs to be known in setup as positioning your units will differ depending on the rank of the persons champ.

Imo the best way to do this is to have a reminder pic of what group you are fighting against while you set up. You should be able to click on the pics and get the basic info on the unit you are fighting. Or at least the rank.

There still needs to be a way to get a fair power fight in normal ranked for those who do not care about underdog matches. I hope that comes soon.

Baloo666
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
very nice. :)

Yojimbo
03-16-2013, 12:50 PM
For the next build we are introducing a differentiation in Versus games. You will be able to choose 'Quickmatch' or 'Ranked'. Quickmatch works like the current system, except the games don't apply to your rankings at all. Ranked only makes perfect matches, but applies to your ranking.

Quickmatch is good for experimenting or practicing without worrying about the ramifications of losing, for people who don't want the pressure of competing, or people who just want the quickest possible match.

That sounds great, although once past power 6, I think ELO proximity matters more than rank. Personally, I play better against higher ELO players than newer, more unpredictable players who throw everything at you.

However this has changed in the new build, which I'm really enjoying. I found that when I played 4x raider teams, matches tended to descend into a mess that left both players with few options. Matches seem more consistently tactical now. Good job Stoic!

gripho
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM

I totally agree that we should see units ranks on the match-up screen. Well, especially when higher ranks will be introduced for backbiters, I will probably not position my units the same way if he has a level 1 or level 3 BB...

And in-game, in the first 30 seconds I usually barely have the time to check my opponent's 6 units ranges in addition to execute my first move so I cdon't have the time to check their levels in addition to that

Chopsticks
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I agree that there needs to be some easier way to tell a units rank. Perhaps when you're loading the game and you see their loadout and order, have their rank displayed in the corner of their unit portrait?

Vexbane
03-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the personal response John. I really appreciate it. What about the eta on being able to see rank and etc..?

John
03-17-2013, 12:42 PM
That will be in the following build (probably after PAX). For now you can click on their portraits in the initiative bar, and their ability rank should be divulged in the info panel that pops up.

Thank you for the personal response John. I really appreciate it. What about the eta on being able to see rank and etc..?

Vexbane
03-17-2013, 06:45 PM
That will be in the following build (probably after PAX). For now you can click on their portraits in the initiative bar, and their ability rank should be divulged in the info panel that pops up.

That sounds good John.

As far as I know you can only see a units stats when its their turn. Unless I am missing something. If you click on a unit (LC either the initiative bar or unit). all you see is its movement range. The only way to see the stats are when the unit actually goes. Hence why we all want to be able to see a units stats asap.

Micahh
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, you currently see WP, health, armor and move range which will reveal their exertion unless they can't move their full range, so the only really hidden stat is break, and that can often be derived. That being said it's not exactly ideal when you have a turn timer.

Bloodaddict
03-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Tourney: Tournament times now from Wednesday 1200 CDT (1700 GMT) to Sunday 1800 CDT (2300 GMT)

Is there any good reason (or at least any reason at all)* not to allow a time frame of 24 hours for every 5 games? I would really love to see the tourney going from Tuesday 1800 CDT to Sunday 1800 CDT. I think it is a very strong assumption that 6 hours for the last 5 matches provide a fair chance for every player all over the world. Another good alternative in my view would be to limit the number of games to 20 in case you want to keep the time window as it is now, so that the last 6 hours are just to catch up and do not allow 5 new games.

* The only one that came into my mind is that you are very patriotic and wanna give the crowd around your time zones some extra advantage over the rest of the world... ;)