PDA

View Full Version : About Thinking Time

evacpod
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Hello. First, my English skill is very poor to write about complicated matter. But since I love this game so much, I try.

I heard Stoic will change the length of thinking time.
Current: 60s/turn (normal match) 30s (expert mode)
Future(?): 45s (un-ranked match) 30s (ranked match)

Is this change already implemented with latest patch?

Problem is, 30s is too short for me to enjoy tactical play. I have played this game 30hrs until now. But sometime, my old(or just dumb) brain says even 1min is not enough.

The Banner Saga: Factions needs much more players for long-term success. And I think, a lot of new or bad players will want to enjoy rank matches without too much stresses. At least, I want.

So, here is my suggestion.

1. Both player have 60s as "Global Thinking Time"(GTT) at start of the match.
2. GTT will decrease while you are thinking.
3. In each turn(not cylce), you'll get +30s GTT (+bonus if you are an underdog). So guaranteed thinking time for a turn is 30s.
4. On the other hand, max length for a turn is 90s. But you should save GTT in former turns for that kind of luxury.

What will be good about this:
- The overall match length will be dramatically shorter.
- The game will get additional decision making (time management).
- Infamous "AFK tactics" will lost it's effect.
- Consistency (you can use this same system for Ranked, Un-ranked, Tournament).

franknarf
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I figured they were joking when I saw that. :) 45 seconds for newcomers is crazy.

I like the kind of system you propose (though 60s might not be enough...maybe allow it to regenerate when you make fast moves), but, given the cost of implementing and testing it, I think it makes sense to tweak the current system for now.

raven2134
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Interesting suggestion. You may be right that 1 min may be better for new/more relaxed players.

But I also think that with the matchmaker working to match players of even skill, having to play at a faster time won't necessarily be a bad thing. People were not sure how to react about expert mode initially (30 second), but it's also a part of the game for both players to try their best with the time given and end up making mistakes.

The game isn't meant to be something really like chess where it's serious and you could take a day to make a move, but something lighter, quicker, and fun.

Last, to make things clearer, 45 seconds will be default timer for unranked matches.

Current Versus: 60 New Versus Unranked: 45
Expert: 30 New Ranked Match: 30

Leartes
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Last, to make things clearer, 45 seconds will be default timer for unranked matches.

Current Versus: 60 New Versus Unranked: 45
Expert: 30 New Ranked Match: 30

I don't think this is good for new players. When I started playing I often missed my move after 60s of time. Then there are times when you have trouble to click the buttons fast enough to move, attack and power up in the last 5s ...

I'd like some kind of byo-yomi system comparable to the most played mode in the game go. You start the game with some time in bank 60+s and you have 30s per move. That way you can play quickly but have some time for the crucial 1-2 points in the game where you really have to make a hard decision.

StandSure
03-15-2013, 12:58 PM
It's funny, I have been playing exclusively in "expert mode" for both the renown bump and the fact that my games take less time (so I can play more games). Now, I am very familiar with the game from the beta, but I remember starting out that I would get lost in possibilities at first and could max out the 60s. Now I just have to spend my opponent's turn thinking ahead.

It's interesting to me that the 30s was billed as "expert" since I would certainly want to extend my turns if Elo and wins ranks were important to me. Instead, I just want to increase the number of games I can fit in and maximize my renown, so a shorter game feels like "casual player mode."

Lekkit
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I play Expert mode. Almost exclusively. I've only once felt like I would've needed the extra time to think. I have felt that I would've wanted some extra time to think. There are a bunch of shortcuts to speed things up when playing. You don't have to hit the move or attack button to make a move or an attack. Just click the space you want to move to or the unit you want to attack and you've saved yourself a click and possible missclicks as well.

I would recommend people to at least try out Expert mode before saying it's too little time to be able to make decisions on.

Leartes
03-15-2013, 04:29 PM
I would recommend people to at least try out Expert mode before saying it's too little time to be able to make decisions on.

I only play expert mode. And there are times I run out of the 30s - especially with sky striker arrows on the field. I think it is fun and nice if you want to play a lot of games and earn a lot of renown. If you want to win 30s is really low time to think properly imo.

gripho
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
To try, and to stick with it for a few matches. My first matches with expert timer during the beta were awful, but after 4 or 5 matches I was almost completely used to it and doing only a few more mistakes than with 60 seconds timer

Grits
03-16-2013, 02:01 AM
I feel that ranked should be 45 sec and tourney 30 sec due to have to play a ton of games in a short period of time. Don't like ranked at 30 sec.

raven2134
03-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Update, it may be possible to choose whether to play rank/unranked with 30 seconds, just for the bonus renown.

evacpod
03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Update, it may be possible to choose whether to play rank/unranked with 30 seconds, just for the bonus renown.

Thanks. That's nice to hear.:D So new default for rank matches will be 45s? A bit short for me but far better than 30s.

Generally speaking, I think you can enjoy your failures only when you think long enough beforehand.

@franknarf, Leartes
I want Factions to introduce that kind of system, in a future.

Two
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice proposal! +1