PDA

View Full Version : Vulgar Names

Vexbane
03-16-2013, 05:32 AM
This has been brought up before I think, but it deserves its own thread.

In any game that has a name your own character and/or username there are going to be people that make vulgar names. It's just human nature. They want the attention of "hey look at this coolz name I made harhar". I do not mean "Fun" names or "stupid" names I mean ones that have swear words in them or are similarly blatantly vulgar in nature. I also do not mean swearing in chat. People get mad and do that. Again human nature. Repeated swearing/explicit language though should be a bannable offense, like it is in most games of this nature.

Also in every game that has such a feature there is a report name function. It is easy to do and usually is the click of a button. Every multi-player game I have ever played has had one. Yet this game has none yet (that I know of). That should have been done before launch imo. Now I am not sure of any legal ramifications, but there might be some. If an angry parent or someone else notices this and reports it there could be trouble.

Now I am not really offended by them, but more often than not the people who have those types of names are also not very nice opponents to play against. I had a game yesterday with someone with a vulgar screen name. He wasn't a jerk in chat, but when he lost he rage quit costing me kills and time. Now vulgar names and jerk behavior are not mutually exclusive, but they usually hang out together. It also immediately (at least in my case) discredits you and causes all respect to be lost. Beating such opponents with those names becomes a sweet victory for me. Losing to one a much harder loss.

TL;DR
Get a report name function asap!

Hughes_dePayens
03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I only ever look at names during loading, I know you can see them during the turns, but I barely ever notice that.
I don't think it's really a big deal, it's just a word, which you barely see.

erom
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah, this has come up a couple times now - Stoic has mentioned they'll have a system in-game to deal with this eventually. In the mean-time, it's not an in-game solution, but you can email community@stoicstudio.com

raven2134
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Vulgar names (steam IDs) are for reporting to steam :). Head to the player's profile and click report.

Vexbane
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Vulgar names (steam IDs) are for reporting to steam :). Head to the player's profile and click report.

Ah ok I did not realize that you could do this. So you would search for their name on steam and there is a report option?

raven2134
03-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes :).

netnazgul
03-17-2013, 05:48 AM

I think this is more to character names than steam names in this topic

raven2134
03-17-2013, 05:52 AM
Ahhhhh, is it? well yes, if it was character names, then you'd need to email community@stoicstudio.com. Thats a bit of a tricky issue though, not sure what Stoic could do, seems too much to ban a user for that.

Vexbane
03-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I think this is more to character names than steam names in this topic

It is both actually. I was not aware steam had its own reporting mechanism or that stoic was relying on that instead of its own. I still feel they need their own, much like they are going to implement the ignore, report chat function.

Ahhhhh, is it? well yes, if it was character names, then you'd need to email community@stoicstudio.com. Thats a bit of a tricky issue though, not sure what Stoic could do, seems too much to ban a user for that.

There should be an easier way to report them than sending an email. Hence why I said the report name button. One could be added to a unit when you click on it, as an example. This would automatically send you the information. As far as what they would do, most games would force a rename of the character. It is usually an automated process. So when you logged in you would get a message that you need to rename a character. Then it would bring you to the proving grounds. This would not cost the 10 renown (or whatever the cost is) and the player would not be able to do anything else until they changed it. As far as banning a player for that if they keep breaking the rules than they should be.

This is a basic game function of any game that allows naming. While it may not seem important or relevant you can and will lose players over this issue. Some people will not like the idea of being censored, but it is a necessary step imo. It is about respect to your fellow players and to the game itself.