PDA

View Full Version : Bug with pillage and fire map

gripho
03-16-2013, 07:07 PM
There's a bug in the fire map (well, I suppose this is a bug, if it's the wanted behavior it's a bit strange to say the least), when you're on Pillage mode and you have a unit that dies on the flame (by standing there on the beginning of its turn), the opponent player has its turn with his remaining unit immediately, even if you still had some units that should have played before that...

Fortunately this didn't cost me the game, but I would have hated it if it had been the case ;)

Guğmundr
03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I can confirm this happens when any unit dies because of any coals: the pillaging team gets to move all of his units before your pillaged unit takes his turn.

hreinnbeno
03-18-2013, 04:38 AM
I can confirm this happens when any unit dies because of any coals: the pillaging team gets to move all of his units before your pillaged unit takes his turn.

He isnt talking about that. You are the pillaging team. You have 3 units. First is able to do. The second dies on the coal and then the third unit turn is skipped and the guy that has only one unit has his turn.
It happened to me as well and influenced my outcome.

raven2134
03-18-2013, 06:53 AM
This is probably so that alternate turns stick, otherwise the "suiciding" player would have 2 turns back to back

hreinnbeno
03-18-2013, 07:56 AM
This is probably so that alternate turns stick, otherwise the "suiciding" player would have 2 turns back to back

But at least in my case I had 2 units against one after the unit died in the coals. Though he managed to kill the second unit in his turn, because all of a sudden he had a turn that he really shouldnt have had. I could understand it if there would be 2 units against one, one dies in coal. Thus the pillage goes away, but not when there are 3 units against one.

Guğmundr
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
He isnt talking about that. You are the pillaging team. You have 3 units. First is able to do. The second dies on the coal and then the third unit turn is skipped and the guy that has only one unit has his turn.
It happened to me as well and influenced my outcome.

Oops, I misread.

I agree. But if so, I don't see why it should be this way; having two units is usually a better position to be in than having one, so if you "suicide", it's generally either by accident (which happened once in my case) or because you started your turn on the coals. Since suiciding to get into pillage actually puts you in a worse position, I don't think the game should punish you even more by letting the opposing team take all of his turns...

But, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess there are a few situations where it would actually be beneficial to suicide into pillage (e.g. if you had a 1h Archer and a full-strength Warrior, and you suicided your archer to make the Warrior go immediately), but I still think it would be a little more intuitive if "the pillaged unit always goes first."

raven2134
03-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Which is more intuitive is debatable at this point I think. And maybe it's something we should test. Is pillage where pillaged enemy goes first even with a possible back-back more intuitive? Or is playing alternate and only allowing the pillager to take back-back more intuitive?

hriennbo I don't understand. How could the other guy be in pillage and alternate turns...You mean you were already pillaging and your second unit dying on the coal switched the turn back to him, instead of your third going?

hreinnbeno
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
hriennbo I don't understand. How could the other guy be in pillage and alternate turns...You mean you were already pillaging and your second unit dying on the coal switched the turn back to him, instead of your third going?
Exactly, and from griphos points, that is what happened to him as well. Adding though, if this is a bug I dont think this bug should be prioritized as it only happens in one map and happens probably every 1000 games at that map (under very specific circumstances)

gripho
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Exactly, and from griphos points, that is what happened to him as well. Adding though, if this is a bug I dont think this bug should be prioritized as it only happens in one map and happens probably every 1000 games at that map (under very specific circumstances)

Yeah, I was in a 4 vs 1 pillage, and my second unit to play (1 strength warhawk) started his turn on the coals and died. Then initiative switched back to my opponent instead of me playing with the last two units before that...

I agree this is a rare situation so unless it's a very simple fix it's not worth fixing in the next couple of builds. If you know it you can avoid it too, but it's quite counter-intuitive behavior so that's why I consider it a bug.

vrolok83
03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
i had a run-in with this bug with a strange effect the other day. my opponent had two units left, and i had 3. he was clearly about to lose as his had 2 str/1 str each. he ran his 2 str unit into the fire to suicide, the game went into pillage mode, and it was my turn to move my 3 units before it was his turn to move his single remaining unit which i promptly dispatched on my next turn, and the game did not end...

it just kind of stopped. it was nobody's turn. the game was stuck until one of us left. since i was going to be the victor, i stayed in the game to wait, but my opponent also stayed. maybe he was waiting me out or something so that he could get the win even though he clearly lost. he did miss out on his 3 renown, though, since he left.

raven2134
03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
I'll bring this to John's attention when they get back from PAX. They leave today :). Wish them luck and much press.

netnazgul
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Can confirm that this bug has nothing to do with coals, but with any death during pillage. Here playing vs Tirean, and his Warhawk dies due to Rain of Arrows, denying his Strongarm a turn (around 21:15): http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul/b/381376017