PDA

View Full Version : Win streak suggestion

Orath89
03-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi guys, I was thinking now that the win streaks are only registered in ranked match, with equal power level, why don't we upgrade the rewards for higher win streaks. For example, every 5 wins in a row add +1 renown to the current win streak bonus. In this case the risk/reward system is more efficient in my opinion, because it's more difficult to mantain a win streak high (you have more pressure every match) and as the win streaks only are registered on ranked games we also prevent experienced players to farm new player.

Aleonymous
05-07-2013, 07:38 AM
TL;DR = I agree. Boost the renown-bonus from Ranked matches.

Hey Orath.

I believe that a very small portion of the TBSF community is actually playing ranked-matches (RM), compared to those playing quick-matches (QM). The reason is twofold:

the small renown profit; actually just the +1 for a win-streak
the general "fear" of losing Elo-ranking and/or current streaks

The first reason can be easily changed/balanced, by some renown-bonus change as the one you're suggesting. However, I'm not sure if boosting the Win-Streak bonus is the best idea; instead, I'd go for a boost to the win-renown, e.g. +3 or +5. Why? Read on...

The second reason, this "fear of losing", is perfectly understandable for semi-casual players like myself. Some people just don't like having sources of stress when they're playing, especially when its against other people (and not AI). Losing a cherished win-streak can be a reason to carefully avoid RM. So, the QM gets something like the natural choice. Considering also the wait/queue-times for RM, it gets really-really difficult to support those!

Nevertheless, I understand that TBSF can be though of as a competitive "sport", so there should be some sort of classification of player performance. I think the Elo/Ranking system currently used is the best choice for that, and it accomplishes another task at the same time: If players are encouraged to play RM (only!), then everybody would "settle" at their particular Elo-score, and then the MatchMaker (MM) would match them against equally strong players, so that each battle would be as thrilling as that first one, fighting with 50% chance-of-success :). But, I guess, that this lesson-from-life ("when you lose, learn from your mistakes, pick yourself up and get motivated to win tomorrow") is difficult to infuse in or demand from all video-game players. Some people just wanna win all the time... For those hardcore "antagonistic" players, there's always the Tournament where they can get-off! Some people are just too scared of losing... For them, there's the single-player Saga that will be "beatable".

roder
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree with aleonymous, i think win-renown should be more for ranked matches. QM are just quicker to find matches and usually easier to win.

also im not sure if this is how streaks work, but i think you can do 2QMs and then win 1RM and still get the streak bonus, then repeat