PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Taking timeouts

DTor214
03-31-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but I don't see it being discussed anywhere, so...I would love to see a new feature in the game that would allow a player to call a timeout in the middle of a match.

I'm thinking this would be useful when someone knocks on my door, or when I have to run stop my cat from doing something bad, etc. I'm also the kind of player that often spends 40 seconds or more planning a move, and sometimes even 60 seconds isn't enough. Running out of time stresses me out and sometimes causes disastrous mis-clicks, so I think being able to call a timeout and think a little longer would add a lot to my experience.

I understand that this feature could be abused to grief other players, so I would suggest limiting it to one or two minutes of extra time per game. Love the game, can't wait for the single-player, etc.

Aleonymous
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree. Such a feature would be very helpful, especially on the expert 30sec-timer.

The match-screen could be blacked-out to limit/prevent thinking-out your next move, while the other opponent if AFK answering the door or chastising the cat. When the "asker" is done, he clicks an OK-button, the "answerer" too, and the match goes on as normal.

d2r
03-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I oppose this mainly because it'd be too easy to troll (i.e. calling timeout to dirupt your opponent's thinking), and because I think that the time limit on thinking is there for a reason. Sometimes 60 seconds is not enough, and you have to make a sub-optimal move. That's the way the game works.

loveboof
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
It could be quite a cool idea with one refinement... Keep the left over time which you haven't used for each move you finish early in a sort of 'time bank', which you can draw on when you need a little extra thinking time?

A bit like flexi-time :/

d2r
03-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Not sure how easy that'd be to program, though...