PDA

View Full Version : Battle UI suggestions

lysambrias
03-31-2013, 04:13 PM
I really like the new info bar that appears when you click a unit in battle. It's helpful and it looks good! Since it looks like the Battle UI is still being worked on, I want to see if people had any other thoughts about it.

For example, I think the flags that appear above a unit displaying willpower, armor, and strength look nice and fit the theme. However, when units are clumped together the information isn't quite as clear and the flags cover up other units on a diagonal:

http://i.imgur.com/6aEnxf8.png

Here's a quick mock-up of what the same information would like like, displayed in the tile that a unit occupies. To me, this would be a little clearer and obscure less of the character art.

http://i.imgur.com/gxqqCXc.png

Would something like this be an improvement? Any other thoughts on the Battle UI?

franknarf
03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I would prefer it on the edge/corner of each unit's tile, so that the damage circles (red on black) can stay where they are.

Actually, now that we have the info bar with the stats, they could even show the three stats as fractions at the unit's feet (as is done for health in the "status circle" in this other game (http://howdypedia.com/Unit)) or as bars of different heights.

Anyway, the overhead setup is nice to look at, but often obscures info and looks a lot busier than the no-banner look.

lysambrias
03-31-2013, 06:00 PM
Good point, I forgot that the damage circles already occupy that space.

The overhead setup is great when units are spread out, but it's a melee heavy game so that's rarely the case for long.

d2r
03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
In defence of the overhead setup:

1. It can be turned on and off at will. So you can turn it off if it's in the way.

2. If it were just at the bottom, we wouldn't get the at a glance bar depletion we get with the overhead view, where we see the armour and strength bars become emptier as you take damage. It's certainly helpful for quick glances, and lends itself to fewer mistakes than would simply looking at numbers on the base.

mindflare77
03-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I can definitely see the clutter being a problem when melee is fully undertaken. On the other hand, it *is* relatively to toggle on and off... What about making them slightly transparent when mousing over a given unit?

That is, if I mouse over the (backbiter? Raidmaster?) diagonal from the archer, his banner remains as normal, but everyone else's becomes more transparent. That way you can easily see whose banner is whose, and more quickly differentiate what units are what without having to toggle the entire overlay off.

franknarf
03-31-2013, 11:23 PM
Any display could satisfy those two requirements (toggling and showing fractions or bars), though, right?

I guess the advantage of the overhead setup is that it's okay to put them on top of the units. If info were displayed on the tile and a unit's tile is blocked from view by another unit, it would look weird to show that info *through* the unit in the front.

EDIT@mindflare: Yeah, that would help. I think, in general, they need a way to make the selected unit and his/her banner stand out, and it shouldn't be hard to do this... Currently, the active unit gets a spinning circle tile. As an alternative to the transparency thing, they could just highlight the tile and banner.

Butters
03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Good thread.
I personally never had much of a problem with the overhead banners, but I can see how it can be considered suboptimal.

It's unrelated to the above, but I have another suggestion/request for the UI.
When selecting a destination for movement, there should be a short delay before the 'action buttons' appear around the unit. This is to avoid miscl icking confirm when you are selecting a waypoint.
It happened to me for the second time today while I was walikng a TH around coals, and accidentally ended movement midway. It was a tight tournament match, decisive for me and my opponent. That error cost me the game (opponent agreed) and my shot at the tournament (though it was admittedly thin), and even my spot on the global top20 - which is of course extremely frustrating.

HeadOpener
04-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Good thread.
When selecting a destination for movement, there should be a short delay before the 'action buttons' appear around the unit. This is to avoid miscl icking confirm when you are selecting a waypoint.
It happened to me for the second time today while I was walikng a TH around coals, and accidentally ended movement midway.

I do this so often and throw more games away then I care to mention it because of it!

LEVEL 5 DWARF
04-01-2013, 07:42 AM
I agree with the OP on this.

Kletian999
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I like franknarf's idea of sticking the 3 in the corners but retaining longer bars up the sides of the units.

lysambrias
04-02-2013, 03:43 PM
I thought about this some more, and one of the trickier things when units get bunched up is trying to tell which banner belongs to which unit (on which team).

Right now, units with the same color scheme on opposite teams look identical, as do their stat banners displaying willpower, armor, and strength. The teams are red and blue, as are the colors for armor and strength.

Since the stat banners hang above characters without being connected directly to them or their tile, some way to differentiate between each team's banners would be helpful. Different colors (though red/blue might be a challenge), shapes, designs, or some kind of coat of arms would make it easier to tell which team/character a banner represents.