PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need EXPERT mode?

evacpod
04-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello. Sorry for bothering you again. In recent days, I only play expert mode. So this is not a post saying "30s is too short" (which I have made last month).

I think expert mode (30 seconds mode) is unnecessary.

Because:
- If I understand correctly, in MM point of view, we have 7 player groups now.

Unranked (normal)
Unranked (expert)
P6 ranked (normal)
P6 ranked (expert)
P12 ranked (normal)
P12 ranked (expert)
Tournament

I like options, but this is too many... and we are not so many.

- Is there any reason to grant a massive renown bonus (+2) to players who like shorter games? I think it's just a matter of a personal preference.

- On the other hand, as you raise your team's power, earning renown may become more and more harder. Especially in P12ranked/tournament, your opponents are pretty serious about winning. But there are no renown bonuses for these true "expert" matches.

Solution(?):
- Remove expert mode and expert bonus.
- Add following bonuses instead of expert bonus.
P6 ranked (+1/match)
P12-ranked and tournament (+2/match)
- If you think 45s/turn is too long for thinking time, how about 40s/turn?

I should stop thinking about this masterpiece all day, or I'll lose my job.:o

Arnie
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Expert mode does not divide the player base. If you click it your saying that you're okay with a 30 second timer. Your opponent may have a 45 second timer still.
All Tournaments are 30 secs though for both players.
Am I understanding your argument?

Kletian999
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I can say there is nothing worse than the feeling of missing your turn by 2 seconds; it's rare though and my turns are pretty quick otherwise, but I'll sometimes play 60 seconds to help relax. It's also rare, but occasionally people acts like jerks and deliberately wait their turns out (Pillage mode, archer running from strongarm 1 square a round until she got stuck in the corner from the center board). I don't think we need to divide the playerbase if one person wants 30 second turns, a player might not mind their opponent having 60. Making it an option to play vs. 30 only or both times is the most work for devs but likely happiest for the players.

Slimsy Platypus
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Keep in mind the following:

Just because you have expert mode on, doesn't mean you only get matched against others with expert mode
The "Ranked" and "unranked" match types do not mean you only get matched against others that chose the same match type as you (you can click "ranked", and get matched against someone that clicked "unranked"; your Rank changes upon the outcome, your opponent's does not)
There is no power 6 and power 12 group currently - you may be referring to tournament matches?
You can currently enter the general matchmaking queue at Team Power 1, 2, 3, 4, ... up to 18
The expert mode button is a means to allow newer players to have enough time to learn play the game while keeping experienced player's games moving along quickly [citation needed]
Right now there are 2 player pools: tournament matches and regular matches

Removing the expert mode timer unfortunately will not result in faster queue times. Similarly, perhaps I am misunderstanding here, but it appears you are confused about Team Power and how it functions with matchmaking. In "ranked" matches, you will always fight someone with the same team power, in "unranked" matches it allows you to be matched at a different team power, but from my experience those occurrences have been very unlikely. You click "Ranked" if you want to build up your ranking and get a perfect match. You click "unranked" if you just want to play.

Kletian999
04-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Arnie ninjaed my post. Ignore what I said.

evacpod
04-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Expert mode does not divide the player base. If you click it your saying that you're okay with a 30 second timer. Your opponent may have a 45 second timer still.

Oh...when I select expert mode, an opponent can still have 45s timer? Sorry, I didn't know that. I don't know why I couldn't notice it after playing 100+ matches. My main concern is gone. Thank you Arnie! That was a quickest reply I have ever received from game developers.

And thank you Slimsy, Kletian! It seems I had a wrong idea about MMing.

Haeso
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes they've avoided one of the pitfalls I've seen plague games with small populations, splitting the playerbase. So far I've yet to wait more than a minute or two max for a game even at 2-3 am east coast.

erom
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
It seemed from an outsider's perspective it was probably the hardest thing to get right, subject to dozens of changes during beta and immediately post release, so it's good to hear it is working well for people now. My experience has been much the same - games have been quick and even on unranked have only very rarely featured a power delta (and only once in all my games with the finished system have I played against a power delta of 2).

raven2134
04-03-2013, 07:01 AM
If this were an MMO, Arnie's main job would be viking-developer...and his secondary would be ninja :p. How's that for awesome.