PDA

View Full Version : Some obvious flaws that need fixing

WeihGuy
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Hello,
Factions is an AMAZING game, but not without flaws. Here are some problems and solutions I think would help. If you think something better would do, please say so.

1- Not able to view complete unit stats: So far, on the battlefield, the only full stats you can view is only from the unit who's currently in turn.

Solution: Make stats complete stats available to all units when clicking on them. It makes room for more strategic decision for target picking based on exertion and armor break.

2- Fire pit map: I know people say it offers different tactics and everything, but there are a million better ways to do that without making a broken map. Since you don't know what map you get, you can't pick out the perfect units for a specific terrain and get screwed when you get this map. Archers in this map (especially when they're on the other side) are incredibly annoying and unfair. The pillar and rags on each end make moving units from one side to another impossible.

Solution: Remove the damn pillar and rags to give players on opposite ends or with too many melee units to readjust without having to go all the way to the end or step in the fire. By removing this useless obstacle, it also allows to make a 2 space hole in the middle for the sake of tactics and balance.

3- No ability details: Seriously? No precise numbers on the tool tip? I have to go to the wiki to find out if promoting certain units are worth it.

Solution: Add them...please.

Shiri
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
No. 1 was just added in the last patch after much complaining since beta! Click on a unit and look towards the bottom-centre!

No 3: There are precise numbers on the tooltips for abilities. Go to the proving grounds, select the unit type you want, and click the purple lightning bolt button for an expanded tooltip for their ability.

Bertez
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
That said I would like for there to be numbers somewhere on base movement and archer range would have made learning a lot easier

hovercraft
04-03-2013, 01:37 PM
And No. 2 Fire pit gives variety to the game, some like it some not. It's not like you play it every second time, and as each maps gives the same opportunities to both players. I'm against being able to pick perfect units for a matchup. As for archers on the other side of fire - people often mistake fire in your way for protection to their archers, so it's often easier to get them than on the other maps.

WeihGuy
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
It's just that for the fire pit, you can make it unique without making it annoying. A few tweeks will do both

Aleonymous
04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
1- Yeah, its implemented. Took me some time to figure out that you need to click on the unit in the grid-map, and not on its portrait! The latter just highlights (actually its quite dim! :)) the unit in the grid, and then you gotta click the unit to get the actual stats. I'd have these aux-stats arrayed in a vertical column right atop the portrait of the unit clicked, i.e. just a smaller version of the active unit. I don't really like the horizontal line, but, will have to do!

2- Seems like the firepit is always a #1 issue, mostly as a negative, for all new players! For myself, even after 60-70 matches, I still sigh a curse when I see the polar-bear come-up in a Ranked Match. Nevertheless, I've never played a dull match there!

3- I agree. The in-game ability details really need a buff. Especially some tricky/complicated ones at higher ranks...

Greix
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
And No. 2 Fire pit gives variety to the game, some like it some not. It's not like you play it every second time, and as each maps gives the same opportunities to both players. I'm against being able to pick perfect units for a matchup. As for archers on the other side of fire - people often mistake fire in your way for protection to their archers, so it's often easier to get them than on the other maps.

Yeah, I concur with the variety bit. Most maps are strictly cosmetic in variation. Between the fire pit and the four tree stumps, there's not much else that differs.

The fire pit isn't necessarily safety. It's bad for Varl as if they walk straight through two tiles, they'll take twice the damage. And if someone doesn't know how to properly path their character's movement, they could take life threatening damage.

Maps aren't really the most important thing at the moment. Tops is getting the units working and sorting any lingering bugs. But if they want an idea for some twists on maps, they could do some kind of time based maps. Tiles that spit fire every other turn. Puddles of spilt mead or ice that can slip and cost a player his turn if stepped in. A low hanging wall or table that gives +1 Armor.... just future ideas?

Tatski
04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm 50/50 on the Fire Pit map... Sometimes I like it sometimes I'll have a "this is going to be a loong game" moment when i see the polar bear.. I think it depends on the lineup.. I find Zone Control teams very good on this map and I enjoy it when I'm using a zone control team.. Don't worry to much about the Firepit map I'm sure were going to get less of it once they add new maps..

HeadOpener
04-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I have to say the Fire pit map is my favourite. Most people block out the option of crossing thinking that 1 damage is too much to risk it etc but some of my best plays and games come from crossing over that pit and back or punting myself over it and diving back etc.
I love it for the variety and different tactics it adds. Makes it less chess like and more TBSF like :D

Impaler
04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
What happened to my post pointing out the most obvious flaw of this game - the RNG?

Ninjineer
04-03-2013, 06:03 PM
There is only a 60% chance to successfully post in an armored thread.

raven2134
04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Impaler, please keep that in the other thread, thanks. OP, I may close this topic in a short while, the concerns are duplicates of other existing threads and mostly addressed. I'll wait for a few more replies to come in. Thanks for posting though ;)

netnazgul
04-04-2013, 01:35 AM
No1/No3:
If you click unit on the battlefield - his complete stats show up above turnqueue.
If you click unit on the turnqueue - his ability descriptions is shown.

HeadOpener
04-04-2013, 05:10 AM
nm Thought better of it.. apologies.