PDA

View Full Version : So let to guess all of the future classes & game-play changes based on nothing

Bertez
04-06-2013, 10:42 PM
So here is the plan. I am going to try and write down my predictions for all the future additions to the Banner Saga Factions and save them for posterity to look at when the single player game comes out. You all are welcome to try and have a guess too. If nothing else the devs will have a good chortle.

Brace yourself, Fairly long post incoming

Edit: actually a bunch of smaller post as that is easier

Bertez
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
New Archer Class:
The Crippler

Appearance: A dark haired, battle hardened older woman in a grey shawl. Her arrows have little hooks on the shaft.

Stats: Max 7 health and max 6 armor. 0-2 break and 0-3 exertion. relatively high will power with a high minimum.

Ability: Sadistic Arrows The Crippler aims for a sensitive part of the body doing less damage but putting the target in too much pain to take strenuous actions. The attack is 2 less strength than normal but the non-damage part can't miss. The target is unable to attack their next turn. Rank 2 removes the strength penalty. Rank 3 Also stops the target from using will power for abilities or movement.

Next up, the Champion

loveboof
04-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Oooh. Talking about 'little hooks' on the arrows, would it be cool to have an arrow that hits for fairly low damage, but tags the enemy - and the arrow can later be torn out for additional damage by the archer?

Could be risky to get in close with a squishy archer, but fun to have a marked enemy for a few turns with the potential for serious damage...

:) Just thinking out loud really

Bertez
04-07-2013, 01:07 AM
That's a pretty fun idea Loveboof. Maybe it could also be torn out by melee units on their next attack.

Anyway...

New Shieldbanger Class
The Champion

Appearance: Square jawed and resolute, the Champion wears head to toe chain mail and a helmet similar to the back biters but with holes for horns. He does not have beard, but does wear a little bit of scruff. He carries Varl sized versions of a traditional sword and shield.

Stats: max 15 armor and 14 strength. Max 7 will power and 0-2 exertion. 1-3 break.

Ability: Determination. At rank 1 This ability will block the effects of 2 attacks or abilities until his turn comes up twice. No matter how painful the siege archer's slag or how hurtful the provokers words the Champion is not effected. This ability does not stack when used multiple times but first use ends as the second begins. Rank 2 gives 3 blocks and rank 3 gives 4 blocks

Haeso
04-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Didn't they already say the next archer is going to be a hunter that can also melee? Or is that an entirely new class?

I'd like to see a raider whose special ability is to throw his axe.

Perhaps a warrior varl with a spear that has 2/3/4 range and strikes all targets in a line. Including the ability to attack diagonally.

Raider:

Max 12/12/8/3/2

Min 8/7/3/1/1

Ability: Throwing Axe. 3 Range, deals strength damage. Reduces all damage dealt by 3 until he retrieves his axe by hitting the target of his axe throw or entering the square where the enemy unit previously hit by the axe has died.

R2 = +1 Str Damage. R3 = +2 str damage.

A shieldbanger that can absorb damage for an ally would be interesting.

16/12/5/2/3

Shield Other: For one turn any attacks on the target are redirected to the caster 1 range per rank.

Bertez
04-07-2013, 01:55 AM
I think hunters are a new base class and are dudes. all the current base classes will get a new specialization.

HeadOpener
04-07-2013, 05:35 AM
All the info for the new ones coming are already on the forum somewhere, I can't find it right now but it's there I promise. We have Grudgewielder and so on..

franknarf
04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
All the info for the new ones coming are already on the forum somewhere, I can't find it right now but it's there I promise. We have Grudgewielder and so on..

You probably mean this post (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1094-Mini-Compilation-of-Known-Unit-Info) where Slimsy gathered names and pictures...? It doesn't have info on abilities or attack and movement ranges, but that would ruin the fun of (i) finding out later and (ii) making threads full of guesses/proposals like this one. :)

The next four each belong to one of the base classes we've already seen. After that, there are new base classes: the hunter guy Haeso mentioned, a human called a mender, a varl called a berserker and a human (?) spearman...and after that, we might already have chapter 1 of the Saga!

Aleonymous
04-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello Bertez. Both your suggestions sound very nice to me. Let's see who falls closer to the final mark!

Some other similar threads in this forum (its a good read and some nice sketches too!)
"New Unit Ideas" (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1325-New-unit-ideas)
"Suggestion New Unit Ideas!" (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?580-Suggestion-New-Unit-Ideas!)
"Mini-Compilation of Known-Unit Info" (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1094]Mini-Compilation-of-Known-Unit-Info)

Honestly this topic is never-ending. I'd love to (have pledge in KS :(, and...) have had a "special KS gift", at say >1000$, where you got to name or propose a unit-type!:cool:

Bertez
04-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks Aleonymous. Those were good reads. I knew the the new shieldbanger class had a name but not that all 4 had names. In which case the new archer would probably do something totally different than what is described. Here is what I guess a "Sharpshooter" would be like.

Real New Archer Class
The Sharp Shooter
Appearance: A short, stocky, round faced farm girl with shoulder length blonde hair and a sea green cloak. She is dwarfed by the large long bow that she carries.

Stats: 3-7 Strength , 2-6 armor, 6-12 will, 0-2 exertion and 0-3 break

Ability: Longshot. The player picks one of the 4 cardinal directions. The Sharpshooter fires an arrow in a straight line in that direction that does strength damage on the first unit hit. The amount of strength that hits is not equal to the sharpshooters strength but instead equal the the number of squares the arrow traveled before it hit. This strength is subject to rules of armor, miss chance, resist, puncture and anything else that would effect a normal attack. Rank 2 adds 2 to that strength and allows the arrow to hit the next person in that direction instead. Rank 3 adds an additional 2 and allows the option to hit the third unit in that direction.

Butters
04-08-2013, 01:10 AM
That's a really cool idea Bertez ! Sounds very interesting. Not sure about the balance, but it doesn't seem outrageous either way at first glance.
Too bad we likely won't see the new units in a long while :/ Well, that's all the more time for speculation I guess ^^

Bertez
04-08-2013, 01:44 AM
That's kind of the reason for this thread. The devs are taking a long time to announce this, and for good reason as this stuff takes time to do right. However, it is kind of a shame that we aren't getting a steady stream of new announcements to pour over. Basically with this kind of project we can have our own home grown announcements until the devs come with something more legitimate.

Bertez
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
New Warrior Class
The Wardog

Appearances: A dark haired varl with crazy eyes, His war scared face in framed by large sideburns and a large unkempt beard. He has one large curled up horn and another that has broken off. He wears a brown, stained tunic and holds in two hands a spear as tall as he is.

Stats: 8-12, 9-15, 4-10 0-2 0-2

Ability: Desperate Push. The player picks a direction. The Wardog shoves units directly in adjacent to him in that direction 1 square in that that way. If this would push that unit into another unit, that unit will be pushed back the same way, as will units behind him and so on. After that the Wardog steps forward. If this would push a unit into a wall of an obstacle the move does not happen. The wardog then steps forward. At Rank 2 the Wardog will do this twice in the same direction and at rank 3 he will do it three times. At the end of this ability He will automatically do a strength attack against the adjacent unit he will do the most damage to, with ties decided by turn order.

Aleonymous
04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes: I like how you've worked the whole deal out! Looks, name, skill, ranks etc. I have some rather "raw" ideas, so I'll just throw them here. Please excuse me if I duplicate something already mentioned/suggested in these "new-unit" threads. I can't keep everything in mind! Anyway, here goes:

(1) Archer-Class : Poisoner -- When hitting, she deals normal damage to a target and poisons him/her. That deals 1STR over some (?) turns, until her next turn or until killed. Depending on how "powerful" the poison is, her strength should be likewise reduced (e.g. 4-5 max) so that the hit-chance is generally low.

(2) Raider-Class : Dancer -- He has an attack style similar to the backbiter's, but follows a different move-pattern, for instance like the knights in chess. He can "squeeze" diagonally through two occupied tiles and attack targets protected behind them. His ability can be used for an attack or for a defense-bonus (due to his passive), when targeting an enemy or an ally, respectively.

(3) Shieldbanger-Class : Sentinel -- Activating his ability means marking some (?) unoccupied adjacent tiles, secret to the opponent, like the RoA. When a unit passes from any of the marked tiles, the Sentinel automatically attacks them for armor-break and terminates their turn.

(4) Warrior-Class : Berserker -- His ability lets him transform some (?) of his armor to strength, for the purpose of a melee attack. The armor is lost permanently, and the strength-bonus drains off at the start of his next turn, potentially killing him!

I think there is bound to be some Berserker unit (already planned by Stoic), which I'm guessing is gonna be a Warrior-varl, and have a similarly "reckless" behavior. For the rest, as I said, I'll not be surprised if they've been suggested multiple times already! Sorry for that :)

PS - It was fun playing against you, Bertez! First time I've battled someone I met here in the forum. Unfortunately, the 30s timer (and the heat of the battle!) didn't leave much time for chatting.

Aleonymous
05-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Here is what I guess a "Sharpshooter" would be like.

Real New Archer Class
The Sharp Shooter
Appearance: A short, stocky, round faced farm girl with shoulder length blonde hair and a sea green cloak. She is dwarfed by the large long bow that she carries.

Stats: 3-7 Strength , 2-6 armor, 6-12 will, 0-2 exertion and 0-3 break

Ability: Longshot. The player picks one of the 4 cardinal directions. The Sharpshooter fires an arrow in a straight line in that direction that does strength damage on the first unit hit. The amount of strength that hits is not equal to the sharpshooters strength but instead equal the the number of squares the arrow traveled before it hit. This strength is subject to rules of armor, miss chance, resist, puncture and anything else that would effect a normal attack. Rank 2 adds 2 to that strength and allows the arrow to hit the next person in that direction instead. Rank 3 adds an additional 2 and allows the option to hit the third unit in that direction.

Hehe, Bertez hit quite close to the "spot" for the Sharp-Shooter (now called Eagle-Eye) ability ;)

Lorddirk
05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I've had a few ideas about this as well.

We've seen attacks that focus on armor breaking, or sapping strength, restricting movement and even the turn order. What I haven't seen is an attack that directly effects the opponents willpower. I'd love to see a unit with an ability to sap a willpower point from an opponent. Even if it is a 1 for 1 trade, using 1 willpower to take away 1 willpower from an enemy unit. If no units have died yet, so there is no horn blows available, and there's a couple low WP units, it could be a very effective strategy. It could even restrict movement as willpower is used to go that extra tile or two. Either way I think that specific move might allow for some great late game planning or even mid game harassing tactics.

Some more unit combinations might be cool as well. One I had in mind was:

The child soldier: A Dredge unit type, and with inspiration from civil war photos displaying young teenagers and children adorned in uniforms and brandishing guns, going to war. This would be a man sized, or smaller, dredge unit with low health and armor. They would have a large movement radius and would be great for harassing or blocking larger units from getting close to their kin. The passive ability I had in mind for them would work like a reverse of the shield wall. Instead of tanking damage, if one of these units was struck, any adjacent ally by by 1 or 2 tiles within striking distance of the assailant would immediately attack.

The concept behind this is that these child soldiers would nip at the heals of their opponent, what with their low health and armor, but if positioned right (I.e. next to a warrior or stone slinger dredge) would be a risky unit to attack.

Aleonymous
05-09-2014, 03:37 AM
What I haven't seen is an attack that directly effects the opponents willpower. I'd love to see a unit with an ability to sap a willpower point from an opponent. Even if it is a 1 for 1 trade, using 1 willpower to take away 1 willpower from an enemy unit. If no units have died yet, so there is no horn blows available, and there's a couple low WP units, it could be a very effective strategy. It could even restrict movement as willpower is used to go that extra tile or two. Either way I think that specific move might allow for some great late game planning or even mid game harassing tactics.

At first (Factions-only era) I thought that WP was kind of a taboo for Stoic, i.e. something that they would never mess with, except for the Horn & Rest mechanics. But, after Saga, and seeing those WP-related abilities like

Embolden (+1WP to Spearman and adjacent allies per kill),
Rally (+1,2,3WP to one ally, at any range),
Mend (Restores one ally's ARM for the amount of ~50% of Mender's current WP) and
Sunstrike (zeroes one enemy's EX so restricting WP use),

I now come to believe that those stats are not "untouchable". Sunstrike ability sounds the closest one to what you propose, an offensive ability that messes with enemy's WP.

The child soldier: A Dredge unit type, and with inspiration from civil war photos displaying young teenagers and children adorned in uniforms and brandishing guns, going to war. This would be a man sized, or smaller, dredge unit with low health and armor. They would have a large movement radius and would be great for harassing or blocking larger units from getting close to their kin. The passive ability I had in mind for them would work like a reverse of the shield wall. Instead of tanking damage, if one of these units was struck, any adjacent ally by by 1 or 2 tiles within striking distance of the assailant would immediately attack. The concept behind this is that these child soldiers would nip at the heals of their opponent, what with their low health and armor, but if positioned right (I.e. next to a warrior or stone slinger dredge) would be a risky unit to attack.

That's very interesting but, potentially, a bit unbalanced. I like how it ties in with Slingers (Dredge women/mothers) who, in combination with this child-soldier, would make a devastating combo; imagine melee-hitting on of those kids while in-range of 4-5 Slingers... Hmmm, come to think about this, it would end up with human women (mothers) shooting down Dredge kids :(

This idea could also work as an active-ability for Shieldbangers: Whenever the SB receives a hit, enemy takes AB (from RtF) while the SB (and/or his in-range allies) retaliate immediately. Hmmm... Could it be that this was the active-ability of the Champion promoted SB class?

Utilizing the paradigm of Mark-Prey and RtF abilities, I could try to mod these abilities into existence so that we can taste them in combat...