PDA

View Full Version : Applet for displaying Topview of a match snapshot -- A plea

Aleonymous
04-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello guys & gals,

There have been many instances throughout the forum when somebody wanted to make a point about some battle movement, a strategy, unit-placement etc. That was typically resolved with some "code-box" like the following:

.=empty tile, -=obstacle, c=coals, x=enemy-human, X=enemy-varl, y=ally-human, Y=ally-varl,

.cc..
xccy.
.XX..
.XXYY
.--YY

Well, the above is abstract-enough to make simple points, but is barely usable when trying to describe complicated situations or subtle points. Inspired by dmosher's "tbs-factions-battle-planner" (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/) (for building/displaying team-lineups), I was wondering if someone could (cuz I can't :o) build a similarly "light" applet-thingy that allows fast&easy sketching-out of a combat snapshot, e.g. like in the following picture:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99633386/Sample_TBSF_TopView_Snapshot.png

Being somehow "scriptable", this kind of applet could also help replay (or just play!) matches, when the game's log-files are eventually fully decoded & functional.

*** I hope that Stoic have their IPR clear, and will not worry about people starting to playing TBSF offline, e.g. like chess in parks (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chess_players_in_park,_kiev.JPG)!

franknarf
04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
+1. Yeah, if only we could drag and drop characters from DaveMo's editor onto a grid...

mindflare77
04-07-2013, 04:39 PM
+1

This would be awesome. It'd also help in explaining things to new players.

Evil Laughter
04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
+1 I could try but only in about 2 months time (heavy deadlines at work)

Aleonymous
04-12-2013, 09:19 AM
+1 I could try but only in about 2 months time (heavy deadlines at work)

I guess any progress whatsoever is welcome. Myself, I am too unacquainted with web-app-dev, so it would take me 2 months to figure things out! I stress that the key point is developing something practical (like davemo's thingy (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/)) that can be very easily used/embedded anywhere on the web-community.

If you have any ideas or suggestions or guidelines for newbies, please share. It could inspire the courage needed to undertake the task! :D

Rensei
04-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I made dis!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/frbzzb

Quick and dirty version, done in flash, loads of flaws.

For now You can add units on a 11x8 grid (limit of 11, NOT foolproof - Your computer might explode upon exceeding it), changing their class (click on the archer to prepare an archer, click once more for bowmaster etc.) and side (click blue/red side to change the prepared units border), cannot add fire/obstacles (yet, working on it), change the background (first thing I got working ^_^) and finally save the result as a .jpg file (the image is bigger than the grid - probably because of the additional workspace I am using - working on it).

franknarf
04-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Nice, Rensei! You've probably already considered this, but it would be nice to show the unit's stats somewhere, too (including rank).

Aleonymous
04-14-2013, 02:31 AM
Wow, this is awesome work Rensei! :eek: Keep it up. Two things:

(1) If you want any help with the bitmaps (grid-tiles, unit icons, red/blue icon-backgrounds, backgrounds, coals etc). I can give a hand. Just tell me the specs you're working with (file format, pixel-size etc).

(2) After you're done more-or-less with the UI-type-generation, you could consider implementing some sort of "scripting" to it. You know, feeding a simple text-file (?) with all the specs (units,types+specs,obstacles,positions) and having it generate the JPEG directly from it.

Rensei
04-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Version 0.2 is here!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d16ozf

Changes:
- You can no longer move the grid :( (and it has been made nicer, just in case You've found a way);
- AddFire/AddBlocker now here and working (there is also no limit to how much fire You can add, You can fill the whole map with fire!);
- added a nicer background :cool: (Vikings would not approve this Ikea shit, but helps with visibility);
- AddUnit screen made nicer, still working on displaying stats (tho it looks they might be very hard to read on human units, might need a bigger boat);
- the resulting .jpg file is finally trimmed to 550x400 (might trimm it a bit more, so my ugly buttons won't be there);

you could consider implementing some sort of "scripting" to it. You know, feeding a simple text-file (?) with all the specs (units,types+specs,obstacles,positions) and having it generate the JPEG directly from it.
Oh man, I knew it - You got me a fulltime job with this.

Aleonymous
04-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Vikings would not approve this Ikea shit, but helps with visibility.

:) Swedish are Scandinavians, and so were vikings... Is there something of a history lesson there?

You got me a fulltime job with this.

Hehehe, consider it offering to the community! You seem to be cruising at a very good pace; should be completed soon. One thing is functionality and another is aesthetics etc. Pick one and focus on target!

Gogogo!

Rensei
04-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Aaaaand version 0.3 is finished.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m74okw

Changes:
- stats are finally here, You can read them even on human units;
- adjusted positioning and sizes;
- third faction joined the fray - the dark side! (house Stark coming next);

One thing is functionality and another is aesthetics etc. Pick one and focus on target!
I am, my Flash trial is done in few days so I'm focusing on it. Next stop - Photoshop trial and propper scaling.

raven2134
04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
This is interesting...I'll keep an eye on it. Btw, why is there no way to remove a unit on the grid?

Also, wouldn't it make the most sense to pattern this against a game map? (to that end, would it work better if this was made bigger, i.e. more squares) All you'd have to do is count the squares.

You know, if this gets really polished, this would mean you could play the game via mail/correspndence just via the jpegs (forgot what this game type was called).

Man...the possibilities...

franknarf
04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Yeah, if you zoom out to a full map as raven proposes, then the stats will be even harder to see (and they already make it hard to tell between raider/raidmaster). Maybe array red team on the left and blue team on the right (or above and below) with their stats? Then we could drag them into an initiative order, too. You'd still need a way of distinguishing between units of the same class on the same team (a crude solution would be a letter or number in the upper left of the unit icon...). Besides, you still need somewhere to show rank, which will make the stats even more crowded!

Nice third faction!

Aleonymous
04-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, fitting all the stats (apart from the Rank, don't forget the starting ARM and the max WP as well! ;) that totals ~8 numbers plus a two-three acronym for the class-name) and still maintaining the portraits "nice" will be exceedingly difficult; at least from an aesthetic POV.

Ah well, I guess the programming-rules apply here too: (1) make it work, (2) make it work fast, (3) make it pretty. The first is almost done, the second needs some way, the third is quite far away (and too subjective to judge).

Rensei
04-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Ver 0.7

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rrue1o

Adds:
- The Skull Of Removal - drag units/obstacles onto it to remove, units removed don't reduce the unit limit (me and Flash understand Arrays differently), said limit increased to 20, reaching it disables add unit option;
- unit level indicator

Aleonymous
04-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Nice, the purple rank-circle fitted perfectly. I'm thinking that there is space to divide the ARM/STR/WP boxes with a diagonal slash, and place the current/starting values on top-left/bottom-right corners, respectively. Just a suggestion.

You're working on the "battle-loader" too, eh? Good, good! The whole thing ended out as "just" a weekend's project for you, and its done ;)

PS - If you are interested in adding the actual in-game maps, here's a tip: Due to the isometric scaling of the game, if you pick any of maps (from snapshot etc) and stretch its height to 200% and then rotate it by 45deg coutner-clockwise, you get the exact top-view square-grid. Here's an example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBSF_MapStretch200AndRotate45.png
(minus the blue&gold squares, the units&banners etc) If you like I can work them out.

Rensei
04-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Quick update - while sipping some coffee this morning, I finally managed to make v.0.8 read and interpret simple txt files (tough bastard this one, still not as tough as v.0.5).
Will do some polishing and present it after I'm back from work.

Next step: saving and/or reading/generating a short code for easy trading.

Getting the map any bigger would probably require starting the whole thing from a scratch (the current code is quite messy :rolleyes:).
I think it would also require some permission from Stoic since what You are proposing is more or less rewriting their game in much (much) simpler form. You could ask them for some clean maps while You're at it :P

Aleonymous
04-15-2013, 07:36 AM
I think it would also require some permission from Stoic since what You are proposing is more or less rewriting their game in much (much) simpler form. You could ask them for some clean maps while You're at it :P

I'm fairly sure Stoic wont hand out any official in-game material. Well, concerning these legal aspects, we could wait and hear something from the moderators or other "officials". In my opinion, if this thingy does not make any money and it does not *proven* reduce Stoic's income, then there's no need to worry over IPR. But, best keep it low anyways, cuz the guys are doing a terrific job, both in artistics and in game-design.

Arnie
04-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Oh my...this could be really cool.
Sending this thread the John to see if he can help out in any way.

Rensei
04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Great news Arnie :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m371y1

As promised: v.0.7, able to read *.txt and *.btl battle files. It expects a series of 10 numbers separated with white signs (space, enter etc.):
- side (0 for blue / 1 for red)
- unit type (1-4 bangers, 5-8 warriors, 9-12 archers, 13-16 raiders)
- stats (armor, hp, will, exertion, break, level)
- X square number (1-10), Y square number (1-8)

Next version will either be able to create such files or go straight for reading/creating battles from strings of data. I'm looking into browser communication to allow something similar to the great battle planner.

Sample (creates column of all raider types at 1,1 and a column of all archer types at 2,1):

1 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 1 0 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 1 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 3
0 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 4
1 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 1
0 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 2
1 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 3
0 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 4

Aleonymous
04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
You've done some wicked stuff Rensei!

-- One minor thingy (you're probably aware of it) : The blocker- & fire-tiles stay "on top" of the units, when they should be not-allowed & under-them, respectively.

-- One major thingy : If you manage to decode the tbs-battle-planner (or contact DaveMo about it!), ppl could prepare their builds there, and then copy-paste the URL containing all the info into you battle-reader that would then place the units on some default locations.

Rensei
04-15-2013, 05:41 PM
v.0.8 manages to translate the unit positions into the number-space-number-space string
v.0.9 does the same for byte into char (for the pro looking random letters and signs string) but starts losing units if I go above 2 :(

Aleonymous
04-16-2013, 03:11 AM
v.0.8 manages to translate the unit positions into the number-space-number-space string
v.0.9 does the same for byte into char (for the pro looking random letters and signs string) but starts losing units if I go above 2 :(

I'm not sure what you're muttering there, but I guess is important! :D Methinks your "giant steps" of v0.1-->v0.5 will now slow-down a bit, now that debugging comes around. Keep up posted ;)

Rensei
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
v.0.8

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t4n0uk

Changes:
- fire/blockers now land at the bottom of the stack, they should no longer cover units;
- minor button/graphic changes;
- loading/saving battles almost complete - only missing the saving to a file option;
- experimented with some backgrounds (sadly Ikea still beats all);

The "code" remains the same - 10 numbers separated by white signs per unit. Press the "Code battle to the text field below" button to generate code representing current battlefield. Pass it to someone, and he can paste it to the upper text field, then press "Load battle from the below text field" button to see what You prepared. Fire/blockers won't be saved/loaded.

Still working on compressing it/trying to figure out how to connect it with Battle Planner code.

EDIT: Save to file now also works. alas it is very crude and leaves the puzzled user on the save/load screen. Will polish soon. Uploaded save to file version.

Rensei
04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Another stepping stone
http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.swf?code=(enter my battle code here, the browser will automatically convert spaces to %20)
the version on this site is bugged and requires some work but manages to successfully load the given code onto the board :]

example http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.swf?code=0%2012%201%202%203%204%205%206 %206%205%201%2011%201%202%203%204%205%206%204%204% 200%2010%201%202%203%204%205%206%207%203%201%209%2 01%202%203%204%205%206%202%201%200%202%201%202%203 %204%205%206%204%207%201%2015%201%202%203%204%205% 206%201%203%200%2014%201%202%203%204%205%206%205%2 03%201%201%201%202%203%204%205%206%207%207

stoicmom
04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
impressive work Rensei :)

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 02:34 AM
This keeps getting better and better. I'm sure the "blockers" and coals will make it to import/export soon enough, a minor issue. Another new idea/feature (i keep buzzing you, eh? :)); what about loading custom backgrounds? (jpeg or png, properly trimmed to dimensions etc)

Butters
04-17-2013, 02:56 AM
That is wonderful work :)

Bertez
04-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Great work Rensei! Just of few minor features you may or may not want to add bases on how much more time you want to put into this thing:

-Some way to display the turn order would be really nice as that information can really change the dynamic of certain scenarios

-By that same token information on the status of the horn for each team would be good too.

-Some way to load custom portraits for the different units so that when a new class comes out or folks want to show scenarios for levels in the single player without need an update,

Again these things are pretty minor and you could almost release this now and walk away while still having done the game and the community a great service, but if you still have the energy the would probably have the most effort to improvement ratio

Rensei
04-17-2013, 04:50 AM
I am entering what 5 days ago would be S-F for me (5 days ago I didn't really believe I'd manage to make just the first step working). Just tested first mobile version for android O_o

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Well, if Stoic need an extra hand in programming, they now know where to look for! ;)

Some (more) suggestions/remarks:
-- An "edit-unit" button/feature? For changing units' data after you've placed them.
-- An easier way to +/- the stats (@create/edit unit), e.g. respective push-buttons? It'll be cool to have it "all mouse", i.e. no keyboard needed.
-- About the fire/coal tiles: Some of way telling if a unit stands on fire?
** Blocks don't actually prohibit units from being place on them. A minor thing really...
** The Skull (upper-right) is for removing units, right? Put some tooltip describing it, as for the rest of the buttons.

Yth
04-17-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm trying to create a guide on the tactics board talking about positioning. My options for diagramming different examples of positioning are my own home brewed excel file grid, or images from this tool.

The one thing this tool is missing is a listing of the initiative order of the units (which I guess I can add in manually). Very nicely done!

Rensei
04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Keep the ideas coming guys. I may not implement them all but it's a great motivation to keep me going.

Originally it was just supposed to be a simple unit positioning tool for people to arrange them the way they want, to explain map situation easier, and then prntscrn it into an image, so it has some limitations and adding things isn't always easy. Still - doing my best, while learning Flash :]

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
I attempted to start from scratch on java for this applet, but I admit I was soon proven too coward to make any real progress... Scientific programming is were my competence stops. If you considered starting a blog about your "ordeal" with this little devil, you're surely to have one eager reader :)

-- I think the main feature currently missing for true no-nonsense functionality is, as Bertez & Yth pointed out, some initiative order. Auto, manual whatever, just display-able. All other stuff are minor.

Rensei
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
v.0.8a

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t27jrr
http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap8.swf?code= + (code here)

- Added MIN/MAX values for all units. New unit has its stats reduced to MIN value.
- Stats of the new unit can be changed by clicking on the button below textfield (each click increases until MAX, then resets back to MIN), or mousing over the button and scrolling (up - increase, down - decrease, cannot go over MAX or below MIN).
- Fires and blockers are being worked on in order to enable loading/saving their positions, as a result they are currently not drag-able.
- Toyed around with buttons :)

Working on units list to act better, enable real deleting (current version only hides them ^_^) and include blockers. Once that is done creating initiative bar should be fairly easy, so I'll go there.

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Great, the stat customization is vastly improved (mouse scroll-wheel), and the "glossy" iPhone-style attribute-icons look soooo sleek! Actually, almost too sleek for a viking themed applet :D

-- You could eventually place a check on the attribute-points allocated on the units stats. When all are at minimum the points available are 10+Rank, i.e. [10,11,12,13] for Ranks-[0,1,2,3]).

PS What happened to that dark-siders? Vadered?

stoicmom
04-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Rensei, i'm computer illiterate and cannot figure out how to get this onto my mac and use it :(

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Rensei, i'm computer illiterate and cannot figure out how to get this onto my mac and use it :(

I'm not at all Mac-literate, but on windows/PCs this kind of applets are opened with the web-browser (I'm on Firefox). If you have installed/activated the flash-player (plugin etc) on the browser, it should work straight up.

Rensei
04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
@stoicmom
http://get.adobe.com/pl/flashplayer/ -> get the latest Flash Player for Your browser/computer setup (care not to "accidentally" install Chrome).
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html -> get the latest standalone (does not require browser) player (scroll down to Standalone Player for Mac).

v.0.10
To download click:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5sxlfz
To view online click:
http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap10.swf (?code= + paste code)

Changes:
- Points spent and available now displayed in create unit panel, they will not block You spending more points than You have, but will notify by changing the font color to red.
- Units and Blockers are now unlimited, strictly counted (I was losing one unit per cycle) and on separate groups.
- Button gloss toned down :P
- Dark side is no more (though Vader still lurks in the code, ready to strike back).

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Hmmm, there seems to be some (minor) issues with the points allocation. Just pointing them out for you to quickly sweep:

Rank0 units are OK, cuz you actually cant change their stats!
Rank1,2,3 unit-stats all start at minimums, but the counter reads 10/1x (when it should read 0/1x)
Also, when changing a unit from R0->R1, the max-points allocated is not updated to 11. You have to raise the Rank manually, and decrease it, to get the max right.
That is also the case when changing back to R1->R0, i.e. the max-val should also be updated to 10.

So, what's for supper? The initiative thingy? :)

raven2134
04-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Maybe we should do away with the minimum stats? If we're using the app as a discussion and positioning tool, having stats below minimum is a way of showing damage on a unit to that extent. Does that make sense? It is a kind of screenshot substitute at times.

roder
04-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Cool App, appreciate the work!

Bertez
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Maybe we should do away with the minimum stats? If we're using the app as a discussion and positioning tool, having stats below minimum is a way of showing damage on a unit to that extent. Does that make sense? It is a kind of screenshot substitute at times.

Best of both worlds would be to have the minimum stats there as a default but not limit how they can be changed.

Rensei
04-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Hmmm, there seems to be some (minor) issues with the points allocation. Just pointing them out for you to quickly sweep:
My mistake, published older version. I think those are resolved already in current. Will publish later today.

With that in mind I left the option to type the numbers in manually, without initiating numbers check - You can still create a 99/99/99 archer, or create a unit bound by the rules and then manually reduce its stats.

Rensei
04-18-2013, 03:29 AM
V.0.12

To download click:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2jixvg (care for adds, use the "Click here to start download from sendspace")
To view online click:
http://rensei.webs.com/BannerMap12.swf (+ ?code= + paste code if You want it start with units form the code already in place)

Changes:
- Fixed the Skull of Removal.
- Using the knowledge gained from above, added the Circle of Retraining - drag a unit to top left corner to enter the edit screen, where You can change its stats/class. Once approved the edited unit will be transfered next to the "addunit" button, like a new unit would.
- Unit adding/editing stats should be all ok now. You guys owe me 300 renown I spent on training test units :P
- Added unit names (Unit+number) as a first step to initiative order, adding one unit will give it next number in line, deleting a unit will cause all units with numbers above it go one number down.

Since I am running out of space here I think there are two options for the initiative order
- a text bar on top mid with just the unit names in order (lowest number blue, lowest number red, next blue, next red...)
- or a small portraits bar on bot mid with.

Tinkering code for both, but I guess I'll go with the easier (first) option.

Also I am trying to make Flash ignore text fields on units - as You might have noticed only clicking on units portrait works for drag/drop. With the amount of text added on unit class it is getting harder and harder to actually move the human units. Tried covering it all with a big, transparent square and forcing the text fields to be inactive but with no success so far.

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 05:19 AM
Good, good. Its getting there, with the initiative-bar I mean. I don't really have a preference, although I'd instinctively liked to see it on the bottom-left, i.e. as in-game.

About drag/drop and clicking on portraits, I don't think its such a big issue. It's not like its too cramped, so I'd say "don't bother". You could spare the big-legend "Unit 1" and just go for "B1"/"R1" (for blue/red team) on some corner, or something. When you're done with the initiative bar, mimicking the actual in-game mode would be the best thing, i.e. placing a "glowing edge" on the acting-unit (or when selecting one from the initiative bar).

I'm hoping that you are planning to expand the grid-size (more squares, actually almost double), and that it would not pose big-big problems...

franknarf
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
A small UI suggestion: I'm too lazy to type in the numbers for unit stats. Either a mouse method or keyboard (up and down arrows) would be cool.

I don't know anything about flash, but maybe you can put a transparent/invisible image on top of the text?

For the initiative bar, maybe you could make the bar itself drag-and-droppable and rotatable (vertical or horizontal, up to six tiles depending on # units) so the user can put it where they want when preparing an image...? And then the user could drag it to your upper left editing button to go to a special screen for editing the initiative.

Rensei
04-18-2013, 03:50 PM
A small UI suggestion: I'm too lazy to type in the numbers for unit stats. Either a mouse method or keyboard (up and down arrows) would be cool.
It is already in?

Click the button representing the stat You want to change to increase the corresponding value by 1. Mouse over it and scroll up to increase or scroll down to decrease.
Changing stat like this is limited by units min/max stats so is basically disabled for a tier 0 unit. Higher tier units (click the unit portrait more than once to get them eg. one click on the Archer class will give You an Archer, second Bowmaster, third Siege Archer, fourth Skystriker, fifth Archer again and so the cycle goes) start at their minimums. The points at Your disposal are displayed over the OK button but will not restrict You if You want to spend more.
You can ignore all the restrictions by typing the values in.

Looks like its time for a manual :)

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3088/manual1s.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/manual1s.jpg/)

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2592/manual2t.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/manual2t.jpg/)

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Rensei, DaveMo is active again. Check out his thread (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1125-Factions-Battle-Planner-%28Build-Calculator%29). Says he's gonna work on the battle-planner these days, so perhaps you can get them two working together fast n easy!

franknarf
04-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Ah, I see. That makes sense. I had thought those buttons were broken because I was always trying them on the default guy who shows using the + button (who happens to be rank 0, and so shouldn't be adjusted anyway). Nice manual! :)

Rensei
04-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey! Going through the game files in steam folder I once saw a bunch of banners/ribbons in some graphical form. Can't seem to find them now though. Anyone else found them and can point me to them or was I just imagining things?

franknarf
04-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi, Rensei! If you mean the banners you've been putting text on, they're here: \Steam\steamapps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\town\strand

There are some hanging banners in the great hall and the tutorial version of it, too...probably not what you meant:
\Steam\steamapps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\battle\scene\greathall
\Steam\steamapps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\battle\scene\tutorial

Hmm, tried to write this a while ago. I guess the forum host is on the fritz today, eh.

Aleonymous
04-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Actually, the "\Steam\steamapps\common\the banner saga factions\assets\" folder is *loaded* with cool PNG artwork used in-game (character portraits in various size/color-variations, in-game maps, +++). Its not something you can't get w snapshots, but decently packed there is quite awesome! There's also some flash-animations accessible, e.g. pillage! battle! Forge-Ahead! etc.

Tirean
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Hello Rensei, nice little thing you have going here :)

I wonder if you plan on continuing this any further, I am currently looking for a way to show analyze of games played and so far this seems like one of the best options I can find so far :D

Some features id like to see (selfish person here :D:D) are

Actual map sizes from ingame
All current units
Editable stats by clicking on units.
Ability to undo what you just did

If those 4 things were added I could get some nice crude games shown on my screen :)

Wish I could code so I could help with this :(

franknarf
04-24-2013, 07:06 PM
@Tirean:

all units are in it; just click the base classes repeatedly.

stats can be edited by dragging a unit to the respec button in the upper left.

you can also remove units, coals and blockers by dragging them to the top right kill button.

Aleonymous
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
- Actual map sizes from ingame
- All current units
- Editable stats by clicking on units.
- Ability to undo what you just did

Yup. So, after Frank's clarifications, the only thing not currently available is the actual map-sizes from ingame. I hope Rensei will add that one soon too!

Rensei
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hr07pb remaking it all with a bit more proper code inside.
After looking at the insides of DaveMo's work I felt like a cavewoman banging the keyboard with a club :( Trying to make it a bit more programming and a bit less movieclip inside a movieclip inside a movieclip mess.
Also changed the unitclass design for future linking with his calculator.

Aleonymous
04-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Holy smokes! This looks like a whole new thing Rensei. I'm guessing its still a WIP (work in progress), but from aesthetic design it is starting to match the actual game :) Keep up posted!

Rensei
04-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Yeah, it's still work in progress but wanted to get Your guys feedback on it so far.
In plans:
- adding all 5 maps with accurate grid size
- mousing over unit will show edit and delete buttons for this unit
- mousing over unit will highlight it on the initiative bar (the animated circle)
- options screen where You can edit horn status, initiative order, and toggle the display of edit/delete buttons when mousing over
- load/save/snapshot funcionality

It is taking some time, but I think it is getting there. Suggestions always welcome.

raven2134
04-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Maybe a zoom in zoom out? I think someone was saying if we use a full map the numbers would become tiny.

netnazgul
04-27-2013, 02:10 AM
One quick issue report - when opening on 1280x1024 display, right buttons are not seen thus not accessible, so everything I see is this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59293229/Picz/bsf_applet.JPG

Also those buttons don't work, and I have no idea how to delete or restat existing units, would guess that is not implemented in this build right now :)

Rensei
04-27-2013, 04:10 AM
The above area is going to be all that You'll see in the final version.
The "skull", "angry guy" and "banners" buttons are not linked yet so I took em off the drawing board. You can only see them when viewing in a wide browser window.
Same goes for the initiative bar - it will be 12 spaces long but I will probably cut parts of it as the number of units drops (for now even the cutting function is not in, so the leftover part "sticks out" on wider resolutions).

I can hide them better if they bother You. Or publish the next version as an .exe (swf+built in swf player - didn't want to do that earlier as browsers do the job just fine and downloading .exe files from unknown sources is never a good practice ^_^).

I just wanted to check in with You guys to see if it's going in the right direction and avoid "design flaws" (I'm quite happy with it, but as its mommy shouldn't be allowed to judge ^_^).

raven2134
04-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Rensei...this is wonderful <3. It's looking real sharp. Incredibly cool stuff here.

Rensei
04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%202.swf
Small update - mousing over unit will increase its stat_shield size making it easier to read the current stats of human units. It will also reveal two small buttons - green angry guy for editing and red skull for removing the moused over unit.
Testing the edit functionality will be appreciated.

Now onto print screen, map selection and save/load. Nazgul has some wicked music choice on his stream :)

EDIT: Last picked up unit lands on top of the stack stopping all others from hiding parts of it.
Increased size to 1000x800px, all maps resized, adjusted and in app, but not yet available. The app has grown twice in size as a result :/ Some slower computers might have problems with it.

Zoom in - since it is a swf You can access the right-click functionality, zoom in/out amongst it. Hopefully the stat_shield growing in size will also help.

Rensei
04-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Latest version uploaded - options screen is in, adding horn status edit and map choice. All maps are in and the grid is drawn for each one excluding the blockers (You can still drag units onto the blank spots, or outside the map, if it is smaller than 16 tiles - I think I'll leave this one up to the user).

My brain almost fired and I lost few matches because I was counting the tiles instead of paying attention :]

franknarf
04-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Wow, it's looking really good!

I guess there's just the initiative bar and adding coals left now? Maybe you could also have one of the maps be a sandbox (like your old ones) with a plainer looking background and the ability to place blockers/posts (as before)? You might also want to set the default value for the horns to zero (not 6). It's already very useful as-is, though!

Do you know, when you zoom in, is there a way in Flash to pan around or do you just have to zoom out again?

Yth
04-29-2013, 03:58 AM
I encountered an amusing bug. When modifying the stats of some units (sometimes it takes several modifications), the base side of the unit changes. I have archers who take up 2x2 tiles, or Varl who shrink down to human size.

All in all though, this is an excellent tool and I am very excited to see the progress being made!

Rensei
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Yth! Looking into it.

Rensei
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf

The unit issue seems to be no more, managed to make the edit unit function work better while I was at it, please do test it (the edit screen should now properly inherit the stats and limitations of the selected unit). The shield should no longer stretch weird when the unit has taken some "damage".

Also... ZOOOOM! The 3 new buttons are: zoom in x 2, save the map area as image, zoom out. While zoomed You can use the standard gamers WASD to navigate around. You should not be able to drag the map outside its starting limiters. Please notify me if You managed to do that :)

The map and units are still active while zoomed - do You guys think I should leave it like that or disable them?

Aleonymous
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Hello again Rensei. No need to keep repeating how awesome this looks!

Love the in-game maps. You found the files inside the game-directory, right? There were some huge 10MB png ones, if I recall correctly. The IKEA wood survived as the panel background, eh? :)

The zoom works fine, for my taste. Leaving map&units active is, I guess, the preferred behavior.

Just some random stuff:

Edit-unit: The max-point distribution is still unbound, with the red-font-color indicating you've surpassed the limit. It doesn't hurt (nor add), just mentioning it.
Edit-unit: Perhaps some "live" adjusting of current STR/ARM/WP with mouse-over & mouse-wheel while on the map? I was thinking of something like what you've already done inside the edit-unit-UI, on the right panel. You know, e.g. when Stats-Banner is maximized, or by first clicking a unit and then doing the changes through the unit-details-panel on the bottom-right of the map-UI. This would make faster when reviewing possible battle moves/combinations.
Units can still be placed on "blockers", even tho the yellow-rectangle does not highlight them on mouse-over.
Overlay (Horn & Initiative). I guess this is not still implemented, just a placeholder, right?

raven2134
04-30-2013, 12:41 AM
:) Indeed this is amazing. Gonna review this in depth. I think we can get this featured on-site somehow, soon.

Edit: I LOVE IT <3.

Rensei
04-30-2013, 10:11 PM
http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf

Options screen now has two new buttons - starting player selection and toggle display of starting locations on all maps. Note that due button class limitations the checkboxes themselves are not clickable (same with text on the horn buttons on the same screen). Will probably have to create my own button class later on.
Also the player selection change only takes effect after the map has been changed or display locations turned off/on again. Before that, the display will assume the blue one is on top. This will be changed once I know where I want to use the starting player information (or never - this way it requires less operations).

Ikea sandbox map added :)

franknarf
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Well, that was fast. Looks great; nice lettering for Ikea!

Rensei
04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
For doodads I'm thinking I'll just throw the icons of buffs/debuffs, burned ground, fire and blocker together for the user to place at his will (the burned, fire and blocker will snap to grid, the icons will be up to the user). This should allow displaying more complex situations.

raven2134
04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Holy...even more sweet stuff?! WHAT SORCERY IS THIS? :p

Rensei
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Temporary save/load from file now in.

Current format looks like this:
"{type:U,u_type:14,u_owner:2,u_x:250,u_y:450,u_a:7, u_s:7,u_w:8,u_e:2,u_z:1,u_l:0,u_current_a:4,u_curr ent_s:5,u_current_w:3}"
and should be quite self explanatory (Unit, Strongarm, Red side, position, stats, current stats). Better not to mess with the files though - let the app do the work.
Will do more once I got that doodads (type:D) in.

Next version should be able to save the units and doodads.

Step after that should be base64 coding/decoding so I can finally work with DaveMo's format.

Rensei
05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Another update.
Go to DaveMo's battle planner (http://tbs-battle-planner.herokuapp.com/) and create Your team. Copy the whole link after. Open my app (http://rensei.webs.com/Banner%20Map%203.swf for online viewing or http://www.sendspace.com/file/zrssfx for direct download), go to the options page and paste the code into textbox named DaveMo import, click on one of the buttons below (the whole team will go either to the blue or red player, and be positioned in a line in his starting zone, clicking both buttons will create a mirror match versus the two players) and close the options. Et voilą !

The interface sucks balls, but the huge step has been made. I will probably put the whole thing under load battle button later on. This might be the last thing I do since I got only 9 days left on my flash trial.

Aleonymous
05-06-2013, 02:45 AM
This totally awesome feature eventually made it, eh? Great! :cool: Now battles are ready to be fought and emulated.

I'd suggest you focus your efforts on something more critical like the initiative-bar ("overlay"). Btw, a bug-report: I keep seeing these portraits (a raider and/or an archer) when I'm in the "Options" menu, or when "Overlay" is enabled. I'm sure this is some sort of left-over/to-do/bug thing related to initiative, right?

Be sure to save your source-code/project or whatever. I'm sure there's a way to keep working with Flash, assuming you're willing to and not too bored of this app! :p

Aleonymous
05-10-2013, 04:24 AM
As most of this thread has been about Rensei's excellent work, please continue posting in her dedicated thread (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1651-Banner-Map) (unless you have some competing/independent project going on :)).

Aleonymous
11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
. . . 17 months later . . .

I came back to reply to a demand I myself made more than a year ago :) So, here's a pre-alpha version of a project I recently undertook, trying to re-make TBS/F in a small lightweight Java program:

Aleo's TBSF JavaReMake (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99633386/TBSF/JavaProject/Aleo_TBSF_JavaReMake_v00p4.jar) (Dijkstra pathfinding algorithm, for 1x1 and 2x2 sized units, in a board with random blockers)

Instructions: Download this Java executable (.JAR) to your computer, and double-click to open it as a regular program. I believe you must have Java v8 (check your Java JRE version here: "Do I have Java?" (http://java.com/en/)) for that one to function, but I might compile it with b/w compatibility to v7 too. The rest is pretty self-explanatory: First you select if you wanna "be" a 1x1 (human) or 2x2 (Varl) sized unit, presented by a red (set of) tiles; black tiles are blockers, and click on blue/yellow tiles to move around until you reach the green tiles. Re-start the program to reseed the random blocker and victory-tile locations ;)

EDIT #1: The filename "Dijkstra" comes from the pathfinding algorithm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra) I used.
EDIT #2: This project is closely related to the one I started a while ago (check this thread (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1863-Towards-a-Factions-AI-Part-A-Simulator-for-Rank-0-units)) which was written in MATLAB, a not so end-user-friendly language :o
EDIT #3: Updated to latest version (which is not so recent, but still :p)

Aleonymous
01-12-2015, 04:18 AM
For anyone interested to take a look at my Java source code, here's the zip-exported NetBeans 8.0.1 project of "Aleo's TBSF JavaReMake" (https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rzd80jnbf4503p/Aleo_TBSF_JavaReMake_v06.zip?dl=0) (executable JAR file link can be found in the previous post). It's actually just one big java source file, along with some image files; the rest of the files and folders are NetBean's things. The code is fairly well commented, I think, but it needs extensive refactoring as it's a bit of a Frankenstein at the moment :o