PDA

View Full Version : If you want to cheat, read this forum

LEVEL 5 DWARF
04-07-2013, 01:38 PM
There should to be a better method than posting every bug in the game to this forum for people to exploit.

franknarf
04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
You already know about the email address. Were you unsatisfied with how the issue was dealt with last time (http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1478-game-changing-bug) or something?

I read this forum quite frequently and only know of one exploit, which can only be used in a quite obvious manner (setting oneself up for naming and shaming).

Most bugs in this forum are just plain old bugs, not inviting any particular exploits...

LEVEL 5 DWARF
04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
No, i'm satisfied and that is the point. Why have a forum to post exploits when you could have a confidential email instead? I've seen my bug posted here since then, now the alt-F4 one also, and since then out of 7 games today i've seen them used 5 times. Three days ago+ that percentage was vastly lower, typically once if not zero a day.

franknarf
04-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Oh, ok. Personally, I think this section is useful for the large number of non-exploitable bugs. Posting those here allows the community to help posters (by perhaps solving something that was not a bug or redirecting to earlier threads on the same topic) and the devs (who will have a lighter burden as the community helps out; and will have a better idea of what the most serious problems are based on what they, or the mods, see here).

The fact that there are two active exploits doesn't seem like grounds for shutting down the forum. :) There will always be the boards on Steam and elsewhere, and people will post their exploit reports to those places even if they're supposed to use the email list. Maybe Stoic should more strongly encourage that the email list is used when exploits are found or other possibly inflammatory material (like payment problems) arise. Or maybe they need more mods so they can delete threads highlighting exploits...dunno, but I'd like to see the bug forum kept up.

FYI, feedback on the website probably belongs in the "community support & feedback" section, so the mods might move this there.

LEVEL 5 DWARF
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I agree. I never requested the forum to be shutdown to be fair to myself.

netnazgul
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
No, i'm satisfied and that is the point. Why have a forum to post exploits when you could have a confidential email instead? I've seen my bug posted here since then, now the alt-F4 one also, and since then out of 7 games today i've seen them used 5 times. Three days ago+ that percentage was vastly lower, typically once if not zero a day.
I actually regreted posting alt-F4 exploit publicly after I had done it. I'm known of doing some reckless deeds I'm sorry for, that day was full of them. Definitely should have dropped another email. It just was that noone of devs was around in chatbox to draw their attention on that, and several people were complaining, so that thread came up.
Nevertheless it's now vastly more reported and overwatched by everyone and will be fixed [tomorrow].

sweetjer
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Starting a thread for an exploit that is both easy-to-use and delivers a large benefit like that (large if you like metrics more than reputation, I guess) is a bit like saying, "Devs fix this now! Cause now you have to!" Works for me but a bit of an arm-twister that one. That said, the important thing is that the bugs are known and being fixed. Making devs aware of issues with the game is a key part of what the forums are for. If you want to have some extra tact or prevent floodgates from opening and starting a state of emergency in Strand, sure, use community@stoicstudio.com or support@stoicstudio.com .. But I don't think we should fault people for wanting to improve the experience for everyone by illuminating problems. The important thing to realize is that the devs will fix it when a legit problem is reported. This isn't just a compendium of exploits. In many ways, it's a to-fix list.

Leartes
04-09-2013, 03:44 AM
By now I have accepted that rating and winrate will be reset sometime soon, so who cares about some stat-whores? If a tournament is won due to bug abuse, I'm confident stoic will not award the honors. It is fortunate they are so close to their community :)

LEVEL 5 DWARF
04-13-2013, 01:47 PM
This is a really defensive thread, first i was accused of wanting to shut the thread down and then sweetjr accuses me of wanting to fault peopel for posting here. The answer is simple, and i'm sorry if i didn't spell it out, if two methods exist for noting bugs; ffs make it clear in a sticky or whatever that they can email an exploit. If its just a general bug then this is the place for it. Also, if you want to compare other forums & games, then everquest and World of Warcraft both had exploit emails and i know for a fact in eq you were rewarded for it. To simplify it into a 'ah fuck it, its going ot happen and shame on those that use it' statement is silly when you already have the tools to avoid that.

Secondly, to respond to leartes, they did award the honors to the exploiters last week.

franknarf
04-13-2013, 03:02 PM
I entirely agree with your suggestion that the support email address be stickied along with an explanation of when to use it and when to use the forum. And just because the mods haven't got around to taking you up on that suggestion doesn't mean that they disagree. Heck, it took them weeks to split off the tactics forum.

There's no need to be defensive. I had misunderstood you because, well you know that the rhetorical question "Why have X?" usually means "Let's do away with X!", right?

sweetjer was just making a comment on the pros and cons of having threads (like nazgul's) where exploits are revealed; and Leartes is just saying that he finds the problem tolerable. Neither of those is really directed at you; it's not necessary that every reply in a thread be a reply directly to the OP... I don't think anyone is being unreasonable or hostile here...

I might disagree a little about whether Stoic has the resources and tools to respond to a flood of complaints about exploits (as Blizzard and whoever runs EQ can). On the other hand, if they were getting such a flood, that would be a wake-up call to deal with the issue, and they could always mass-reply once its resolved.

Rymdkejsaren
04-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Is it not better that potential exploits in the current build are widely known so that people may identify them when being used, rather than scratching their heads and wondering what happened?

Oh and hi, long time no post.