PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinding bug on Maliced unit ?

Butters
04-09-2013, 03:23 AM
I had a weird occurence with Malice today.
See this screenshot (taken after the fact) :
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540705296249780238/203F39212AB1D6BB3E5BB21D236B6BC36346B326/

His WH was adjacent to his BB and SA.
I maliced him with the PK that was unreachable without the use of wp.
Instead of going to the nearest square (around my BM and towards my SS), he actually ran in the exact opposite direction !? (result as on screenshot)
Which especially sucks considering I had a puncture-loaded RoA waiting for him on the path he was supposed to take. Or did I understand the Malice pathfinding wrong ?

Leartes
04-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Not sure how the malice pathing works, but walking closer to the pk, if that is possible, is desirable imo.

Rensei
04-09-2013, 03:41 AM
Totally unrelated - I LOVE the paintjob on Your units.

Butters
04-09-2013, 04:19 AM
I may or may not be engineering my builds around color patterns recently ^^;
2RM2SA2WM also makes a great all-white with the WM's hair complementing the SA orange cape nicely.
I wish tones would be a bit more consistent across units though. All use a different shade of white for example. What I really wish for is completely custom paint jobs in the weaver's hut, but that's not really a priority right now...

Leartes
04-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Can you change colors without promoting units? If not I vote for a 10 renown option to do that (like renaming).

Weavers hut is next up the list - probably sometime after saga though. (*my personal customization wish-list)

Butters
04-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Yes you can change color on the fly. No cost involved.

Rensei
04-09-2013, 05:44 AM
At the Proving Grounds (Barracks) select the unit You want to paint and click the Lore button (bottom middle). From here You can repaint (it costs 90 renown if You didn't buy the skins in the shop) or rename (10 renown).

No Leaf Clover
04-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Totally unrelated - I LOVE the paintjob on Your units.

I am desperatingly trying to find a good colour pattern for an army that's not going to be a loss-in-a-row maker. I was going for SA/BB/STRA, all x2, so they were all brown/blue. Great looking, but two STrA is just a no go.
I'm now on a reddish/orange thing, provided I have to buy the colours, that goes TH (red)/PK (red)/RM (orange)/WM 'orange)/SA (orange). I just have to try that roster before buying colours for the only sake of beauty.
Sorry if I drifted this a little further into off-topicness.

Arnie
04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
I had a weird occurence with Malice today.
See this screenshot (taken after the fact) :
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540705296249780238/203F39212AB1D6BB3E5BB21D236B6BC36346B326/

His WH was adjacent to his BB and SA.
I maliced him with the PK that was unreachable without the use of wp.
Instead of going to the nearest square (around my BM and towards my SS), he actually ran in the exact opposite direction !? (result as on screenshot)
Which especially sucks considering I had a puncture-loaded RoA waiting for him on the path he was supposed to take. Or did I understand the Malice pathfinding wrong ?

Very interesting. We'll look into this this week.

Butters
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Happened again today.
http://i.imgur.com/aaKwrIq.jpg
WL was directly behind the BM and was maliced from accross. I put my WH there to prevent him from crossing, expecting him to get closer behind my BB. What the WL did is, again, walk 4 tiles as far from the PK as he could. (screen above is the result).

I suppose it was not addressed in the last build ? Or is this expected behaviour ..? (doesn't seem right though)

AnotherPersona
04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
The reason he went backwards is 'cause that's the only available path to start to get to your provoker, it's easy to throw the paths of larger units. (think if you had control of that unit in it's exact position and wanted to move to strike your provoker, that's the path you'd have to try and take, but naturally you couldn't make it - this is in response to the second screen shot, the first doesn't make sense, for sure)

Butters
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Hmm, thanks, didn't think of it like that. It does make sense. Trace the shortest possible path the the unit and start walking that way.
(EDIT : reread you comment, it seems you're talking about the first occurence, in which case I don't think it makes sense - see below)

I think I'd like it better if the malice'd unit recognized that it can't get to the PK on the shortest path, so would instead choose a path that will actually lead him the closest to the PK. It would make much more sense to me.

Besides, this rule was not applied in the first example : a 5 tile path was available, and he chose to take a much longer one. Possibly there was a different issue there that was fixed in the latest build.

netnazgul
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
On the second occasion Malice worked correctly as I understand it :) I'd suggest to make maliced unit stand still if he can't reach PK in one turn. Although random movement anywhere on the map (as it is now :) ) also works quite interesting for both parties (you should carefully think of how your malice will effect the battlefield, the same with the Forge Ahead and turnqueue)