PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to find opponents closer to my level?

Lemm
04-13-2013, 04:03 AM
Really liked my first five or so games where we both were obviously beginners but now that I got a rank 6 team all I face are seasoned veterans with specialized squads (with custom colours) so they have played dozens and dozens of games and I end up being slaughtered every time. And it is rather frustrating (and likely so to my opponents also, since the games really aren't tense or interesting).

So, is there any way to find opponents closer to my experience level?

netnazgul
04-13-2013, 04:15 AM
When you play ranked, you get opponents based on your and opponent's overall rankings. Also your ranking is considered when matching in Quickmatch.

On a second thought, it is influenced also by current playercount. So if there are only "seasoned veterans" then that's what you will get matched with.

Lemm
04-13-2013, 07:56 AM
So I should play ranked until my rank goes down far enough to matched with other bad players?

raven2134
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Stay on quick match :)

franknarf
04-13-2013, 08:55 AM
As netnazgul said, there might not be enough new or "bad" players on, in which case you'd be having un-fun and burning your ranking down for nothing, y'know. Quick match should be a safe place to learn and it does match on skill as well as team power.

However, if you *want* to lose ranking really fast to investigate the matter :) , just surrender a bunch of ranked games. (No, really, don't do this, though.)

Bertez
04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Just keep playing ranked. You will lose a lot. Thats fine, it happens to everybody. Just try to learn what you can until you are playing with the other beginners and eventually you will get better. If you want a leg up this forum is filled with useful info and a handful of people also stream on twitch

thingdo
04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Just keep playing, you'll pick up tricks as you go. It can be useful to check out some streams as well. I've learned a few really useful things doing that.

Also, as you get more renown experiment with different unit compositions. You don't necessarily need to swap your whole team either. Just try teaming up 1 or 2 kinds of units, like a skystriker using its trap to help a warmaster advance safely, or a strong-arm to push a warhawk forward for better range.

Its worth it to experiment with different builds. Some will work out well, others not so much. I originally tried using backbiters to assassinate archers, but it didn't work out very well. Now I've been using a siege archer/bow master combo to lower armor and then shoot them from out of range and I've had more success.

Also, don't worry too much about the colors on units, it doesn't really indicate skill. It doesn't even necessarily indicate that they have played a lot, especially in the case of the cash only skins.

vrolok83
04-15-2013, 08:43 AM
try lowering your team power rating. playing rank 6 can be difficult for a beginner. replace a few units with new guys and don't promote them just because they attain 5 kills.

there is a huge curve between playing rank 5 and rank 6 in the game

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Hello Lemm.

Concerning Ranked-Games, please note that when the Match-Maker (MM) cannot promptly find an opponent near your ranking, then, it starts to "expand" the ranking-window it searches... This means that, if you're not matched in the first few (?) seconds, then there's a high probability that you'll be matched against players of different rankings (better or worse). So, I'd propose that, if MM takes long, then quit and go play a QM, then try again later.

*** It would be nice if Stoic could supply some demographics, e.g. a graph with the number of players currently at any given ranking-window (800-900,900-1000,...,1700-1800) or vs. the max-team-power they can get (1,2,...,6,...,18)

Vern
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM
On a related note, how do you see what rank your opponent is playing at? Is there a way to see without counting ranks of units?

Aleonymous
04-21-2013, 04:05 AM
On a related note, how do you see what rank your opponent is playing at? Is there a way to see without counting ranks of units?

Hello Vern. I'm afraid there currently isn't a way to tell; but, I believe Stoic have stated that they will put the unit-ranks on the matchmaker screen, a matter of time. Anyway, you can be sure that the opponent is +2/-2 from you power (max).