PDA

View Full Version : Fan Sites?

Kriegsturmer
04-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Has anyone started on a fan site yet? I'd really like to see a site dedicated to the game that has articles on strategies, player spotlights, videos with commentary and strategy tutorials, etc. I realize all of that stuff can be found here but a more friendly looking site with a Viking theme, and a e-zine look could be a great place to send potential new players to for quick access to the elements of the game that distinguish it from others.

I would love to create said site myself, but my web publishing skills are not anything to brag about. Though if I could find people who had talents in design, art, etc. were willing to collaborate, I would seriously consider it.

Other things that such a site could have: Player run tournaments, ladders and leagues.

So whaddya think?

Evil Laughter
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
I think this post covers pretty much everything you said about helping new players:
http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?868

I think this is pretty viking themed site.

Kriegsturmer
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm not dissing the current information available to us. But in my experience, many players have no desire whatsoever to touch anything resembling a forum. I don't know why that is but that's just what I've experienced. And the site wouldn't be so much as a replacement as an extension and portal to the information that already exists set in a more friendly format.

raven2134
04-15-2013, 09:59 AM
We have a wikidot too http://bannersaga.wikidot.com/

Also, while it's an idea...I don't see much of the point kriegsturmer. It's a lot of redudnant work for a site stoic already has with all the things you decribed.

Also need to think about the "returns" on the site. Would be great if we already had regular traffic in the hundreds, but while the site does get views, only a few participate.

franknarf
04-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Sure, set it up and start making some of that content! If you're enthusiastic about it, you might as well get to it; I doubt you'll be able to convince a web designer and/or host to join you before you've started something they find compelling. Maybe just start a Wordpress or something; it can always be customized or moved later...

Personally, I'm quite impressed with the stuff found on the forums. If you're the "ideas guy/gal" and not into either setting anything up or creating content :), probably Slimsy, netnazgul and others would let you borrow what they've made to get started.

EDIT re wikidot: There's a guides section (http://bannersaga.wikidot.com/guide-start) over there for articles on tactics and whatnot, but it's not really set up for blogging and I have no intention/desire to look into making the site prettier or better-themed. ;) (Although it does support blogging, I think Wordpress, et al might be more up your alley.)

Kriegsturmer
04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Again, I'm not disputing the value of the information found in these forums or the wikidot for that matter. But take for example any other major game, like WoW. Everything you need to know about the game can be found in the forums. And yet there are tons of well traveled sites dedicated to the game. But I understand the doubt expressed here. I'm going to take the plunge and start working on the site. It will not be a replacement for this one but I think I can come up with something cool. Luckily, I have a web guru friend who might help me design it. "Build it and (maybe) they will come."

raven2134
04-16-2013, 09:39 PM
I like that..."If you build it, they will come" may your wayne's world adventure bring us a horde :D

Aleonymous
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm going to take the plunge and start working on the site. [...] "Build it and they will come."

There's some initiative! :) Keep us posted on your progress Kriegsturmer.

I've been working a little on the wikidot site (under the guidance of Franknarf ;)), so perhaps we could profit from some fresh ideas on designing and "dissemination" of information!

Kriegsturmer
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
That would be cool. I'm not trying to replace any information. Just want to make something entertaining and informative as well as pointing people toward these forums and the wikidot. In fact, wikidot is a perfect example of what I'm talking about as far as multiple sites complementing, not replacing, each other. I guess my focus will be toward a more graphical presentation of some of the information found here, graphical signposts as it were. I'll keep you posted and see if I can get some kind of basic site going to show to a select few of you for opinions and recommendations.

Evil Laughter
04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Good luck, if you need someone to bounce ideas off of let me know.

Slimsy Platypus
04-17-2013, 08:43 PM
A while back I was thinking "I wish I knew how to make a website because there could be the most epic fan site for this". I've always dreamed of something similar to Magic the Gathering's "Daily MTG" site with the following as an example:

http://s23.postimg.org/4xo4z0t97/dream_website.jpg

Obviously something of this caliber would be a ton of work and upkeep, but we do have a ton of die-hards that frequent these forums. Perhaps one day (possibly starting with less daily and more weekly) something like this might get put together :)

raven2134
04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
I'll commit to being a regular contributor if it's low maintenance on my part. Can commit weekly.

Wiki editing is not my thing, though thankfully, franknarf and others have stepped up to the plate. Initially I was gona head over to see what I could do, but after they assimilated my guide, I was happy enough with that :).

A forum goer, dungeoncore, emailed stoic a while back who was interested in making something wiki-esque, though we already had the wiki-dot going and informed him. If/when this fan-site project takes shape, I can try contacting him to get on board, (maybe see if we can contact davemo too, seems he might have drifted off).

Some other forum goers, Kimberly and erom also showed interest while the community was working out it's wiki/wikidot/wikia preference.

We'll see how things go and try to activate the community.

*dungeoncore apparently gave stoic a crest uploading website tool before for stoic, but it hasn't been used cos Stoic will do crest uploading from the game (eventually).

*davemo is the author of our existing battleplanner

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 05:10 AM
As a personal statement, I generally distaste sites with advertisements :mad:. Its mostly aesthetic, but its such a major factor for me, that I almost totally avoid them (given the option, or not). That's why I opted to help a bit on the wikidot site (as opposed to the wikia one). Dunno how much that affects your reasons for visiting/avoiding a website...

SeraphimLoki
05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
@Slimsy Platypus
To be honest im planning to do such a thing but as a father of two working man ill propably wont have that much time to up-date it :(. I got the "base site" and stuff, just need some time to finish it.

Anyway, no sure if its worth it since everything is on Youtube/Facebook/Forums/Wiki...
Thats my biggest problem with getting motivation. Why even try if its already there on "white/blue colored sites"

Rensei
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
This community is very supportive when it comes to any Saga-related activity :)

Your advantage over all those wikias is the ability to customize and make it much, much better looking (and have less/better hidden or no adds).