PDA

View Full Version : Which unit to pick over the other

roder
04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Been thinking of new setups, and was wondering what the benefits of choosing, say, one archer over the other in my setup. Thought it'd be good to hear everyone's ideas on which promotion to choose in each team comp.

For e.g., most trouble I have of choosing between units to put in my team would be:

(2)Thrasher vs (2)Backbiter

(1)Bowmaster vs (1)SiegeArcher

(2)Shieldmaster vs (2)Strongarm

(1)Warhawk vs (1)Warmaster

In the first case, Thrasher seems to do more health damage and stay alive longer, while Backbiter deals armor/health damage, kills weak enemies but dies quicker too. Also, backbiter is one of the easiest to maim, while Thrasher is still useful at 1hp. I don't know which one I like better so I usu alternate between them 50% of the time. Thrasher seems more conservative while BB is for more aggressive team setups.

Second case, they both do decent armor break, but bowmaster can deal puncture from 7 tiles away, but Siegearcher is harder to maim because of her ability. Siege archer better for teams that focus on concentrated battles while BM better for long skirmishes spread out? (not sure on this one)

Third case, Shieldmaster deals better break and passive damage, but Strongarm has better tank (armor/hp) stats. Id say Strongarm is better for turtle setups defending vs rushes, while Shieldmaster is good for leading a rush and trying to take hits.

Fourth case, both are good aoe damage, just situational. Seen both used effectively, Warhawk is definitely for more aggressive playstyle, while Warleader sort of slowly comes from the flank.

QuatrolL
04-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Whether or not you should choose one unit promotion over another depends on what role you want that unit to fill in your team. What roles these units fill is based upon their stats and the other members of your team. For example, a Bowmaster can be an excellent breaker with 2 natural armor break and 3 exertion, but it can also function as a late-game sniper by using its ability, Bird of Prey. If you already have 2 or 3 breakers on your team, then the go to choice for a bowmaster would be sniper.

Of course, some units fill roles better than others. In the Thrasher vs. Backbiter, Thrashers are better hitters because of their higher strength cap while Backbiters make better breakers because of their ability and the fact that they do not have to invest as many stat points to meet their strength cap. Thrashers can still be a threat when maimed, but the backbiter is a better "bait" unit since it can be easily maimed and overextended (i.e it moves to far away to get support from the rest of your team).

For the rest of the units in question:

Bowmasters can be a late-game sniper or an early game breaker, but Siege archers excel at front-line breaking with their ability

Shieldmasters are better breakers because of their ability, but Strongarms are excellent tanks because of their higher strength.

Warmaster vs Warhawk is a difficult comparison, as they are so similar. Warhawks, however, benefit more from excellent positioning, while Warmasters are better late game sweepers because of their effectiveness while maimed.

Hope this helped. If you want more information, check out the guide library http://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?1549-Fan-made-Guides-(A-library-and-submission-area-duplicate)

Kletian999
04-17-2013, 08:52 PM
1. Backbiters are better breakers than Thrashers, so they aren't useless when maimed either. As long as you don't get your backbiter stranded in the back lines too soon (I try to use him to kill my enemy frontline units) he'll serve you well. Thrashers are a more consistant performance- they might not change the game with a good move, but are less likely to make bad moves.

2. Bowmaster if your team has lots of good break already, and/or you feel weak against archers and want an archer killer. Siege archer if you need break and feel weak fighting Varls.

3. Shieldmaster if you want lots of break. Storgnarm if you have other breakers and the tactics the push power brings.

4. Warhawk hitting two targets for 5+ damage is often a game winning move, compared to a Warmaster one shotting one unit. But on the flipside, Warhawk becomes near usless when injured while Warmaster churns out Sundering hits even maimed.

You'll need to decide whether your team need more break vs more Str damage, or a safe unit vs a powerful yet risky one.

Aleonymous
04-18-2013, 02:59 AM
Why did you leave the Raidmasters out of your (1) option? Stat-wise they are (almost?) equivalent to Thrashers, and I personally like their ability more. Used as front-liners, they can either break, or stonewall thus placing thorns in your opponents deployment. imo, thrashers are better suited for back-liners, damage-dealers, our-riders or late-game maimers.

roder
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Why did you leave the Raidmasters out of your (1) option? Stat-wise they are (almost?) equivalent to Thrashers, and I personally like their ability more. Used as front-liners, they can either break, or stonewall thus placing thorns in your opponents deployment. imo, thrashers are better suited for back-liners, damage-dealers, our-riders or late-game maimers.

Well I already have a RM in my team lineup, the other slot would be left to a damage dealer which would be either BB or TH.