PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Tactics Arena (Online)?

roder
04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Was an old TBS game I used to play everyday, there were some similarities to this game which is why I decided to start playing this game. Just wondering if anyone stumbled upon this game before

Aleonymous
04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Interesting. I've never played the game, nor heard of it. I can see the similarities though. Is it free-to-play? Perhaps its worth a little investigation; it could give ideas and all.

http://www.tacticsarena.com/

roder
04-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Interesting. I've never played the game, nor heard of it. I can see the similarities though. Is it free-to-play? Perhaps its worth a little investigation; it could give ideas and all.

There were some similiarities, armor and strength and miss chance. But a lot of differences, like healing and you could use any of your units on a turn. The one thing I hate about this game is turn advantage, when you kill an opponent you're giving them turn advantage as opposed to you getting a benefit to killing something lol I guess it adds more strategy but its very counterintuitive

Aleonymous
04-23-2013, 03:43 AM
I agree with you. I guess this is a "hard" design-choice Stoic has made, perhaps in order to differentiate their gameplay. I'm not sure if it is for better or for worse, but, as you say, (a) it is counter-intuitive and (b) it requires for different strategy. Perhaps its just an effort to balance the Strength={Damage & Health} mechanic, another design-choice...

franknarf
04-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Nope, haven't heard of it.

I think alternating turns are in so that you don't have to wait around while your opponent moves; and also because it's an interesting mechanic that hasn't been explored in this way before.

Take-turns-moving-everyone (as in Advance Wars or Wesnoth) has this problem of waiting around. And in MP versus, this mechanic also means somebody has to (i) wait around and (ii) watch their team get crushed. That means a lot more surrenders/quits, and less exploration of the endgame, I expect.

Simultaneously-move-everyone (like frozen synapse) is one approach that might be better. Another is to ask the player to have almost RTS-like speed and yet keep the game turn-based (bang! howdy did this, having a clock that "ticks" about once per second and units who can move after four ticks of rest).

Anyway, I wish I'd known about tactics arena back when it was active. It looks like my kind of game from the screenshots.