PDA

View Full Version : RoA, small advice for streamers

SeraphimLoki
05-02-2013, 03:44 AM
It was funny (at the beggining) to watch you guys count five squers from an archer each time she places an arrow on the ground. Some already figured this out some apparently didnt, so i will make it easier for you. The second "yellow squere" is her RoA range. Goodluck stop counting cuz it's silly.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8554/8700466665_9e93796bd4_c.jpg

Yth
05-02-2013, 05:29 AM
Just to note, not all archers have 2 exertion (which is pictured here), and also the movement overlay is blocked by units/enemies, and therefore does not show the full area of possibilities for an arrow trap.

That said, it is very important to get a fast gut feeling of an archer's range, so that you can quickly tell if you are stepping into their puncture range or not. I also find it faster to count ranges in 2s, especially when counting diagonal distance.

Aleonymous
05-02-2013, 05:44 AM
EDIT: Yth got me! ;)

Useful observation, Loki, and not only for streamers. Unfortunately, its only valid in particular situations:
(1) When the SS's Exertion is equal to 2.
(2) When the yellow-tiles (and, generally, the map) is unoccupied.

I'm afraid, I keep counting using my fingers for SSs as well as BMs... It's a pain! :)

Rensei
05-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Hi Loki, You are on step two, they are on step three.

Looking at the grid works great only when there aren't too many units limiting/altering the SS movement, she has only 2 exertion and required willpower.

They are counting because they already discovered that, stopped counting, then discovered how deceptive it can be and started counting again. Those who don't... it's quite possible they can already precisely tell the distance just by looking at it.

Scary bunch them streamers.

SeraphimLoki
05-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Guess it's more personal, some rather count and some, like myself, dont. Still..
Count two from blue squers, fasters then counting five from the archers, if 3 exertion take the middle one. Still easier then counting 5. If it's blocked, it's blocked by units so no arrow under the units. And for most of the time you have atleast one straight line free so just point your mouse cursor to the end of the range and "draw" a line with your cursor.
Something like that (quick paint edit sorry O_o)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8275/8700727447_30e27b6e96_c.jpg

So no Rensei im not on step two and they are not on step three

Yth
05-02-2013, 08:12 AM
I have the best success counting by twos with my fingers hovering over the screen: I use my left hand while my right stays on the mouse. This was especially needed while I was running a 3x BM build. Once you have a square 5, 7, or 8 (lvl 2 BM range) away, "slicing" with the fingers or mouse pointer works well to see the whole zone of threat.

KamikazeDurrrp
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Lol this reminds me of how I figured out a fast way to calculate BoP with BM. All I basically did was activate BoP, count how many squares I still needed to go, and then move the appropriate number of spaces to get in range, as opposed to literally counting all the spaces by hand :eek:

Evil Laughter
05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Something I do sometimes to check range for all archer powers is to just see where they would be able to hit (the little number underneath is quite helpful actually).

netnazgul
05-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Concerning the tile counting (yay, it's like dreaded pixel hunting here :) ) I've also come to count varl movement in 2x2 squares as it's 2 times faster and easier to do.

And you still NEED to count distant tiles for RoA and BoP, but you also MUST remember your countings/calculations/observations for the duration of that ability - I've forgotten to account for that twice yesterday in one match.

PS: Yeah, counting diagonal tiles helps a lot also

SeraphimLoki
05-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Uhm. Funny things, just played my first two games today and i cough myself counting O_o. Guess i have to take everything back.

But still worth to know her range, right? :)

Big Sorry from me guys.

Slimsy Platypus
05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Because of aspects like (for example) moving a Bowmaster then considering their higher Rank active ability ranges (among others: Backbiter ranges, Malice range, etc.) I've sort of trained myself to always count, so that's simply what I go to by default. If you can train yourself to quickly use the grid as a reference I think that works great, but of course it's personal preference.

In the end of the day as long as you can make your decisions correctly and quickly either way can work. From watching other people's streams I've found some people think of far less information when making decisions than others, and there doesn't seem to be a distinct correlation between the hard numbers you know are coming and how good you are. I guess at the end of the day, the net amount of better decisions wins out! Interesting thread for sure :)