PDA

View Full Version : Is the game still bad?

Cyten
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I was looking forward to this game because I like turn-based strategies, however there are no factions of any kind in this game, playing against exactly the same units was quite idiotic so I uninstalled it.

Especially after coming from Might & Magic Heroes 6 with a wide range of factions, units and strategies, is this game still very poor and bare bones?

Also why is it called factions when there are no factions in it at all?

Aleonymous
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
This is not the very best opening for a thread now, is it :( ? That said, and assuming that most people frequenting these forums either enjoy the game or have positive feelings/expectations about it, what sort of responses are you expecting :confused:...

To address your questions:

The game is (still) good; and that is just my opinion about it.
The game is not as "bare-bones" as it was during its launch. When did you last play it? Presently, the achievements and renown-system are fully-functional, all four base-classes have three sub-types where all promoted rank-levels are available. Also, there's now many more team-combinations to use, and special abilities to experiment on.
However, the community is not growing as fast/much as you would like, but it's always possible to get good opponents at most times (especially if you are American or European). Making friends with the forum-regulars is also a great way to better enjoy your time with the game.
The game is called Factions because it's supposed to be about fights erupting between denizes in the city of Strand. When the single-game is launch, more features Lore-wise related to these "fractures" will be introduced to the multi-player game. I'm speculating here, but I believe that you will be truly able to register yourself with a "Faction", customize your banners & guilds etc. Perhaps the older forum members can be more specific on these.

Kletian999
05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Indeed, the factions as of now is "You, with the backing of the Governor" and "Everyone else (also backed by the Governor, that sly dog". I heard 2 vs 2 games are on the horizon, but I doubt player accounts would actually "affiliate" to sides which would reduce the number of eligible opponents you'd have.

In a few month, the available classes are supposedly going to double. What the game is now is the free opportunity to have some cerebral competition with fellow Tactic RPG fans while you wait for the campaign to finish. If that doesn't interest you, then just wait for the Full Saga game to be released without resorting to denigration.

Cyten
05-10-2013, 10:56 AM
So, there will be just one race/faction and that's it?

You will always have to fight against exactly the same units as your own??

This is some serious design flaw!
Have these people never heard of Might&Magic series or King's bounty, and just this month another race was released for MMH6!

Shiri
05-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Have these people never heard of Might&Magic series or King's bounty, and just this month another race was released for MMH6!

I don't think you've really thought this out. All adding that kind of "faction" into this game would do is restrict it, not open up options. If you had three sides - for example, a side with only thrashers, bowmasters, strongarms and warhawks, but no other units - then you'd have a vanishingly small possible team composition variety compared to right now, where you can pick any combination of all the units. As more units get added this will only increase.

Teams are still dramatically asymmetrical, and unlike games like HoMM units are designed to be modular, so you're playing with units rather than sides. So it's actually an advantage, not a problem. I guess the devs could provide cookie cutter builds with associated colour variations or something but it's really not that important to provide limitations like that when the players can just do it themselves.

hreinnbeno
05-10-2013, 11:10 AM

I have played loads of matches and I honestly think I have never competed against the same units. As you can pick 6 units of 40 units (now but will be more in the future, I count ranks as well as that matters greatly) and can stat them yourself (with limitations) and people usually stat them differently. Initiation is as well something that you choose that affects the outcome and how you place them on the field. If you would want your opponent to have completely different units (all units different) than there are loads of those kind of games.

raven2134
05-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I think it's safe to say the approach TBSF takes is different from MMH :). It's also a lot harder to balance unique factions/races, than to go with the kind of deck building approach in TBSF right now.

In the future, there's a good possibility that "factional" play will be present, in the form of "guild" conflicts...which are well..."faction" conflicts and not guild conflicts. At least that's what the devs have sounded off on. But that's still some ways away.

netnazgul
05-10-2013, 11:20 AM

why even compare this tactical chess-like game with some filth that discredits the honorable name, if you excuse me? :) HoMM series is long dead from what it was in HoMM 1/2/3 (I'd add HoMM4, but this is where the fanbase has split in opinions).

Returning to our "no factions" issue - there are tons of games who don't have any race/factions variety in them, and this doesn't make them bad ones. TBSF is one of those games. Even the same setups with identical stats can be played (and are played) differently by different players. And this game is by no means about having a variety of races one per each player, but is about trying to use the same force as your opponent has and beat him with a pure skill superiority using it.

I have an auto-thought of persons not having enough intellectual basis when they say "this game is not %GAME_NAME%, please do everything here just as %GAME_NAME% has, otherwise this game is a shitpile" without backing this statement with something more weighted than an empty whine.

Don't ever try playing chess or checkers or Go if you are scared to fight against exactly the same units as your own ;)

Cyten
05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't know wth are you talking about MMH6, is outstanding in every possible way, sure it had lots of bugs but most were fixed.

Also, best animations ever in the series (http://www.puppetworks.eu/#/work/might-and-magic-heroes-6/ingame-animation-reel).

Rensei
05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, I guess we better notify Chess and Go developers :P

Also - HoMM ended with number 3.

loveboof
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I was looking forward to this game because I like turn-based strategies, however there are no factions of any kind in this game, playing against exactly the same units was quite idiotic so I uninstalled it.

Also why is it called factions when there are no factions in it at all?
I can only assume that you have just played a few matches with the very basic starter units. Therefore, you were too impatient to see the variance in units as they level up.

It is mainly called 'TBS: Factions' to draw a distinction between this free multiplayer version of the game and 'The Banner Saga', which is not out yet.

At the moment there are two 'races' (by which I mean species) - the Varl and Humans. There have been other races confirmed for the game, such as Centaurs and the Dredge etc (the Dredge are possibly not playable, but Centaurs will probably find their way into Factions eventually).

It is possible to meet a team with your exact build, but what is wrong with that? A pure test of skill - that should appeal to a person who apparently likes strategy games...

From the other things you have said, it sounds like you will much prefer the actual single player game when it is released, rather than this free multiplayer taster.

franknarf
05-10-2013, 08:58 PM
"Serious design flaw", eh? That's cute. :)

Not every game needs to have every feature you've ever seen before, you know. I love (early) HOMM, but enjoy plenty of games that don't have factions/races that limit unit combos. You probably also can guess that plenty of folks come through saying "Terrain doesn't give stat advantages and disadvantages. That's a serious design flaw!" or similar.

Okay, now that I've glanced elsewhere in the thread, I see that net said pretty much the same thing. Oh well, now you hear it from me too!

netnazgul
05-11-2013, 08:07 AM
I don't know wth are you talking about MMH6, is outstanding in every possible way, sure it had lots of bugs but most were fixed.

Also, best animations ever in the series (http://www.puppetworks.eu/#/work/might-and-magic-heroes-6/ingame-animation-reel).
Can you at least say what does HoMM have to do with Factions? These games are like totally different.

WildKun
05-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I like turn-based strategies

Especially after coming from Might & Magic Heroes 6
new generation :)

SiberianOrc
05-11-2013, 11:38 AM
HOMM tactic to win: gain bigger forces than your enemy.
TBSF tactic to win: be smarter and luckier than your enemy.

Impaler
05-14-2013, 09:00 PM
TBSF tactic to win: be smarter and luckier than your enemy.

Such a sad truth.

I thought about reinstalling this game the other day, but I ended up downloading a Random Number Generator instead and played "guess the outcome". It was very intense and my imaginary opponent had great comeback potential. Also, it wasn't at all as deterministic as predicting the next number on my digital watch.

Butters
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Lawl.

I kinda missed you.
Thanks for the laugh :)

loveboof
05-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Such a sad truth.

No, the sad truth is you're just another internet troll. It is always so pathetic! Do you really have nothing better to do with your time than attempt to wind up anonymous people on the internet?

We're all on this forum because we think the game is good, which means that our time here is spent engaging with like minded people from around the world. You are only here to interfere with that. Like a tragic little child, craving attention...

franknarf
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey now, Impaler is our resident troll, and besides, he politely stays under the bridge until someone else brings up luck/randomness. :)

Butters
05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
True. Factions really has the best community ever : even our trolls are well-mannered ! :D

Impaler
07-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Hai. Just checking back in to see if this game's still a glorified version of Rock/Paper/Scissor

raven2134
07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Never was :). So no idea what your referring to.

Tirean
07-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Its obvious why it's rock paper scissors Raven!

If I get someone I can't beat. He was rock to my scissors. If I get someone I can beat I was paper to his rock! How haven't you noticed that? Duh?!

Slimpy
07-12-2013, 02:52 AM
I love factions - but kinda agree with the luck thing. Not that I've ever felt it's had too big an effect on most matches. It is irritating to have a low str high armour unit killed with full armour though...

p.s. resident troll makes impaler sound kinda cute - kinda like a house elf! (tho I'm most definitely not a Potter fan.

paulthebaker
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Just checking back in to see if this game's still a glorified version of Rock/Paper/Scissor

Rock/Paper/Scissors is a game of incredible strategy and skill, rewarding only those with superior resolve under pressure.

So no, neither TBS or HoMM will ever compare to the true, unadulterated glory of RPS!

Impaler
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/252/9/1/good_troll__by_lemondrops15-d5e72uu.jpg

Fair enough. Always a pleasure, you guys.

netnazgul
07-14-2013, 05:03 AM
who trolls the trolls

roder
07-15-2013, 12:12 AM
i think this thread should be sent to the cesspool (the category that forums have where the spam/troll threads goes)

raven2134
07-15-2013, 10:14 PM
We have a hidden area like that?

roder
07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Haha nope, I don't think so, but a lot of internet forums Ive been to have that discard forums.