PDA

View Full Version : A mini game while we wait!

AnotherPersona
05-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Boldbrendan (Slimsy) Had the idea of where the 'eye' is while you're searching for matches, if it had an animation, as if they were traveling and searching (for a battle or what-not). And I thought: that would be so awesome if it incorporated a tiny and simple 'point & click' type of mini game. Just something neat to pass the time for the sometimes extreme wait times (especially w/the tourney). So yea!

Tirean
05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
go play winterbells!

AnotherPersona
05-11-2013, 03:51 PM
After watching you play that for a minute.. I was so drained. No thanks. ^^

roder
05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
wouldnt mind that, but if the mini-game is too good, i might get annoyed if it is interrupted by finding a match. haha

AnotherPersona
05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Right Rod? It'd be kewl, if you were doing well in the mini game when you found a match, it'd give you like, one renown boost or somethin'. Just a little icing on the cake. :)

Slimsy Platypus
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Ha! When I first was thinking of this additional little animation (as Another Persona mentioned above), I was sitting in queue wondering "what do you think my band of Vikings is doing right now?". Well, they're walking around Strand looking for a fight! Then the travel image popped in my head:

http://s22.postimg.org/6fa1u3rtt/Saga_landscape_1.jpg

...and I go on to think: what if we had this view (but only our six dudes rather than a big caravan... or maybe even the number of units in our proving ground) while the gang is walking around Strand looking for a scrap! Obviously it would be work, but it would be so cool! I think being able to see the gang of Vikings we've rallied would be rewarding. All this action could be going on right behind the existing Banner and team roster we see now.

Alright now to get back on topic here. Games like Fifa allow you to shoot free kicks while loading. Maybe we could get something like that. I imagine taking control of those guys training at the proving grounds and having some type of mini game where you simply have to time a click to hit an archery or axe target. Even better... YOU UNLOCK THEM in some type of future content that comes along with the "city building"!!! That way Stoic kills two birds with one stone :)

Obviously it's just a far off fantasy idea by my non-creative brain, but it's certainly fun to discuss!

Butters
05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
I LOVE this idea Slimsy (the first one).

Since I assume a very similar travel screen will be done for Saga proper, I doubt it would be too much work to implement in Factions actually. Way to bring what shapes up to beone of the most visually attractive aspects of Saga into Factions. I'd stare at that screen for half an hour with a smile !
Stoic, listen to this man ! :)

roder
05-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Yeah I really like the travelling band animation idea.

raven2134
05-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Cool ideas. Travelling animation would be real cool :). Of course Stoic has to actually finish that travel mechanic with all the shiny bells and whistles too :p. I wonder how it could be made interactive without being too immersive hmm...

Arnie
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Very cool idea Slimsy. It's a cool stretch goal for the future.

Orath89
05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Another thing that I'd like to see, in order to cover the load screen before a match, is a sort of staring contest still image where you may see your and your enemy's units (instead of that 10 seconds and then loading screen).
This could help people that have really long que time and may go afk and do something else, and also be a good "ending" for the previous animation Slimsy was talking about (something like "AH, Now we found somebody brave enough to face us. Prepare to fight!").

roder
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
@Orath, sort of like the starting animations for most fighting games (street fighter) right haha sounds cool

What I also wouldnt mind in queueing screen is what an indicator of what powers are being searched at the moment. that would help a lot with faster queues ppl just searching each other out

Orath89
05-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Rodereve, that's exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately I don't have the gift of synthesis so I need to rant for an hour straight to express a concept. :)