PDA

View Full Version : suggestion: Request for manual matchmaker option

h44
05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
I have no idea where suggestions go and will just post here. Anyway, often times I see people complaining about not being able to find a match. While I have no numbers to back it up, I feel that this is due to having a small player pool that makes the matchmaker somewhat ineffectve. A solution to this is to allow manual matchmaking among the players currently online. It can be contacts/friendslist looking thing with something like this:

<status> <playername> <party level> <elo>

for all of the players online.

Where status is:
idle (yellow)
ingame (red)
looking for unrated game (green)
looking for rated game (blue--maybe only show elo for people in this group)

So basically players look at the list and see someone that they feel would be a good match for them. We then click on that players name to send a challenge request. The guy who is waiting for challenge sees the name/power level/elo of the challenger and decides to accept or not.

I think this would work out because this allows players to see what power levels are being searched for an adjust their party to match. It also allows players to accept handicaps when few players are online, instead of waiting for the matchmaker to broaden the search. On somewhat of a tangent, it would also be nice to be able to right click the people who are ingame and spectate while waiting for a match.

Rensei
05-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Steam has that already. It would be great to be able to go around it (not forcing to befriend people on Steam, where they can see what You are doing outside the game), like right-clicking on the name in chat and having an "invite to friendly" option, but still - it's there.

h44
05-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes i know this is there already using steam system, but i mean the equivalent for all currently online players. With steam adding its leveling system and limitation on friends list, its even more preferable to avoid cluttering that up.

raven2134
05-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Good suggestion. This is a lot more complicated than it seems though.

I'm not tech dude but I imagine that you need to query the database to pull all that information. I think it would also require re-adapting what the friend matches do. Online players also aren't displayed inentionally, to avoid the vicious cycle of even less people staying online if few people are on.

This is basically what Matchmaker does also. Same as if this was in place, you likely wouldn't find a match this way if the other person was already battling. I do agree it would be better if friend/arranged matches could be done without relying on the steam friend list only. Like inviting a specific user for a session

I also like the idea of showing which team powers are "hot" or in the queue

roder
05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Sounds good, if they can just take the friend match challenge system and implement it so you can take challenges from anyone, I wouldnt mind that. I think that challenge system requires your profile to be fully public anyway, so it wouldnt really require the friend list.

Butters
05-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes, I would appreciate a "challenge" option which could send an invite to any player by username - not only friends. Unfortunately that would need to have the same renown restrictions than friend matches to avoid exploiting.
As a first implementation, a text field to manually enter a player handle in the friend match invite screen would work.
"Challenging" to a ranked match would be a nice option too, although with the low amount of players playing ranked these days, we can do without.

h44
05-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Online players also aren't displayed inentionally, to avoid the vicious cycle of even less people staying online if few people are on.

I don't think this vicious cycle is that big of a deal for a niche game like this. A small player pool is fine for a game that is about 1v1, no different than having a small number of players waiting in an online chess lobby. As an example, here is a screenshot I took just now of Spectromancer's lobby, a 2008 game. Even though there are maybe 20ish people in this channel, players are able to pair up and find duels. I annotated it since I am not sure how much of it is clear just by looking:

http://disasterzone.net/~h4ngedm4n/images/spectro_lobby.jpg

In the case of banner saga, we need team power level as well as some indicator of player skill level. The autosearch button does the same thing as matchmaker in Banner Saga. So players can choose to send manual challenge, or autosearch to let the matchmaker figure it out.

Aleonymous
05-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Good suggestion.

This type of Matchmaker (MM) functionality has been asked for several times in these forums. E.g., some sort of "expected wait-time" or other indications (number of users in-game, at each power-level, queue-sizes etc). Your suggestion goes one step beyond that, and as Raven points out, I believe it would be kind-of a big change from how the MM currently works. Butters' point about exploitation is also to be taken seriously.

I believe Stoic will not try to change that just now, due to other priorities, unless the problem gets more serious. But feat not, because:

The Renown-deflation policies employed in the last builds (promotion costs reduces, more renown per-win, more renown for Rally, marketplace renown-cost etc) indicate that Stoic are trying to get everybody fast in the power-12 range, and keep them there; that is going to make MM faster for everyone by reducing the power-disparity currently associated with delays.
As the single-player "Saga" approaches, the player-inflow is bound to increase, something that will also limit the problems.