PDA

View Full Version : UI suggestion for Tempest

Butters
05-26-2013, 02:37 PM
I think the UI for Tempest targeting could be a bit more clear.
There are still quite a few people confused by it and asking about it in chat.
The targeted units have the filled purple squares, but the other targets still have the same glowing/pulsating purple outline as before choosing targets. These tiles actually stand out a bit more, visually.
My suggestion is, after targets are selected, remove the outlines from the units that are not targeted. And maybe make the selected targets stand out a bit more (purple squares filled AND pulsating ?). That may avoid some confusions.

Aleonymous
05-26-2013, 03:36 PM
I agree; this would help new players identify its mechanics faster! Actually, a consistency-sweep across some other active abilities for this sort of minor issues, for example:

BoP --- It's a little weird that it shows damage (+puncture) after you click on a target. Simple archer-shots show damage dealt on moused-over units directly; why not BoP?
SnB --- It could highlight the 5-tile "cross" to be damaged (as well as "candidate coal-tiles"?) after selecting a target-tile.

InfiniteNutshell
05-26-2013, 11:37 PM
I thought Bird of Prey already did what you suggest Aleonymous? Not going to load up the game to check right now, but I think if you have the ability selected it will give you mouseover damage. Or am I imagining stuff that isn't there due to not having played in a week or two...

Do any of the active abilities give you mouseover damage? They probably all should.

Anyway the problem I see with removing the unfilled purple squares for Tempest is that there is then no indicator of how you could change your selection. But I agree that it would be nice for the filled purple squares to stand out a bit more.

Aleonymous
05-27-2013, 01:40 AM
I think if you have the ability selected it will give you mouseover damage.

I'm pretty sure that, when you activate BoP, it just shows you tile-range covered in purple. Mouse over does nothing, and then you have to actually click on a target-unit to see the damage (and one last click to confirm the shot), For example check ojustme's stream (http://www.twitch.tv/ojustme/b/408268098) (at 12m55s).

SeraphimLoki
05-27-2013, 12:30 PM
This idea is terribly bad. If tempest UI will change ill have one less reason to laugh about:(