PDA

View Full Version : What are some cool things our caravans might encounter?!

Slimsy Platypus
05-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Now, we know the gods have bailed and the ancient dredge have made some type of reappearance in our Viking laden world. If it's not the dredge we're running from, it's some equally terrifying... thing that has driven us from our homes and onto the open road.

With that being said, what are some cool things that you guys think we might encounter on our journey?

For starters, I can almost guarantee we might run into highway men on the roads and bandits while taking the beaten path... but those aren't very exciting!

Perhaps a lone traveler alerts us of a shortcut to our destination through a mountain pass. However, it is rumored that it is guarded by a man eating beast! Upon taking the shortcut we come upon a trail of dozens of slain men, each armed and having massive clawed wounds. As we reach the peak of the mountain pass we notice a cave, and as we approach a bear the size of ten men emerges! Do we test our strength and have our warriors battle the beast, or high tail it back the way we came with our tails between our legs?

What do you all think would be cool to come across?

mindflare77
05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
I would love to see more environmental battles. Not only hazards (blizzards, landslides, forest fires, etc.), but battles that have an environmental issue. For instance, a battle where after, say, 15 units go, new tiles become hazardous (coals, movement impeding snow, rock falls for damage, etc.). In general, I like seeing the struggles against the world as much as I do against the people of it. And without the gods, I feel as though the former struggles have the ability to quickly become more troublesome than the latter.

raven2134
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Would be nice if there were some other hostiles besides the dredge. Maybe something like an elemental/golemn?

I suppose fighting off a pack of wolves might be interesting too.

Given it's a low fantasy setting I'm thinking there won't be things like a dragon...but still designing that kind of enemy/encounter seems interesting. Might make some sense from a single player standpoint too, could design a single large enemy to be composed of several targets/entities which could each take a specific action :) (which would make target priority, range/positioning and initiative order important)

Aleonymous
05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see encounters with some sort of ethical choice to be made, with the respective consequences.

For instance, you fall upon two groups of humans fighting, the one group seemingly outnumbered. You're given options like fighting for one side or the other, leaving them be etc. Depending on the outcome of the event/battle, and your part in it, you could win or lose something. For example, if you aided the outnumbered group who was a pack-of-thieves, and you won, the thieves offer you a handsome reward of stolen loot, but you're marked as bandits from now on. Or, you could have them pledge their support to you, only to double-cross you when you're at a tight spot. If you don't take part in the battle, and you happen upon the thieves on some later time, they could be hostile towards you.

Slimsy Platypus
05-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Oh I nearly forgot!

I really really hope we can have a kind of unexpected "boss" battle completely out of the blue when we encounter some type of epic mythological beast! What beasts roam the world of The Banner Saga are yet to be discovered. My inspiration stems from the epic Kraken battle in Shining Force II (I mean who doesn't remember that Kraken!)

The giant Kraken sea monster did exist in Norse mythology, so maybe it itself makes an appearance! Although, it doesn't seem likely our land walking caravan will come across a deep sea monster... but hey, who knows!

http://s18.postimg.org/ff96wu8tl/krakken_1.png http://s8.postimg.org/3xupyrgit/kraken_2.png

Aleonymous
06-13-2013, 03:12 AM
I'd like to see sea-related stuff too. Viking culture is all-about sea voyaging (hmmm, just like GRRM's Ironmen, now that I think about it - never really made the connection before now :rolleyes:), but the game seems to be focused on land-based exploration/traveling. There are some longships showing here-and-there, but it seems to me that's their just for cosmetic reasons.