PDA

View Full Version : Moderated Posts Change

Sean
05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi all,

As some of you are aware, this site has been getting more and more visibility... to include becoming a target for SEO Spammers (people who essentially spam with hyperlinks to give their sites a higher ranking). Due to this we've had to make a few changes.

The first one is a moderation queue. Now, users with less than two posts will go into a moderation queue whenever they post. This post will have to be approved by a moderator/admin and then it will show up. If you already have more than two posts, it should automatically promote you so you're not moderated... but I have seen cases where your first post (after we made this change) may go into moderation and then you'll be promoted.

To do this, we made a new usergroup and, unfortunately, when I set it up last night, there were a few things I didn't update. I went in this morning and rectified those. So if you were having issues posting last night (to this morning), it may have been caused by that and should no longer be an issue.

There have been a few other changes we've implemented to help with the spambots but most of that should be transparent to all of you. It does things like check accounts against known spambot lists, if you create a profile too fast (as in faster than humanly possible it will deny your account, etc, etc.

Hopefully these efforts will greatly lessen the spam you all see and keep the conversations moving ahead at a steady pace.

If you have any questions or see anything wonky happening, let us know!

Kletian999
05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
The submenu under community, including the "What's new" (forum posts) links are gone. Despite being an established user I still get moderator waits before my posts are visible.

Sean
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
The submenu under community, including the "What's new" (forum posts) links are gone. Despite being an established user I still get moderator waits before my posts are visible.

Ah, permissions systems... so fun! I think I have this now fixed. There were some submenu permissions that were buried. Thanks!

Kletian999
05-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Thank's, what's new is back

Kletian999
05-31-2013, 05:41 AM
Is the "your post must be moderated" delay going to be removed for established users?

raven2134
05-31-2013, 05:58 AM
It shouldn't keep popping up. We're still working on it.

Sean
05-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Is the "your post must be moderated" delay going to be removed for established users?

That is because Sean made a[nother] mistake... one of the primary categories had the Registered Members under the moderate flag and it filtered down to all the forums. That should be fixed now for Registered Members.

Michaele97
11-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I will try this.