PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic iPad Release Today! (not the MMO)

Slimsy Platypus
05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Heyo!

Somehow without hearing any inkling of a word about it, I learned Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was released on iPad today. Now this is not the more recently released MMORPG, this is a single player RPG from Bioware that was released originally on Xbox and PC (and possibly others)years before the MMO.

Now this IS the off-topic forum, but it's not completely off topic! The conversation system pioneered by Bioware in Knights of the Old Republic was unique back then, and not many games have produced an interactive story telling mechanism that competes with it to date! (who am I Kidding, everyone has played Bioware's Mass Effect series) Being that this game entails the bomb-dropping Bioware conversation system, I'm sure it has much influence on the conversation system that will be used in The Banner Saga!

The thing I remember most fondly about this game, is finishing the entire story, watching the ending, then anxiously hitting the restart button and starting all over again! You're constantly probed with the question: what if I did X, Y, or Z differently? And through replays you explore the game in a way that is really rewarding; mainly due to the very high quality of writing and consistency in your troupe's motivations regardless of actions you take. It really makes the party you are playing with feel "alive". Also, you may discover some of the well known pitfalls of the system (wait, If I choose to kill this guy or let him live the same thing happens... RIP OFF).

If you've never played it and are a fan of RPGs, definitely try it out! It's an absolute blast!

Alright, I'm off to get a file started before I hit they hay!

http://s18.postimg.org/czpail3c9/SWKTOR.jpg

Aleonymous
05-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for bringing it to my attention Slimsy. Might try it, although I'm more of a sword+sorcery type of gamer ;) And an intriguing choice of promo-snapshot...

trisenk
05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Statement: If you liked newer Bioware RPGs, you should definitely play this (and then KotOR 2 with community-made patch restoring some cut content), meatbag*. You'll enjoy them even if you don't like Star Wars universe (I certainly don't), they're that good.

(*) This sentence will make more sense after playing these games.

Butters
06-06-2013, 02:31 AM
KOTOR is one of the best RPGs in history regardless of setting and I urge you to play it (both titles) if you haven't already !

Alejandro Mackgyver
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I originally played it as the most insidious evil bastard that ever walked the galaxy. I killed everything I touched and slaughtered everyone I knew (who happened to have good karma).

I vowed never to wield such power again...

Butters
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Aaaargh now I want to play it again.

Thank you Alejandro :mad:

:cool: