PDA

View Full Version : I became a Kickstarter backer the moment I saw this frame...

Forgot69
04-30-2012, 06:12 PM
I became a Kickstarter backer the moment I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aL13cET6Xi0#t=73s) frame from the original video.

Primarily as it reminds me of the truly EPIC PS1 game that is Vandal Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SnxFx1XzOM)! From the character progression to the spell animations and heart pounding/heart breaking critical final strikes that win/loose you hour long battles. ;)

Did this trigger thoughts of classic gaming for anyone else? Anyone remember Vandal Hearts here?

What was your "I'm going to back this project even if it kills me" moment?

KEK7go
04-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I became a Kickstarter when I saw the art.

It also did help that I LOVE Vikings and tactical turnbased RPGs, Tactics Ogre and Disgaea to name a couple.

CollectsWelfare
04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
I became aware of TBS from Cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-amazing-indie-video-games-that-kickstarter-made-possible_p2/). The writer described the game as a "...tactical strategy set in a post-apocalyptic Viking world," which piqued my interest.

That definitely primed me, but the true moment was seeing the 2D viking mending cloth, as the voice-over says the gods are dead. That Stoic isn't making a 3D interactive movie, like Call of Duty 12 or Halo 37 really appealed to me.

Kimberly
04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
I think the tipping point for me was the sentence "The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy." in the pitch. Art, story, strategy? Sign me up! It sounded like exactly the kind of game I wanted. The presentation was great, really getting the idea of the game across.

Hughes_dePayens
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I became a backer after I saw that video posted on a board somewhere, I love tactical strategy games, post(or is it pre?) apocalyptic settings, and mythology. After seeing that the combat was going to be like Final Fantasy Tactics, I knew I couldn't pass it up.

Postal
04-30-2012, 07:44 PM
The art design and landscapes did it for me. The idea of non-stereotypical Norse-mythology game was also really appealing. I love the time period and the history, but not more Loki-Odin-Baldur stories. That, and a lack of DRM.

What about you? As backers, was it one of the reward options, or did you fund it for other reasons?

cichy69
04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I became a backer after I saw that video posted on a board somewhere, I love tactical strategy games, post(or is it pre?) apocalyptic settings, and mythology. After seeing that the combat was going to be like Final Fantasy Tactics, I knew I couldn't pass it up.

Very similar here. Although I stumbled upon Banner Saga (along with Wasteland 2 and FTL :P) on kickstarter while reading an article about Double Fine Adventure. Now I am glad that I could be a part of this project. I think it is going in a very good direction with focus on art of making a great game, art that I think has been lost in recent years.

sergeminator
04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I supported cause I liked the art and the high level description of the gameplay.

Braulio_the_Bold
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Like @CollectsWelfare I became aware of this project through cracked.com and, honestly, that is nothing i didn't like about it. Stratergic-RPG, viking mythology and beautifully drawn 2D.
Honestly, if it was not 2D I wouldn't be so excited about it. It's hard to make a good 3D game. I kept from backing another game that had some nice premises because they were making it 3D and it looked shitty. On the other hand, having nice graphics is not enough, so I prefer having 2D (that can look nice with less investment) and having them investing more on the gameplay and the plot than on anything else. On top of that, hand-drawn 2D make it look even more like a piece of art.

the_steve
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
The biggest reason I became a backer was because of The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and Let's Play The Oregon Trail.

McFly
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Like others have said, I first caught wind of this on Cracked.com in an article about recently successful kickstarter projects. Right off the bat the animation just jumped out at me, it looked so beautiful and reminded me so much of Don Bluth's work. Then the developers did a great job explaining what exactly they wanted to do and the different elements they were trying to bring together for this game, I just had to jump on.

balnoisi
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I think the tipping point for me was the sentence "The Banner Saga is a mature game aimed at gamers who appreciate art, story and strategy." in the pitch. Art, story, strategy? Sign me up! It sounded like exactly the kind of game I wanted.

i agree with you completely. i was sold when i read "classic turn-based gameplay with a strong emphasis on tactics over brute force and endless grinding", "mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing" and "we won't be tied to publishers telling us to change the giants to orcs or dumbing the story down for children". i really hope the developers stay true to these principles.

i've played games like ff tactics adv and they're fun. so combined with interesting characters and story-changing choices sounded even better.

to be honest i also have to say i don't particularly care about vikings, as any other european culture would have done it for me aswell :p though perhaps i shouldn't be saying this where the viking loving hordes might read it.

Ratatoskr
04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Like everyone else I was attracted by the 2D post-apocalyptic viking strategy game description at first. And Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite movies so that certainly helped. But I think what actually made me put my money down was the chance to design my own crest and have it in the actual game. There is just something so cool about that.

Howitzer
04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm another one that first became aware of the kickstarter fund from the cracked.com article about it. I then checked out the promo video and the profiles of the Stoic guys, and that was it.

I love the idea of a Viking inspired FF Tactics, but the real reason I became a backer was due to the classic 1940s style animation. 2D cel animation is becoming a dying art, and I wanted to support it where I could

molamolacolacake
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Like others, I was attracted to the Kickstarter page by that Cracked description of the game. The whole concept appealed to me but I found myself just staring at the art work and wondering why I found it so compelling and familiar. Then someone said "Sleeping Beauty" and it all made sense. My favorite of the Disney classics, I loved that animation.

Sharkey
04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Seeing the art and the early gameplay from the vids, absolutely sold me as soon as I heard "The gods are dead, this is not the problem. The problem is that everyone knows it."

lombot
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I became a backer after seeing the art design. It just looks fantastic

croxeye
04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of games like X-Com and Final Fantasy Tactics, so as soon as I saw that it was a turn-based strategy game I was doomed ;)

Suzie Q Sailaway
04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
For me, it was the passion of the creators & the unique beauty o' the art that totally pushed me over the edge.

chacham
04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I saw the link somewhere, but the video got me. I believed them when they said they wanted to do it right. It's got to be good.

GorillaGrod
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
For me it was the art, it was beautiful. It made me instantly want to be apart of the project, and I had never backed another project prior to this.

Hishalea
04-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I decided to back it as soon as I saw this image (http://stoicstudio.com/uploaded/Prize_cel.jpg) and thought, "I recognise that art style!" It made me want to watch the video, and then it was just a matter of choosing which tier I could afford. :)

Forgot69
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
to be honest i also have to say i don't particularly care about vikings, as any other european culture would have done it for me aswell :p though perhaps i shouldn't be saying this where the viking loving hordes might read it.

I'm the the same boat, awkward pun intended! The viking aspect of this doesn't directly engage me but so many other aspects of it do! It's a beautiful thing they Stoic have created so far and it seems there are so many varied reasons. I'm enjoying reading them all.

Seeing the art and the early gameplay from the vids, absolutely sold me as soon as I heard "The gods are dead, this is not the problem. The problem is that everyone knows it."

Hell yeah, that intro was superb. If those lines set the tone for the game, I'm beyond excited for it. Kudos to whoever wrote that line and that narrators voice.... Wow, just WOW!

Dark Jedi Dave
04-30-2012, 09:16 PM
The art was all I needed to see. I love Eyvind Earle, and 24 years old, I'm not afraid to admit Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite films simply due to the art style; its so unique. Also, I love Final Fantasy Tactics, and being Finnish I fully support the Viking lifestyle! Eyvind Earle art style + FF Tactics gameplay + creators with Bioware background and fans of KODP, this is a dream game to me!

kevinmatheny
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM
When the designers invoked King of Dragon Pass as a design influence. :)

Fleetside
04-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I know one of the founders and I like to support local efforts. Once I started seeing the quality of the art, I knew I had to support this project.

Cryonaka
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

It also did help that I LOVE Vikings and tactical turnbased RPGs, Tactics Ogre and Disgaea to name a couple.
Are you me? Same reasons, I love animation as well and it is not usually something applied to games like this.

TheMidgardKnight
04-30-2012, 09:59 PM
One man influenced my funding of this: AUSTIN WINTORY

Rebel Blob
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I was keeping an eye on The Banner Saga because of the art, setting, and gameplay shown off in the announcement trailer way back in February, which I saw on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Supporting the Kickstarter was a no-brainer, especially when Alex mentioned King of Dragon Pass as an influence along the way.

Socrates
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I became a backer pretty much because Austin Wintory started ordering people to via his Twitter. So after his third Tweet about it, I checked it out. This was right after he'd come on board the project. And the game looks pretty neat + Wintory is a musical god = I fund.

Robert_V_Frazier
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM
The absolutely gorgeous art was the main thing. The game description certainly didn't turn me away. The $10 price tag made it an easy decision. If I recall, the project was fully funded and then some when I first heard about it, so it wasn't a matter of backing the project because it'll never see the light of day if I don't. Which has been a consideration for some of the others I've backed. Banner Saga just looks to be an awesome game at a bargain-basement price for those of us who helped make it happen. I'm glad to be a backer. I expect I'll eventually buy the other two episodes, and I'll probably regret not pre-ordering all three when I had the chance, but I only have so much money.

Sillipenda
04-30-2012, 10:47 PM
The biggest reason I became a backer was because of The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and Let's Play The Oregon Trail.
After seeing what was done with those two games, I knew that the Banner Saga was going to have an excellent story, and that's why I backed it.

TheMidgardKnight
04-30-2012, 11:01 PM
I became a backer pretty much because Austin Wintory started ordering people to via his Twitter. So after his third Tweet about it, I checked it out. This was right after he'd come on board the project. And the game looks pretty neat + Wintory is a musical god = I fund.

Haha, it's funny because he really was doing that.

He did such an amazing job with Journey. I'll admit, I was listening to the Journey OST last night and burst into tears at one point. He did such a fantastic job integrating his work with thatgamecompany's game. It'd be weird to say it wasn't his game after all that.

Anyways, I paid for the $150 pledge so that I could get the soundtrack of this game, signed by the musical god himself. I can't wait to get it!

BarliWeiss
04-30-2012, 11:02 PM
The main reason I pledged this game was because it was different than anything I currently play, yet parts of the video gave me a bit of a "Lemmings" vibe. I'm sure the game isn't even close to that, but the look of having an entire army following in a 2D environment reminded me of that.

I love to support projects that aren't of the norm, and this was one of them. I look forward to hearing more and more about the development.

Refr
04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Definitely the art style for me; no oversized weapons like most fantasy games, nice fluid animation like original prince of persia for the modern day. Also turn-based strategy for the win! Intriguing choices and definitive consequences. Mostly the passion of their pitch sold me through, with that level of dedication I'm confident they will deliver a good experience.

SPenguin
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
The art work did it for me, plus it being a TBS made it so much easier to put down the $$

desiv
04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
The art style and the fact that it's not an FPS...
Nothing against a good FPS, but it's not my favorite style...

A good game/story doesn't need to be 3D.
This looks incredible in 2D...

Looking forward to the progress and the game..

desiv

Pseudocatz
04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Yep, the very same scene that got me into this. Also the artworks remind me of Odin's Sphere, and immediately fell in love with it.

Aaron
04-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I've always been a fan of strategy RPGs like Shining Force and Fire Emblem. I read about The Banner Saga on an indie games blog back in February and took notice. When the Kickstarter was launched, pledging was a no-brainer.

BIFCO
04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
For me the reason why I pledge was to see your dedication to your game by making something very beautiful but clear in the same time. And when you said that our choices will make a difference in the storyline I was in.

Erifnogard
04-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Love the art style and the fact it is turn based strategy and the whole idea of the storyline.

kale
04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
This is such a wonderful cross-section of so many things that I love. Mostly though, I'm a fan of the promise to have a mature storyline with meaningful decisions. The line about mature not meaning sex seems like a poke at BioWare. I live BioWare games, but I'm also excited to see a different take on meaningful storytelling in gaming. Good luck!

benkimball
05-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Easy one! 2D animation, a great story idea, and a reference to my favorite game of all time (X-COM).

Norah
05-01-2012, 01:58 AM
I became a backer when I saw this line: "Make decisions with consequences in conversations with people you'll truly care about."

Skitnik
05-01-2012, 02:50 AM
After the interview at rpg codex, I was convinced. More precisely, and not in particular order, the idea behind the game, the fantastic art, the King of Dragon Pass inspiration, and Stoic's honesty and professional attitude.

sjokomelk
05-01-2012, 03:29 AM

That and:
+ It's Vikings.
+ Looks awesome (can't be said enough ;))
+ Seem to have a solid idea of the direction in which they are going.
+ Game is interesting and seems to be something that I will enjoy playing.

whiskeyjack73
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
I have to say the main reason I backed this game is that I fell in love with the art from the moment I saw it.

Cathmore
05-01-2012, 03:38 AM
I too really fell for the game with that part of the trailer shown in the OP. However, everything about this game seems to be catered directly to me, from the setting to the art to the game play.

I've been looking over Kickstarter for a while trying to find something I was interested in backing and this was how I found TBS.

Evil Laughter
05-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Also saw it on Cracked.com originally went for the $10 but when I heard about using a full orchestra switched to $50. The art and story are doing it for me, also Vikings rock my socks.

Tyburn Roth
05-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I saw it mentioned on an MMORPG blog, Tobold's Blog, been a long time since I've found a single player game that I liked and after watching the video I was hooked.

Juxtapox
05-01-2012, 04:16 AM
Norse theme.
Turn based.
The art.
The story.

Not in that order.

Hydra10
05-01-2012, 04:23 AM
I'd say the biggest thing was the Art and the well done presentation video showing a really good concept. I love tactical R.P.G's like Kings Bounty: The Legend as well.

GiantEnemy
05-01-2012, 04:34 AM
For me it was...

1) Tactical Turn-based RPG (a personal favourite)
2) Norse Theme (vastly underused in games!)
3) Your decisions actually matter (Rare, and rarer still are games that say this and actually live up to it)
4) Embittered ex-Bioware devs

stelly
05-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I loved the art direction and the idea of the Saga in general... but now all I want are those viking cities!! :D

Stelly

Agem
05-01-2012, 05:53 AM
The art style piqued my interest, their impressive résumés sealed the deal.

Blistig
05-01-2012, 05:59 AM
[..] The idea of non-stereotypical Norse-mythology game was also really appealing. I love the time period and the history, but not more Loki-Odin-Baldur stories.

I completely agree with that. The unpredictability of a completely new take on Nordic mythology without the all too familiar Odin&Co made me more excited than any fantasy-, steampunk- or wasteland-setting.
I can't wait to discover the fantastic lore that Mr Thomas created :)

Of course the beautiful art style and the interesting game mechanics were what ultimately led me to back the project, but the setting piqued my interest initially.

Muse
05-01-2012, 06:43 AM
I've been waiting for a new tactical strategy RPG like this for a while, so I had to back this. The art style and setting was also a great selling point.

garnkrevor
05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
I really liked the idea of a game that didn't have you as the "Chosen One" and that alone got me to want to see it made. It didn't hurt that the art and story looked so amazing in the intro video for the kickstarter.

ghost
05-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I loved the artwork. I got the link from Cracked, but when I saw it I knew I had to back it. Also, the rewards were great.

Troll
05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I found a link to Wasteland 2 on Steamgift, then was to redirected to Shadowrun to end on The Banner Saga.
Guess which project I backed ?

What really seduced me is the low-fantasy Viking era approach along with mechanics from great titles and mainly FFT. The art was a great part, be it the one showed for the rewards, or the different views we get with the video, battles and travel.
Now the Austin Wintory is on board the game should not only be a great game and a feast for the eyees, but a feast for the ears. If I hadn't backedp the project at that point, it would have completetely tipped the balance in favor.

Kaffo
05-01-2012, 07:23 AM
The artistic stylings are what drew me in. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Shonen Hero
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm sure I'm just echoing the sentiment of many of my fellow backers, but the art, story and genuine enthusiasm from Stoic is what convinced me to become a backer. That, and I thought'd be the coolest thing to see my family's crest incorporated into the game for others to use at their discretion.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that one of Stoic's influences for the Banner Saga was King of Dragon Pass. :P

dsegel
05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
I became a Kickstarter as soon as I read about this project. I think this is going to be the best game ever. I love the emphasis on strategy and the art and the music are fantastic. I also really liked the creators based on their videos. This was simply a no-brainer. :)

Bronzey
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
I loved the idea of a strategy/RPG game that wasn't necessarily beholden to the whims of a giant publisher and all the demographic market-aiming that goes with it.

Also the art style and music in that reveal trailer are lovely.

Neveryield
05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Uh, all of the above? Sorry, easy way out, but also true.

It was just a perfect storm of every possible hook i'm typically weak against, barbs in my lip dragging me to the surface! Stunning art, turn-based strategy, "King of Dragon Pass", an interesting non-cliche Norse theme, emphasis on a serious mature story that didn't rely on boobs and blood and harsh language (not that i have a problem with that, *ahem*).

Most importantly, though, it was a project that the studio is clearly very deeply passionate about. That counts for a lot to me.

Minion135
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
I actually decided to because of the kickstarter video they put up. The way they talked about the game and everything let me know how genuine they were about making this game the right way. How could I not support something so ambitious and awesome?

Oaden
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Art style and i love games like final fantasy tactics and tactics ogre and I'm really hoping this game will rival those.

Gilaras
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Cracked ftw, basically.

hannula
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
The style pretty much. Time will tell if it was a smart move

kincajou
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I followed this initially from RockPaperShotgun but what made me really interested with the project was

-the narrator's voice in the trailer (and what it says)
- "A mature story for adults means forming relationships and making tough decisions; not sex, violence and swearing."

at that last sentence i was sold!

azlaroc
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I happen upon it as as I was backing DoubleFine Adventure and browsing for other projects. The art style itself just grabbed me, classic Disney with Nordic themes, complete with what appears to be classic rotoscoping. It just tugs at the heartstrings.

MightyMeeple
05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
When I saw "strategy RPG", the artwork style, and the pedigree of these three guys...I simply had to support this project!

JokerAR
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
The team's clear enthusiasm towards their combat system hooked me- I've played and enjoyed a variety of tactics-esque titles but the Kickstarter video gave me the hope that there's a little something different to the Banner Saga's content. A cross between chess and FFT keeps being mentioned in interviews which sounds pretty good to me!

TheBurningFist
05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
tactical combat + interesting/different kind of story + ART = <3

kak268
05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
The art drew me in for my entry level pledge and then I upped my pledge twice because I was so impressed with Stoic. They had a common sense attitude and seemed to manage the project and expectations well. I figured if they can manage a kickstarter this well, I bet they will do an excellent job managing their budget and project after the funding drive is over. I have yet to see a kickstarter that is as well managed as this one. I also liked how the comments section was tame and supportive. I was really rooting for them to hit the 700k at the end. Also Jessica offering to design the logos sure did make it fun in the final days!

Kenrae
05-01-2012, 02:24 PM
The fact that it's mature and the story is an important part. I also love mythology too. Of course I like strategy and RPG games, I'm sure I'll like the gameplay. On top of that they later mentioned King of Dragon Pass, one of the best games I've ever played, and that reassured me of my choice.

kolo83
05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Checked almost everything... in this campaign everything played smoothly.

Wyatt
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I like the premise and style, the team is both proven and super enthusiastic with a really good attitude, and turn-based tactical grids? Ah the things you do to me! That's something I have no end of love for (sorry, I'll not admit in public how many hours I've burned on games from NIS, and especially not on Final Fantasy: Tactics). But honestly? I wouldn't have backed were it not for the promise of a Linux version. That was the real honest-to-goodness tipping point. I'm one of those (for now) aberrations that does not dual boot and doesn't have any other OS. I'm overjoyed that Kickstarter is letting us put out money where our mouth is to finally get a more-regular flow of good games to our OS. Looking forward to it!

knivesalot
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Well, I became a backer as soon as they talked about Knights of the Old Republic because I know that anything associated with kotor has to be good.

P.S. I hate morpg's and how they keep ruining my favorite game series, so I'm hoping that this game might fill that kotor/ warcraft void.

FuhFuhFresh
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I devour anything similar to FFT, so this was incredibly welcome. The genre doesn't get much love these days.

MasterG
05-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I became a backer once I saw the passion for the game from the game's creators. They made me believe they would put their hearts and souls into the game. The art style was an extra bonus.

jyng89
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I became a backer when devs stopped making Strategy turn based rpg games for PC :P

Amdae
05-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I LOVED the art for the game. But I would not have put in as much to support as I did if the Devs were not as experienced as they are.
The whole concept as presented in the initial video really sold it. :)

riverbird
05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I saw an article in gamasutra and followed the link. It is the first Kickstarter campaign that I jumped onto immediately. I love the art and the style of game.

FoH
05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
For me it was their Linux support :)

hannibal
05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
1) It's a Tactical RPG
2) Very nice art design

Manaleshi
05-02-2012, 02:14 PM
The art, the setting, the genre of game.... if people vote with their wallets, I wanted my vote counted.

kevin
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I was really struck by how great the artwork was, with so much attention to detail. Most of the artwork looks like the kind of stuff I wish I could do. Then I saw it was turn-based strategy and that was all the more I needed to know ;)

Biowulf
05-02-2012, 04:05 PM
It's hard to say. Are you sure we have to select just one? :P I was drawn in by cracked when I saw the whole mature storyline meant for adults. After I watched the promo video on Kickstarter I loved the art design and the Viking themes and really everything. I was especially glad to hear the developers doing this independently and even renting a small studio to record their animations and all that stuff. I just loved the idea as soon as I saw the site, really.

SectionOne
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I became a Backer after I saw the Video on the Kickstarter Page! The graphical style reminds me of my childhood, when I watched Disney Films ;)

Kimberly
05-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I became a Backer after I saw the Video on the Kickstarter Page! The graphical style reminds me of my childhood, when I watched Disney Films ;)

The art style is specifically inspired by Sleeping Beauty, so you're quite right to be reminded!

VbeltDRG
05-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Vikings and the Art style got me to back it, but the music is what made me increase it.

Ettanin
05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
For me, the trailers reminded me of the original Myth: The Fallen Lords which had an amazingly epic story around kinda, sort of Nordic characters. Then, as I looked deeper, I realized that most games that I'm playing seem to be missing a real soul.

The Monkey
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
For me, I've been dying to get my hands on a new GOOD rpg that would really captivate my interest and make me feel that I've entered a new world. There have been so many disappointments in the RPG genre lately that I looked to kickstarter to see if there was an idea worth supporting... and within 30 sec. of seeing "The Banner Saga", I was completely sold!

kyubajin
05-04-2012, 02:52 AM
The whole premise of the game had me wowed from the very beginning.

Morte
05-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Art style and premise of the story woke my interest, the enthusiasm of the developers made me a backer.

lamaz
05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I decided to get the game when I first saw a screenshot of the the caravan traveling. This was before the kickstarter campaign and when I heard about the campaign I immediately decided to back it. All of this based on one screenshot. So definitely the art style, but the setting and game's genre are also very cool.

Sir Falstaff
05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I started investigating this game after reading the cracked article. It appeared to be a Final Fantasy Tactics-style game where choices mattered (rather than being all railroad-y) and you have to make management decisions a la King of Dragon Pass... which makes it the game I've been waiting for most of my life. Very exciting!

nolnacs
05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
For me it was the trailer - specifically those opening lines: "The gods are dead. That is not the problem. The problem is that everyone knows it." I had chills running down my spine after hearing that. I was hooked after those couple of seconds. Then the discussion of decisions that actually matter, the interesting 2d animation... my willpower was gone and Stoic got my money.

Rebel Bee
05-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Beautiful and nostalgic art style? Tactical combat? A mature storyline shaped by decisions the player makes? Post-apocalyptic viking setting? I don't know for sure which one I fell for first, but I fell hard.

I couldn't bring myself to not pitch in.

girladventuring
05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Another Cracked.com devotee here, I'd never backed anything on Kickstarter before but the dedication to story was what got me. The art, Vikings, and professional excitement of the developers didn't hurt, and when they announced the possibility of an orchestra I upped my pledge to $150 just because...and I couldn't resist the opportunity to get all the awesome schwag that came along with it. Because let's be real, the kickstarter prizes are BOSS.

Electric Chad
05-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Came for the strategy rpg. Stayed for the art.

Drusain
05-07-2012, 11:20 PM
It looked like it might work as a good turn-based tactical RPG to fool around with. So for someone like me, I'm still dying to know the actual mechanics of the combat and class systems will work!

playmaker44
05-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Same here, found it on cracked as well. I've never looked much into independent gaming like these guys but I needed something deviating from blockbuster games. $15 for everything they promise was an easy decision.

Noxvayl
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
I guess I am biased, my distant ancestors were Vikings so I have a natural attraction to them out of curiosity of my lineage. The Kickstarter campaign caught my attention because of the RPG elements and I backed the project as soon as I heard Vikings get mentioned in the video.

The art style intrigued me, the trailer was great, story seemed interesting and the music was appealing but in the end all I needed to know was that the game was about vikings and had RPG elements.

Aklyon
05-15-2012, 05:23 PM
The thing that sold me on it (besides vikings being rather awesome in general as a setting), was that line at the beginning of the trailer.
"The gods are dead, this is not the problem. The problem is that everyone knows it."

Haruna
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I love Fire Emblem. I really wish Fire Emblem had a branching storyline that reflected my actions and how I battle.

Same with Final Fantasy Tactics. This game sounds perfect for what I want!

Lothar the Fellhanded
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I was sold at one of the dialogue screens, where a male character is speaking to a female character, and you're controlling his response. She asks him "If the gods are dead, who will save us?"

One of the options is, and the one I'm going to pick if that makes it into the final game, is...
"We will save ourselves."

Hells yeah! The gods are dead, but we remain, and we will survive!

SpaceyJess
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
The art style is what really got me interested in the game. The fact that they wanted something similar to 'Sleeping Beauty' (which is my all time favorite Disney movie) to me was just amazing! I'm not aware of any modern games that use hand drawn animation like this. It makes me super excited about this game and any future games that they may want to make!

Ettanin
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I became a backer because I liked the story behind Stoic...a couple of guys leaving the corporate game world to pursue their dreams in a risky startup. It's the biggest gamble a person could ever make, you're basically betting your life. Life will never be the same. I made the same choice as a writer years ago and I was able to meet with some success, but it definitely hasn't been easy.

The vikings were merely icing on the cake.

Rhian
05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I became a Kickstarter to this game when my dearest friend Rowan told me about it, and I took a look at what was going on :)

I am really missing a RPG with a deep atmospheric story, world and characters. I am so sick of the mainstream-poo the other gaming companies released over the years, cutting out scenes or leaving half-eaten incomplete plots... and all in the name to satisfy Wallstreet investors instead of their actual customers : us

I see here a huge potential of an epic story and RPG :)

I A
05-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I decided to jump into it because of the the enthusiasm the developers showed, as well their prior work. They seemed to really want to get this game right in the tone of their choosing, and that was worth a pledge.

JVH
05-25-2012, 08:09 AM
I find it odd that the turn-based aspect has been omitted from the poll ;-). No I have to choose other.

overburning
05-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Love the art, the RPG, mature story, but the thing that drove me to kickstart it is the turn based gameplay.

smalltime0
05-27-2012, 08:43 PM
What interested me was the art style, game-play and story ideas. What made me back was the development team, otherwise I wouldn't believe that it could be done.

Anderan
05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I pledged to this after finding Kickstarter through the Double Fine Adventure Game. I was interested in the art and can always love a good dark (mature) fantasy story.

shdb
05-30-2012, 03:35 AM
story & the art style for me. Luckily the gameplay ain't half bad either :)

mothergeek
06-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Banner saga weaves all the elements of game playing that attracts me into one irresistible world. The imagery, an evolving engaging story line, myths, interaction, fighting style and the HUMOUR! The word viking drew me in but the deciding point was turn-based strategy role-playing game

I recall Vandal Hearts as being a darn tricky fun puzzle. I'm a Suikoden II and Diablo fan.

CodeCow
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Story, Art, Premise, Music, ..Just about everything interested me to it and gave me high hopes it would be amazing.

RobinInSeoul
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Austin signed up to do the music after I became a backer. But, I may have come on board just for that! He did the music for our Angel Between the Lines audio drama. :) www.angelbetweenthelines.com

Mikhos
10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
It had to be the art style. It's just leagues apart from everything that is coming out, and the old Norse mythology is such a powerful interest of mine. It was love at first sight.

Reaver.man
10-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I became aware of TBS from Cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-amazing-indie-video-games-that-kickstarter-made-possible_p2/). The writer described the game as a "...tactical strategy set in a post-apocalyptic Viking world," which piqued my interest.

Same here.

NDC
10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
What appealed was primarily the art, design, and the milieu you'd chosen - after all, who doesn't like Vikings? But the clincher was that the game would run on my old PPC MAC: she's been sitting in the corner gathering dust and is as excited as I am! :D

OriKlein
10-26-2012, 03:27 AM
I tagged everything. It all applies!

Philippa
10-28-2012, 03:54 AM
I'd click everything on that poll if I could. It just looked and sounded perfect :)

Whiteredeye
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I heard about the project from a blog post by Austin Wintory, and after the awesomeness that was Journey, I knew that he would only work on something that was made with heart and soul. That, and the fact that I love based SRPGs, I really enjoy these kinds of games but there aren't too many being made anymore.

Byuu
11-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I mostly just wanted the pretty poster.

But the game looked mighty promising as well, artwork, setting, and gameplay were all appealing to me.

Maura
11-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Cracked introduced me to the Banner Saga as well. I joined in because it pretty much has everything I ever wanted in a game. But roughly in order of draw, for me:
Tactical, turn-based RPG
Intriguing plot premise and implications of interesting gameplay elements outside of battle
Art style
Committed and inventive developers
Music/narration

franknarf
11-11-2012, 03:50 PM
For me...

Turn-based tactics > animation > anti-quicksave strategy-layer > RPG elements (level-able characters, persistent between battles; interesting choices in the strategy layer)

This poll needs to list "tactical battles". I also backed TBS because it looked like all of these elements had been well thought out, and, to an incredible extent, polished. Of course, I heard about it through RPS (though I may have seen it on Kickstarter first).

Celebrochan
11-13-2012, 06:29 PM
I was researching "King of Dragon Pass" and loved the idea of random events affecting the story. When I heard that the Banner Saga was a spiritual successor to the King of Dragon pass... I couldn't not buy it...

Erik the Red
11-25-2012, 12:45 AM
I payed for Factions for a lot of the above. However, I think my "other", to me, was the most important. It is not for RPG, but rather TBT "Turn Based Tactics". Memories of Final Fantasy Tacitics or Chrono Trigger are pretty profound in my mind and this is the first game in a very long time that I've played that's similar.

icarussc
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
The gorgeous art (I love Sleeping Beauty) and the fascinating King-of-Dragon-Pass style story ideas really attracted me. But what made me comfortable with forking over lots of money (as I backed at the $125 level)was the obvious competence and experience of the devs. It wasn't just pie-in-the-sky, they had a plan, some prototypes, and they knew what they were doing.

Allvaldr
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
I love turn based games. I absolutely love Vikings. The art style looked cool. And I liked what I saw of the designers.

The New Romance
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
The art, and the fact that it's sort of a tactical RPG. And the option to design your own crest :)

Isak
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
I backed the Kickstarter project because of the enthusiasm of the developers and their dedication to this project - leaving their safe work environment to venture out of their nest like small birds throw themselves to the ground in an attempt to fly. I believed in them and still do! They are truly amazing for what they have done! Great work guys!
All thats left for me now is to download and enjoy the game!
// A real swedish viking.