PDA

View Full Version : unstable game

GorillaKhan
08-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I am getting soooooo tired of this game crashing and freezing. It now happens multiple times per session. As I write this, the game has frozen in the middle of a match. It used to be that it only crashed in the pre game load, and froze at the end of a game. Now it drives me crazy! The worst part is seeing it die in the middle of a game. I love Factions, but this is really, really frustrating.

Aleonymous
08-25-2013, 03:09 AM
From the issues you describe, I've been having only the problems at game-load or at the end-game. I've rarely had the freeze-in-the-middle issue (well, setting "Stormy Seas" apart), but I've had terrible lag sometimes. One time, each of my opp's turns seemed to take like 2-3 mins. I couldn't speak to him -- he didn't respond to chat -- but perhaps he was experiencing the same situation reversed. The match finished normally, but it took like an hour instead of 20 mins.

What perplexes me is how these issues come and go, with apparently nothing chaning. For instance, for a month I've been having CTDs at game-load everytime I launched the game (fortunately, it always worked on the 2nd attempt to launch). And then, suddenly, it's been several weeks that this has ceased to happen at all.

The CDT at game-load is surely related to local issues (Steam- & Game-client version incompatibilities, settings etc). The severe lag can be attributed to one of the two players having network issues, as well as server latency. The freezing at-the-end or, suddenly at-the-middle is may also be related to either of the two...

Maybe, when a lot of players confirm such problems simultaneously at the global-chat, we could send a "distress signal" to Stoic, for a "server kick"?

stoicmom
08-25-2013, 06:41 AM
which is what i do often, Aleo, when i see people in chat and/or on the website frustrated by these issues. Sometimes i am also going through what they are experiencing and sometimes not, but i send out a request to help@stoicstudio.com or john@stoicstudio.com for a server kick. one thing that consistently happens to me regarding freezing or crashing is a steam update. i literally have to turn off my computer and start all over again to get out of the game. Understand your frustration GorillaKhan! i have asked in chat if anyone else just had a crash at the time of an update and most of the time nobody else did :p

GorillaKhan
08-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the comments Aleonymous and stoicmom. Maybe I'll email John a suspicion I have...I assume that everyone has the same "end of day" visavi the server time when a new day starts, (or maybe not). However I've noticed that quite possibly every day, after a freeze or crash, upon relaunch, I've aged a day. I know this because the banner for "Daily Login Streak" has reset. (today is day 58). Has anyone else noticed this? I think it's happening for me enough that it's not a coincidence.

It's the addition of the mid game freeze that's really getting me. When I first posted, the frozen game I mentioned actually died mid-move...my archer had drawn back the sting, but no arrow every flew.

Aleonymous
08-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Funny thing. CTDs at first launch started again for me :( Speaking of the devil, as they say :D

About this Daily Login Streak counter, I haven't made any such observations, i.e. mine seems to move "normally". So, you're saying that if you get multiple freezes/crashes per day, the Login-counter increases multiple times within the same day? If that's the case, then surely they can be related; but, this seems rather a symptom/side-effect than the cause of your problems. :confused:

For myself, I noticed the Login-counter increases somewhere in my sleep time (between 0h-8h GMT), so I guess that the +1 happens with respect to some USA-midnight time (perhaps Austin/Texas?). On the other hand, perhaps it keeps track of last-login for each player separately.

stoicmom
08-26-2013, 06:49 AM
np's for me when it comes to the daily login streak, up to 189 days in row as of this morning. use to get confused about how that worked (prbly cause i was new to gaming), but it has been consistent - changes for me between 20:00 and 20:30 each evening. Hope this gets corrected for you soon, GorillaKhan! Yesterday was tooooo long for the server issue through Amazon by way of heroku or however that is spelled. Game down for almost 5 hours on my end :p

we use amazon for DB and Rabbit, and Heroku for app servers (quote from John in chat)

GorillaKhan
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Sorry for the confusion, what I'm implying is that I suspect that my client crashes at or around the time of the "new day", though it certainly crashes at other times too.

stoicmom
08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
understood!

Aleonymous
08-27-2013, 05:12 AM
GorillaKhan, have you contacted Stoic about this? Have they replied and/or proposed any solution?

If so, please provide some feedback here, because these problems typically affect many members of the community, who exercise a passive stance to sharing their experiences (i.e. they read the forums but they don't post).

GorillaKhan
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks Aleonymous. I shared my suspicion with John. They're investigating.

GorillaKhan
09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I haven't heard back from John, other than a confirmation of receiving my email, however I've noticed that in the last few days crashes are way down. In fact I've been playing for 3-4 hours tonight without a single crash.

Aleonymous
09-04-2013, 01:55 AM
Good news GorillaKhan :) Hopefully it will stay that way. Alas, my experience has shown that the game is quite moody, so you should be prepared to experience anything between those two extremes.